News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As of now, picking 5th

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 19, 2023, 09:39:04 PMI'd much rather have the conversation at the end of the year about how the players didn't quit on each other and the head coach than what we're going to do with the #1 or #2 pick if it comes at the expense of the team quitting on the coach.  If that results in a nominally worse draft position, so be it. 
It's been said before but I think it's worth repeating: players play to win. We as fans generally say things in the heat of the moment and our emotions drive them. We are not the players. We don't practice multiple times a week, throw our bodies around risking injury, to "give a good effort and come up short so we can get a high draft pick."

That's not the mentality or psyche of a player. The majority of them have played this game since they were single-digit years. They're taught to play to win. That doesn't change in the pros. Their pride and ego are on the line every week. Sure, some players make 'business decisions' but by and large, as a unit, they don't quit.

Fans can sit and hope for a loss to get a higher draft pick. Players don't think the same.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

UncannyGfan

The worst team should get the first pick and so on.  Deliberately losing to cheat the system isn't good for the integrity of the game.  It's harmful and unfair to the players who are giving it their all.

The giants have a great defense that is going to get them victories despite a terrible offense.  Because of their overall talent they shouldn't be picking number one. While I'm optimistic, even I was surprised yesterday that they could win with an undrafted 3rd string rookie QB.  I hope he wins a few more and they end up with an appropriate draft pick that reflects the talent of the team, averaged over the course of a season.  Draft talk before the season ends distracts from the joy of watching the games.

If Thomas, Jones, Barkley, and Taylor weren't injured we wouldn't have started this debate.

bobalobabingbong

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 20, 2023, 12:33:32 AMYou're sharing some good data but keep in mind the Chiefs and Bills did trade up for Mahomes and Allen. They didn't move up into the top-5 but they didn't let the draft come to them either. They knew who they wanted and gave up draft capital to get their guy.
You're right.  I think that means there is not one way to do it.  So if either way can produce results, I'm for the in where we win games.  Maybe the best QB we've seen was selected 199th. 
- Dan

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

BluesCruz

i think we have our QB

if tommy continues like this. draft the best available talent   give jones a seat on the bench
as #2

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on November 20, 2023, 12:33:32 AMYou're sharing some good data but keep in mind the Chiefs and Bills did trade up for Mahomes and Allen. They didn't move up into the top-5 but they didn't let the draft come to them either. They knew who they wanted and gave up draft capital to get their guy.
No I agree,I was just saying they got their guy but at #7 and 10 and didn't necessarily need to be in the top 3 to find their guy.

Gmo11

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 20, 2023, 09:26:11 AMi think we have our QB

if tommy continues like this. draft the best available talent   give jones a seat on the bench
as #2

Based on 1 good game, against a terrible team? 

B1GBLUE

as #2

lets see how he develops, and plays against top tier teams. also- if the skins dont turn it over 6 times yesterday they probably win that game. i like what im seeing from him so far. but he looks pretty good for an UDFA in his second game. he has what, 6 td in 3 games now? not bad kid.

Philosophers

as #2

1 game? GMAFB

Philosophers

Honestly, I'd like to see Neal improve a lot to where there is no doubt he's he will be at least an above average ROT yet Giants still pick top 5 so wr can get a QB with the pick or trade back and still get a QB and also get a draft haul.

It'd be great to see a clear core of 7 players + to build off of plus this upcoming draft.

uconnjack8

Quote from: T200 on November 20, 2023, 08:30:06 AMIt's been said before but I think it's worth repeating: players play to win. We as fans generally say things in the heat of the moment and our emotions drive them. We are not the players. We don't practice multiple times a week, throw our bodies around risking injury, to "give a good effort and come up short so we can get a high draft pick."

That's not the mentality or psyche of a player. The majority of them have played this game since they were single-digit years. They're taught to play to win. That doesn't change in the pros. Their pride and ego are on the line every week. Sure, some players make 'business decisions' but by and large, as a unit, they don't quit.

Fans can sit and hope for a loss to get a higher draft pick. Players don't think the same.

Tim,

great post.  Sometimes it seems like fans think players and coaches would be in a tank job.  I don't think either could ever fathom losing on purpose for a variety of reasons. 

First, its just pride and ego, but there is a lot more to it than that.

If you are Daboll and try to tank, the players will see it out and turn on you and it won't be pretty.  Then you will be out of job. 

For the players, higher draft picks just mean they may find themselves with a rookie taking their job next year.  Or better yet, if they are in a contract year, they put low effort on film for their next potential teams....

Owners might want to take sometimes and FO's might even try to set a roster up for failure (look at Houston the last couple of years), but players and coaches don't have that luxury. 

I get the want of a higher draft pick in a year like this, but I don't think we should expect or want the players and coaches to lie down for what we hope is the next great Giants QB.

T200

Quote from: uconnjack8 on November 20, 2023, 01:12:14 PMTim,

great post.  Sometimes it seems like fans think players and coaches would be in a tank job.  I don't think either could ever fathom losing on purpose for a variety of reasons. 

First, its just pride and ego, but there is a lot more to it than that.

If you are Daboll and try to tank, the players will see it out and turn on you and it won't be pretty.  Then you will be out of job. 

For the players, higher draft picks just mean they may find themselves with a rookie taking their job next year.  Or better yet, if they are in a contract year, they put low effort on film for their next potential teams....

Owners might want to take sometimes and FO's might even try to set a roster up for failure (look at Houston the last couple of years), but players and coaches don't have that luxury. 

I get the want of a higher draft pick in a year like this, but I don't think we should expect or want the players and coaches to lie down for what we hope is the next great Giants QB.
Great point!

In basketball, it's easier to "tank" under the guise of "load management" and the fact that they have an 82-game schedule and the contracts are guaranteed. NFL players don't have that luxury.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: