News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you see Tommy DeVito doing for the Giants in 2024?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think DeVito will be doing for the Giants in 2024?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 23, 2023, 10:54:48 AMDB,

I think the result will be based on a number of factors:

- How TD Tommy plays out the season. Not so much winning games but how he plays in them.

- I strongly feel Jones won't be ready by camp or the beginning of the season. If he's close to being ready to start the season, I don't see them rushing him out there. However, that will depend largely on how the rookie and TD Tommy look in camp and preseason. If it's a good battle and they both look relatively good, Jones will wait. If they look like trash, they may push Jones to get ready sooner rather than later.

TD Tommy will be the Week 1 starter unless he just stinks it up for the rest of the year and camp/preseason. They may very well carry three QBs.

In the end, it all comes down to how Tommy does. His play will be the big determining factor.

I'm no doctor, but I have consistently read that the prognosis for Jones is 8-10 months. So let's say 9 months. That puts him ready to go sometime in August. Jones is as disciplined as they come, so we know he won't miss a beat on rehabbing this thing. I bet he's ok by the end of August. Maybe they PUP him though in order to roster DeVito.

If they draft a QB in the top two or three I really struggle to see them going with DeVito as the week one starter, but I will grant you that if he plays the rest of this season the way he played last Sunday then that's totally possible. It would be kind of a weird look though. Maye and Williams are elite level prospects. I'm not saying that automatically means they'll be elite players, but they're not the sorts of prospects that usually sit out the first month or two as rookies. We'll see though. The Giants did do that with Eli and he was the number one overall pick.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 11:08:47 AMSo Jones starts the season on the IR, even if he's good to go? I guess that could be one way to get from point A to point B.
He might start on PUP.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Is inventing an injury for DeVito to avoid losing him on waivers really something you can see this franchise doing? Surely that's a serious rules infraction. Would Mara and the team's doctors really ok something like that?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 11:17:46 AMIs inventing an injury for DeVito to avoid losing him on waivers really something you can see this franchise doing? Surely that's a serious rules infraction. Would Mara and the team's doctors really ok something like that?
Let's just say that I've had my doubts when UFAs and 7th-round draft picks have gone on IR in the past. In some cases, the injury rehab wasn't more than a few weeks but they pulled the plug on the season. It's very rare for a player not to be working through one or more injuries during the season. But to answer your question, no. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 23, 2023, 12:08:22 PMLet's just say that I've had my doubts when UFAs and 7th-round draft picks have gone on IR in the past. In some cases, the injury rehab wasn't more than a few weeks but they pulled the plug on the season. It's very rare for a player not to be working through one or more injuries during the season. But to answer your question, no. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. 

I thought it might be or might partially be. I hear you that it probably happens plenty though.

I still don't see an easy way to keep DeVito without rostering three QBs (ie eliminating a position player somewhere) if they draft a QB.

If DeVito plays less like he did last Sunday for the rest of the season and more like what you'd expect from a player with his profile, I have a feeling he won't be a Giant next year. It's just hard to see unless he's so awful that he actually clears waivers again, and I don't think that will be the case.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 01:03:20 PMI thought it might be or might partially be. I hear you that it probably happens plenty though.

I still don't see an easy way to keep DeVito without rostering three QBs (ie eliminating a position player somewhere) if they draft a QB.

If DeVito plays less like he did last Sunday for the rest of the season and more like what you'd expect from a player with his profile, I have a feeling he won't be a Giant next year. It's just hard to see unless he's so awful that he actually clears waivers again, and I don't think that will be the case.
In 2004, Eli, Warner and Lorenzen.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 23, 2023, 01:12:24 PMIn 2004, Eli, Warner and Lorenzen.

Yup.

Giants kept their players healthier then though. Since Ronnie Barnes has more job security than anyone else in America, Daboll/Schoen may not feel like they can afford the luxury burning a precious roster spot on a third QB.

We shall see.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 01:15:45 PMYup.

Giants kept their players healthier then though. Since Ronnie Barnes has more job security than anyone else in America, Daboll/Schoen may not feel like they can afford the luxury burning a precious roster spot on a third QB.

We shall see.
They knew they would be starting Kurt and easing Eli in while developing JL as the backup. It was a good plan but they screwed Warner and Lorenzen might have earned a starting job on another team. It was good for Eli.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

I'd guess we keep three QBs next season because of the Jones injury. You just can't depend on him being back.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 23, 2023, 02:18:37 PMI'd guess we keep three QBs next season because of the Jones injury. You just can't depend on him being back.

Plus, if we're being legitimately honest with ourselves, you can't really depend on him after he is back either.

BluesCruz

Lets see how the season plays out

I Devito wins out and does it convincingly and we make the playoffs, it would be insane to not keep him as the starter.

Daniel Jones has gone from adequate last year to a disaster this year

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Dgoodmantrublu

This must be some great alternate reality you live in. DeVito has been awful all but one game against a really bad defense. He's not winning out. He's not a starting NFL QB.

DaveBrown74

DeVito will not be the Giants starter next year. It's not happening.

The question is whether or not they can figure out a way to get him on the roster at all if they draft a QB.

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 24, 2023, 12:36:40 PMLets see how the season plays out

I Devito wins out and does it convincingly and we make the playoffs, it would be insane to not keep him as the starter.

Daniel Jones has gone from adequate last year to a disaster this year

If we beat the Patriots, Packers, and Saints (All winable, if we play like we did this week)- we are 6-7. with 3 games to go

Rams and Eagles- Tough games

the final game against the Eagles they might be playing the bench

Its do-able, and would quiet all the naysayers
For a kid who's made only his second start, coming out light years behind the rest of the league, and to do what he did against any Pro Defense was impressive. I want to see how he works off that performance against a HOF Defensive mind. Looks like the game isn't too fast for him.

I wouldn't predict anything at this point. I liked a lot of what I saw and I saw areas where he can improve.

He's one of the pleasant surprises I can root for. As for the rest, your lips to God's Ears.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

quacker

Don't really know what his role will be but I hope if he's playing he performs better than DJs paralysis by analysis style of route reading.