News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Remaining candidates for Giants DC position

Started by shadowspinner0, February 01, 2024, 11:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Crystal clear that Schoen got outmaneuvered....now it's on him

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on February 03, 2024, 12:19:23 AMCrystal clear that Schoen got outmaneuvered....now it's on him

In fairness, the Giants were in a very weak position:

1)  Coordinators prefer to come in with the new HC so they know they have at least 2 or 3 seasons

2)  The disaster that was the Wink departure (regardless of how fans feel or spin it) has made jobs working under Daboll less attractive

3) Even before all of that, the cost of living (and taxes) and the salaries NYG pays made the assistant coaching jobs at NYG, not the most attractive
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

What exactly does an assistant head coach do? Both during games and during the week?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 03, 2024, 08:32:43 AMWhat exactly does an assistant head coach do? Both during games and during the week?

From what I can see from the outside looking in, it's more of an honorary title than anything.  I guess the title can bring a few more responsibilities, but that varies on a case-by-case basis.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 03, 2024, 08:34:21 AMFrom what I can see from the outside looking in, it's more of an honorary title than anything.  I guess the title can bring a few more responsibilities, but that varies on a case-by-case basis.

Agreed.

He's not the boss, he isn't making fourth down or timeout or challenge decisions, and he isn't calling plays or in charge of any unit. He can be an advisor to the head coach and can have a good relationship with the players, and he can help in strategy meetings with gameplanning and just providing general insights, but it doesn't seem like that big of a job to me. It certainly seems like a lesser role than his previous one of defensive coordinator.

One consideration is that in the event that he got hired away to a HC role in a future year, the Seahawks might get picks for that given he is a minority. I'm not sure if that rule applies to "assistant head coaches", but it very well might. So if it does, there is an outside chance of that being a possibility too I guess.

Woody

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Woody on February 03, 2024, 09:20:38 AMWink is still out there  :what:  /sarcasm/

It is kind of interesting that Wink still hasn't been hired. There are still openings though, like Dallas.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 03, 2024, 09:22:22 AMIt is kind of interesting that Wink still hasn't been hired. There are still openings though, like Dallas.

While the drama has no doubt hurt the Giants during the hiring process, it also sullied Wink's reputation as well.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 03, 2024, 09:25:33 AMWhile the drama has no doubt hurt the Giants during the hiring process, it also sullied Wink's reputation as well.   

Agreed.

While I have no ill will towards Wink and hope he gets a job he's happy with, the harder a time he has getting hired, the better (or less bad) a look this whole episode will be for Daboll.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 03, 2024, 09:37:29 AMAgreed.

While I have no ill will towards Wink and hope he gets a job he's happy with, the harder a time he has getting hired, the better (or less bad) a look this whole episode will be for Daboll.

I am not sure Wink struggling to get another job will help Daboll's image any.  Daboll's issues that were exposed will not be made better by Wink's fate.   Winning and demonstrated improvement by Daboll will.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

If the Giants do not make a hire for a DC this week , it tells me that now their first choice is Brendan Daly

MightyGiants

Pat Traina (I think it was Pat) I heard it on her podcast) had another reason the Giants DC position is less attractive.  The Giants have most of the defensive staff in place, it's not like the new DC will be able to hire his own staff.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Patti's point is valid. We have fairly reliable info from the more reliable beat writers that the Giants value and want to keep their key D coaches. This means any new DC potentially only gets two meaningful hires, the vacant OLB coach and a personal assistant if they want one. Any DC coming in probably has several guys they ideally want to bring. Would we sacrifice eg Henderson or Patterson to accommodate them?
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.