News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

The one thing about going WR at 6 with hopefully an improved OL is that if it all comes together yet DJ still does not play well enough or gets another neck injury, we will know for sure going into 2025 we need a new starting QB.

GordonGekko80

Drafting another OL at #6 is probably the worst we can do at this point.

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on March 19, 2024, 09:03:40 AMThe one thing about going WR at 6 with hopefully an improved OL is that if it all comes together yet DJ still does not play well enough or gets another neck injury, we will know for sure going into 2025 we need a new starting QB.
QB Hell.

There will always be a circumstance that gives Jones more time.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

ViewFromSection129

I trust the Giants QB evaluations.  The problem with QB is that I really doubt the Giants see all four QB's being talked about at the top of round 1 to be interchangeable.  So, if they want a QB, they almost certainly need to try and move up.  You can't wait and hope your guy drops, as the opportunity cost is so high on QB.  So if we stay at six, I have to assume that they want another position other than QB, or are hoping one falls and they can trade out and pick up more picks.  Playing chicken when you want a QB isn't the right move.

This all said, I don't see JJ as a top six pick.  I would not be thrilled with picking him.

JT39

No matter who goes where withthe top 4 QB - they all need support staffs from coaches and players to be successful. The 3rd or 4th QB taken could be more successful than the first QB taken but it doesnt necessarily mean he is better.

Look at Minnesota.
- good OL
- Best WR in the game
- very good up and coming number 2 WR is Addison
- very good TE

Whoeever goes there will be starting off on the right foot!

Philosophers

Quote from: JT39 on March 19, 2024, 10:47:25 AMNo matter who goes where withthe top 4 QB - they all need support staffs from coaches and players to be successful. The 3rd or 4th QB taken could be more successful than the first QB taken but it doesnt necessarily mean he is better.

Look at Minnesota.
- good OL
- Best WR in the game
- very good TE

Great post.  A QB going to Vikings has a much more established offense around him with top talent.  If I'm a QB prospect, I have to think the  ikings look like a better landing spot.

katkavage

Quote from: JT39 on March 19, 2024, 10:47:25 AMNo matter who goes where withthe top 4 QB - they all need support staffs from coaches and players to be successful. The 3rd or 4th QB taken could be more successful than the first QB taken but it doesnt necessarily mean he is better.

Look at Minnesota.
- good OL
- Best WR in the game
- very good TE

If the staff is not up to a rookie QB, the Giants need a new staff. And you want to wait until all is good around this rookie? Keep waiting...and waiting...and waiting. We can enjoy more mediocrity while we wait. There is no perfect scenario. Your guy is there, take him. End of story. There won't be other chances.

JT39

Quote from: katkavage on March 19, 2024, 11:51:47 AMIf the staff is not up to a rookie QB, the Giants need a new staff. And you want to wait until all is good around this rookie? Keep waiting...and waiting...and waiting. We can enjoy more mediocrity while we wait. There is no perfect scenario. Your guy is there, take him. End of story. There won't be other chances.

Oh I agree we need a QB and have to take them. My point is that there are situations that are really temping for new QBs and others not so much. And lets say Maye is the 4th QB taken - he may have a better career than Daniels or Williams - but it may be becaue his situation was better.

katkavage

Quote from: JT39 on March 19, 2024, 11:57:55 AMOh I agree we need a QB and have to take them. My point is that there are situations that are really temping for new QBs and others not so much. And lets say Maye is the 4th QB taken - he may have a better career than Daniels or Williams - but it may be becaue his situation was better.
Could be, but if you are that good and your coaches are at least decent, you should find away to thrive.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on March 19, 2024, 12:03:03 PMCould be, but if you are that good and your coaches are at least decent, you should find away to thrive.

It's not an individual sport like golf where 1 talent can overpower anyone and everyone.  Need everyone.  That's why it's called a team.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on March 19, 2024, 12:18:28 PMIt's not an individual sport like golf where 1 talent can overpower anyone and everyone.  Need everyone.  That's why it's called a team.
A team where the most important individual to that team is the QB. The team, Houston Texans, made the playoffs from the bottom of the division the year before. They did it in a variety of ways, but most importantly, they did it with their QB.

londonblue

The Texans showed a lot the year before to show they were close to competing. They were better than their record. Stroud, coaching and a bunch of other small things pushed them over the top.

As for us, drafting a QB is always a gamble. Many fail because it is a difficult position to play with the gap from college to NFL widening. You need a lot of stuff right around you but most of all you need a lot of luck.

If we draft one we will cross our fingers and hope we buck the odds.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

Responding to the original question: "could he (JJ McCarthy) be the Giants target in round one)?"

Simple answer: "Yes, he could be...but it could just as easily be smoke". Don't forget what time of the year it is...it's "lyin season". Take no rumor to heart. Rumors are the meat and potatoes of talking heads and beat writers who need viewers and hits. Rumors panning out are a little more likely to happen than finding a Whooping Crane in the wild
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

The betting odds have the Vikings as the favorites to land McCarthy. They're at -115 to be the team to draft McCarthy.

If the Vikings don't draft McCarthy, the Giants are the team with the next-best odds to draft him, at +350. They're followed by the Broncos at +430 and the Patriots at +900.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/vikings-are-the-betting-favorites-to-draft-j-j-mccarthy
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on March 19, 2024, 12:20:35 PMA team where the most important individual to that team is the QB. The team, Houston Texans, made the playoffs from the bottom of the division the year before. They did it in a variety of ways, but most importantly, they did it with their QB.

Most importantly, they did it with an OL that protected their QB, then CJ flourished.  CJ Stroud was only sacked 38 times.  He would not be CJ Stroud if we were sacked 85 times like the Giants OL did.