News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drake Maye thread

Started by EliWasrobbed, February 24, 2024, 05:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EliWasrobbed

I personally see Caleb going first, Daniels after, and if the Pats go MHJ we have an opportunity to trade up for Drake.

This thread is for the true francihse QB of the Giants, Daniels to me is too injury prone and Caleb is going first. All 3 have potential to be francihse QB's, and I'm setting the intention we will draft him.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

katkavage

If they can move up two slots to get their guy, they must. If not, and that guy turns out to be a game changer, they are toast. Much will happen between now and April. After the combine there will be changes.

Ed Vette

He's a big play QB. Always keeping his eyes downfield. He has as close to a Josh Allen/Herbert arm as there is in this Draft Class. He didn't have elite weapons like Daniels or Penix did, but his competition wasn't the best out there. He can hit a Receiver with a small window of Separation, or hit levels with touch, and then miss a wide open Receiver with a WTF throw. He can escape pressure and senses it well and throw on the run with the best of them. His ceiling his high. However, if he was on the 2023 Giants, their inept Oline would have negated his skills, I imagine.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 24, 2024, 07:40:32 AMHe's a big play QB. Always keeping his eyes downfield. He has as close to a Josh Allen/Herbert arm as there is in this Draft Class. He didn't have elite weapons like Daniels or Penix did, but his competition wasn't the best out there. He can hit a Receiver with a small window of Separation, or hit levels with touch, and then miss a wide open Receiver with a WTF throw. He can escape pressure and senses it well and throw on the run with the best of them. His ceiling his high. However, if he was on the 2023 Giants, their inept Oline would have negated his skills, I imagine.

Good wrap-up. What you have written is pretty much my impression as well. He does also seem to possess the intangibles you look for in this position: confidence and a lead from the front type of persona.

JT39

UNC lost a lot of games this year by putting the ball in his hands and depending on him too much...

=))  =))  =))  =))

MightyGiants

Drake Maye: Major Talent with Major Question Marks! | 2024 NFL Scouting Report

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Overview
Challenging evaluation with top-flight measurables and tools but inconsistencies that create a lower floor. Maye's size and arm talent jump off the tape immediately. He can make every throw, but he will try to make throws that he shouldn't have attempted. The gunslinger mentality creates a fearlessness that can turn into interceptions, but it will also allow him to win in tight windows and make splash throws that get crowds (and evaluators) on their feet. He leaves too many throws on the back shoulder or hip and needs to learn when to take some sauce off the throw to make it more catchable. There is an undeniable energy to Maye's game that can create momentum or turn chaotic when plays come off-schedule for him. The combination of traits and tape make him a boom/bust prospect who might need patient management and coaching to help shepherd him toward his potential.
Strengths
Two years of starting experience and still very moldable.
Two-time team captain with prototypical size and frame.
Ball comes off his hand with tight spiral and good velocity.
Can expedite operation time and release when pressure closes in.
Unquestionable arm talent to connect from challenging angles.
Fearless passer with the guts and arm to whip the ball into tight windows.
Quick pocket climber with discipline to continue searching for targets.
Mobility to slide free of pocket traffic and toughness to go get needed yards.
Showed flashes of the clutch gene during his career.
Weaknesses
Struggles with the chess match against pressure looks.
Inefficient throwing motion creates inconsistencies in accuracy.
Receivers had to chase too many intermediate throws into the turf.
Leaves the ball behind crossing routes and RPO targets.
Can get uncomfortable when initial reads aren't clear and clean.
Sixteen career interceptions were mostly earned with poor decisions or throws.
Sources Tell Us

"He's big and mobile and can sling it around but he didn't play consistent football (in 2023). I thought his processing was a problem but it was hard to tell sometimes because of how his line played in front of him." - AFC personnel director

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drake-maye/32004d41-5928-9639-2999-10019fb4c292
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

He had a 5 star Wr in Tez Walker, and several number 2s so he had weapons and the line.

His baffling loses to horrible teams are really perplexing.

The problem with Maye is that there's a better chance he's Sam howell 2.0 than Josh Allen 2.0.

MightyGiants

Film Room: Drake Maye Vs Duke: All Passes

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Woody

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 24, 2024, 07:40:32 AMHe's a big play QB. Always keeping his eyes downfield. He has as close to a Josh Allen/Herbert arm as there is in this Draft Class. He didn't have elite weapons like Daniels or Penix did, but his competition wasn't the best out there. He can hit a Receiver with a small window of Separation, or hit levels with touch, and then miss a wide open Receiver with a WTF throw. He can escape pressure and senses it well and throw on the run with the best of them. His ceiling his high. However, if he was on the 2023 Giants, their inept Oline would have negated his skills, I imagine.
I watch him play a few games.   Good but not great in my opinion....not worth moving up on my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Maye needs more discipline in his mechanics and he can get that with the right QB and OC Coaches. Same as Josh Allen did. I see the concern is his ability to make reads. I didn't notice that but it's difficult to see in film.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 25, 2024, 10:34:13 AMhttps://pff.com/news/draft-2024-nfl-draft-north-carolina-qb-drake-mayes-scouting-report?

QuoteArm strength isn't all about how far one can throw the ball, as the velocity that they throw with is just as important.

These are the sort of comments that tell me some doesn't understand what are strength is.   They use the term strength, but they mean velocity.   The reality is a football is not heavy.    To throw it far one needs to throw it at a high velocity, it's not about be strong enough to lift and throw it.   

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE