News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could it be QB 1 - 2 -3 - 4

Started by MightyGiants, March 04, 2024, 11:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Puffy

That would mean someone is trading up with Arizona for the Number 4 slot.  Atlanta?  Vegas?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Puffy on March 04, 2024, 12:06:43 PMThat would mean someone is trading up with Arizona for the Number 4 slot.  Atlanta?  Vegas?

NYG?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

I thought Williams would fall out of the top four, maybe even the first round, after hearing all the GMs on this board bring him down a few notches. Is that not happening? He will be drafted in the first four despite all the negativity? Or is that Penix replacing him in the top four?

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 04, 2024, 12:12:43 PMI thought Williams would fall out of the top four, maybe even the first round, after hearing all the GMs on this board bring him down a few notches. Is that not happening? He will be drafted in the first four despite all the negativity? Or is that Penix replacing him in the top four?

For full transparency, the "GMs on the board" (you were arguing with) were arguing red flags/worth of Caleb Williams, not where he is drafted.  History has made it more than clear where a QB is drafted doesn't assure success or failure.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 12:23:17 PMFor full transparency, the "GMs on the board" (you were arguing with) were arguing red flags/worth of Caleb Williams, not where he is drafted.  History has made it more than clear where a QB is drafted doesn't assure success or failure.

I agree that where one is drafted has nothing to do with how they will perform as a pro. But why would a GM take such a chance with all those red flags, if they are truly valid? Wouldn't Williams stock fall considerably if those red flags really were red flags to franchises that might have the opportunity to select him? Or you are saying they will ignore them and take him anyway. Seems not a very good idea to invest in a pick that high when, after your due diligence, find him lacking in some areas, mainly off the field. When I see Williams drop down in the draft, then I will note that that the real GM's have heeded the advice of the GMs on this board. Until that happens, those real GMs(Chicago, Washington, NE, NYG) obviously were not worried about those red flags. But again, even if drafted number one, Williams could be an absolute flop. That I agree with.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on March 04, 2024, 12:43:48 PMI agree that where one is drafted has nothing to do with how they will perform as a pro. But why would a GM take such a chance with all those red flags, if they are truly valid? Wouldn't Williams stock fall considerably if those red flags really were red flags to franchises that might have the opportunity to select him? Or you are saying they will ignore them and take him anyway. Seems not a very good idea to invest in a pick that high when, after your due diligence, find him lacking in some areas, mainly off the field. When I see Williams drop down in the draft, then I will note that that the real GM's have heeded the advice of the GMs on this board. Until that happens, those real GMs(Chicago, Washington, NE, NYG) obviously were not worried about those red flags. But again, even if drafted number one, Williams could be an absolute flop. That I agree with.

The NFL has a long history of teams ignoring red flags and drafting prospects who flame out in spectacular fashion.

The biggest reason behind these ill-advised decisions-  "we can coach him up."

Why were Zach Wilson, Baker Mayfield, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Bryce Young, Ryan Leaf, and JaMarcus Russel all drafted high?  Many of them had red flags that teams ignored.

Plus, the reality is that there are very few truly clean prospects.  Many picks have negatives, concerns, or red flags that have the potential for them to have disappointing NFL careers.

Finally the teams in a position to draft a QB high in the draft tend to be the ones that are not being run that well.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Teams draft guys in the top 5 with red flags all the time.  Those GMs are generally aware of said flags but the player's potential ceiling deems them worth the risk.   

MightyGiants

J.J. McCarthy may be QB3.
It is smoke-screen season, and I very well may be getting hooked by it. But in Indianapolis, I heard significantly more interest and excitement for how high Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy might go relative to how high LSU QB Jayden Daniels might go.

My sense is that Daniels is not locked into an early draft slot and that the league has turned its attention elsewhere. McCarthy is a strong candidate to go before Daniels in April.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/3/4/24089897/nfl-combine-takeaways-marvin-harrison-jr-jj-mccarthy
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 01:43:51 PMJ.J. McCarthy may be QB3.
It is smoke-screen season, and I very well may be getting hooked by it. But in Indianapolis, I heard significantly more interest and excitement for how high Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy might go relative to how high LSU QB Jayden Daniels might go.

My sense is that Daniels is not locked into an early draft slot and that the league has turned its attention elsewhere. McCarthy is a strong candidate to go before Daniels in April.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/3/4/24089897/nfl-combine-takeaways-marvin-harrison-jr-jj-mccarthy
Daniels would be a very nice pick. Besides his talent, he is a great kid.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 04, 2024, 01:43:51 PMJ.J. McCarthy may be QB3.

That is until Daniels knocks it out of the park at his Pro day and the league turns its attention back to JD
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"