News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley to the Iggles

Started by spiderblue43, March 11, 2024, 02:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 04:02:40 PMSchoen may be a worse GM than Gettleman. At least Gettleman found and drafted actual talent, Schoen is doing everything wrong
You do realize great teams dont pay running backs right? Paying him 40 million for 900 yards and being injured 4 games a year would have been dumb.

Bob In PA

The move will sell a lot of hot dogs and T-shirts for the Eagles. 

If Kelce ACTUALLY doesn't return this time (he "retired" last year in the off-season) the OL won't be the same.

Unless the OL can make up for loss of Kelce, Saquon could possibly believe he's still on the Giants next year. lol

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 11, 2024, 04:44:40 PMThe move will sell a lot of hot dogs and T-shirts for the Eagles. 

If Kelce ACTUALLY doesn't return this time (he "retired" last year in the off-season) the OL won't be the same.

Unless the OL can make up for loss of Kelce, Saquon could possibly believe he's still on the Giants next year. lol

Bob

Guessing Jurgens moves to center and they still have the best RT in football.  I don't see a total collapse here, but maybe a step down.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Painter on March 11, 2024, 03:54:07 PMAs good as Saquon may have on been on the Giants, he really never made them a winning team. That's the harsh reality when it came to whether it made sense to match the Eagles $38-$47 million/$26 million guaranteed.

It can be a Championship-gaining move for the Eagles as long as Saquon stays healthy. But far from so for the Giants who don't have their QB of the future, anything like an adequate Oline, or a top-notch X-receiver. Like it not, this is still very much a rebuild which might have just as good a chance for a pleasant surprise as the recent decade's more usual shitty ones.

Cheers!

this is the reality. with all his talent, it never made us a winner. guys like him put teams like the eagles over the top. a loaded team full of talent already that just need that missing piece.

Woody

Anywhere but there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 11, 2024, 04:37:24 PMYou do realize great teams dont pay running backs right? Paying him 40 million for 900 yards and being injured 4 games a year would have been dumb.
We should have paid him last season instead of our Qb. Let's talk about dumb
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 11, 2024, 04:47:15 PMGuessing Jurgens moves to center and they still have the best RT in football.  I don't see a total collapse here, but maybe a step down.
uconn: I don't see Lane Johnson lasting to season's end. If I'm right the OL will take at least two steps down.

Not wishing anything bad on the guy, and he IS tough as nails... but now his opponent is Father Time.

Kelce was a truly outstanding player. Although Jurgens is good, there is simply no comparison whatsoever.

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 04:57:39 PMWe should have paid him last season instead of our Qb. Let's talk about dumb

And we would be in the exact same place, a below average team. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 11, 2024, 04:58:50 PMuconn: I don't see Lane Johnson lasting to season's end. If I'm right the OL will take at least two steps down.

Not wishing anything bad on the guy, and he IS tough as nails... but now his opponent is Father Time.

Kelce was a truly outstanding player. Although Jurgens is good, there is simply no comparison whatsoever.

Bob

Agreed, I almost added for Johnson "if he doesn't get suspended again".

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: kingm56 on March 11, 2024, 05:00:23 PMAnd we would be in the exact same place, a below average team. 
We would have made the playoffs had we signed literally any AVERAGE qb last year.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Drake Maye enthusiast.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on March 11, 2024, 03:16:14 PMI'm not getting worked up over this. Let someone else overpay him, I'm glad the Giants didn't. Schoen has much more work to do fixing this team than overpaying for a RB IMO.

This is pretty much how I feel too.

I'm happy for Barkley that he got a great contract from one of the better teams in the league, because I like and respect him. I don't really care all that much that it's the Eagles. I think it will be hard for them to extract the value from him that they've laid out (relative to the present-day market for RBs), but they're in a totally different position than we are, so I can understand them paying up for a playmaker. When you're very close and trying to put yourself over the top, you can do things like this. Makes way more sense for them than it does us.

The one thing I'd say from the Eagles' perspective is their big issue last year seemed to be their D. Their back 7 was brutal. I'm surprised that wasn't the top priority for them in the offseason. I know they signed the guy from the Jets, but they paid $51mm for a guy who basically only plays third downs. I'm not saying Barkley makes no sense for them, but their corners are both old, and their linebackers are suspect. Their defensive problems seemed way too substantial to think they can address them successfully in one draft.

None of that is our problem though. We have enough of our own problems, and paying Barkley $13mm a year or whatever it would have taken was not going to solve them.

My number one gripe is why didn't we trade him for more than what we'll get as a comp pick if the rest of the league values him this much. Surely we could have gotten a 2nd rounder or at least a third plus a fourth.

Jclayton92

Quote from: EliWasrobbed on March 11, 2024, 04:57:39 PMWe should have paid him last season instead of our Qb. Let's talk about dumb
No we shouldn't have, we get out of the Jones deal next year. We should have not paid either, what does a 47 million dollar back help a team rebuilding? Answer it doesn't.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 11, 2024, 05:08:24 PMNo we shouldn't have, we get out of the Jones deal next year. We should have not paid either, what does a 47 million dollar back help a team rebuilding? Answer it doesn't.
HE WASNT GETTING 47 MILLION LAST YEAR

Drake Maye enthusiast.

y_so_blu

I always liked Saquon, both as a player and the face of the team. First-class human being.

Unfortunately this is a business, and rebuilding teams don't pay that kind of money to running backs, no matter how nice they are. It works out well for both parties; the Giants found a cheaper alternative and Saquon found some suckers. Well done my man.  <:-P

LennG

Business is business and loyalty is a thing us 'older' fans remember fondly. I always felt Barkley was a great representative of the Giants. You never saw him trash-talk anyone, always played the game clean and was a great role model for any other team player. Like most, I am terribly sorry to see him go and still wonder why we couldn't field a team around him. I am pissed it had to be the Eagles and improve their chances of winning a SB. That will sting.

I wish him the best only not all that much best.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss