News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants get Drew Lock for backup QB

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 12, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

todge

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 07:13:37 PMLet's assume for a moment the Giants don't draft a QB. I'm not saying they won't, but for the sake of argument let's just suppose for a moment that they don't.

Assuming Jones is cleared by the doctors, which sounds likely to happen on schedule, I think it's all but nailed on that he starts week one.

What I'll say though, is I think Daboll will be much less tolerant of poor play by Jones now that he has seen other backup Giant QBs outperform him with the same supporting cast. So Lock may get a shot even if Jones doesn't get hurt. Jones could easily get benched for performance-related reasons this year.
Actually it was not "the same supporting cast" on the offensive line for Jones as it was for DeVito and Taylor.

Thomas and Barkley were out and their replacements were inept. Two rookies started and were ill prepared to play yet. The level of competition was higher in Dallas, San Francisco, Miami and to a lesser extent Seattle. Jones had less than two seconds to throw the ball , discarding the theory that Jones held the ball too long. The pathetic OL was on pace to set a NFL record for sacks. The cards were stacked against Jones (and any other QB). The OL improved as the year went on which benefited the backup QBs.

A more likely scenario is that Daboll fully remembers Jones' performance in 2022 where he led the Giants to a road Playoff victory - a game where DJ threw for over 300 yards and ran for another 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jclayton92

Quote from: todge on March 15, 2024, 09:23:38 PMActually it was not "the same supporting cast" on the offensive line for Jones as it was for DeVito and Taylor.

Thomas and Barkley were out and their replacements were inept. Two rookies started and were ill prepared to play yet. The level of competition was higher in Dallas, San Francisco, Miami and to a lesser extent Seattle. Jones had less than two seconds to throw the ball , discarding the theory that Jones held the ball too long. The pathetic OL was on pace to set a NFL record for sacks. The cards were stacked against Jones (and any other QB). The OL improved as the year went on which benefited the backup QBs.

A more likely scenario is that Daboll fully remembers Jones' performance in 2022 where he led the Giants to a road Playoff victory - a game where DJ threw for over 300 yards and ran for another 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He only completed a pass beyond 20 yards a handful of times before Thanksgiving in 2022. He also only got over the 200 yard passing mark 6 times that season for a grand total of 3200 yards passing, the same as Davis Mills in 2022. Where is Davis Mills now? Jones led what was a bottom third passing offense.

But yes, I remember Jones last playoff performance Jones was 15-of-27 for 135 yards and one interception, with a QB rating of 53. It's amazing how everyone forgets the Eagles game and just remembers the Vikings game. Jones looked exactly how he did in 2023, in that playoff game to the Eagles.

Let's just keep ignoring that past decade of data for hopes and dreams.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 15, 2024, 07:13:37 PMLet's assume for a moment the Giants don't draft a QB. I'm not saying they won't, but for the sake of argument let's just suppose for a moment that they don't.

Assuming Jones is cleared by the doctors, which sounds likely to happen on schedule, I think it's all but nailed on that he starts week one.

What I'll say though, is I think Daboll will be much less tolerant of poor play by Jones now that he has seen other backup Giant QBs outperform him with the same supporting cast. So Lock may get a shot even if Jones doesn't get hurt. Jones could easily get benched for performance-related reasons this year.

because schoen is naturally selfish person.. i don't see this happening.
let's say Jones plays and in week 3 (1-2 or 0-3 start), Jones gets injured.

We are now SCREWED cap wise because of the injury clause HE put into his contract.

And will make it vERY easy to justify firing Schoen.

If Jones just does not play at all, Daboll is first one thrown under the bus, not Joey Schoeny
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

EliWasrobbed

Quote from: T200 on March 15, 2024, 07:58:26 PMIs there a place I can put money down on this happening? I would put a substantial amount and cash in.  :ok:

if somehow he does play, i give him a game and a half MAX.
I don't preview my posts. I AM THE POST.

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. "

Saquon defender. Jones hater. Giant forever.

"live strong and prosper or devolve"

Drake Maye enthusiast.

Woody

Quote from: JT39 on March 12, 2024, 03:39:51 PMMcCarthy or Maye. We cannot go with Jones anymore.
Bo Nix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk