News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Greg Cosell has a bunch of scouting reports up over at 33rd team

Started by MightyGiants, April 02, 2024, 09:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Brock Bowers at 6 would be a throw-the-remote pick for me.  With the kind of QB and WR talent that is guaranteed to be sitting there, picking a TE in that spot would be unthinkable for this team.

GloryDays

i ENJOYED WHAT HE WROTE ABOUT LADD McConkey... this kid I believe will turn out to be the steal of the draft, and we could even trade back and take him around the 20 area!! Cosell says he has NO WEAKNESSES!

https://www.the33rdteam.com/ladd-mcconkey-nfl-draft-2024-combine-results-scouting-report-for-georgia-wr/

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 02, 2024, 02:53:35 PMOne other issue: TEs are not paid that well.  So drafting one 6th overall would mean the Giants would see little to no cap relief while he was on his rookie contract.

I am not sure what that means . Thanks

Hadron

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 03, 2024, 01:24:29 AMI am not sure what that means . Thanks

Positional values play a big part of the analysis.

Ex: Bryce Young's total contract value is about $41.2 million. Daniel Jones is making about $40 million/year. That's why you hear them talk about the importance of a team winning while the QB is on his rookie contract.

Travis Kelce makes about $14 million/year. A first round TE will make between $3m (end of round 1) and $9m (top of round 1) annually.

The first pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, currently owned by the Chicago Bears, has a set payday of just over $38.5 million over his first four seasons in the NFL. The final pick of the first round, currently held by the Kansas City Chiefs at No. 32 overall, is set to make $12.1M over the same time frame.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 03, 2024, 01:24:29 AMI am not sure what that means . Thanks

@Hadron did a pretty good job explaining things, but since I did the research, I will share my take.

The Giants draft pick will make roughly $6.5 million this season by virtue of being the 6th pick in the draft.

Now if they draft a QB that salary will be a huge savings against the $40 to $50+ million a QB makes

You would also see good savings compared to the $20s to $30 million a year a WR makes

Now, if they draft a TE, $6.5 million would make him the 20th highest-paid TE, and the savings against a typical top 10 TE who makes somewhere between $10 million and $20 million wouldn't be all that much.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

The rookie pay scale means that if you draft someone in a high value position with a high draft choices you get a 5 year bargain as you will be paying them a lot less than veterans at that position.  For example CJ Stroud has a CAP hit of less than 10 million, which is way low for a QB. 

But when, for example, the Giants drafted a RB at #2 they didn't benefit from the rookie pay scale.  One, because it is the same regardless of position, and two because RB is a low value position.  Barkley was one of the highest paid RBs right from the start.  Something similar would apply to drafting a TE since that is not a high value position.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

ralphpal1

K pitts was suppose to be.amazing( i know he has a different skill.se
OJ howard. Unstoppable
That TE that detroit drated   unstoppable
How did it all.work out