News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Football Card Collection

Started by Dumpster Dan, September 26, 2023, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster Dan

Every so often I ask this question because I know that we have new members on BBH

Any of you have kids or grandkids who are into Giant football card collecting?   Or even you??
If you do give me a PM

Dumpster Dan

Giant Obsession

I have every NYG football card printed for 1961 thru 1990. After that the explosion of card companies and different subsets the companies released made me raise the yellow flag.

I have no idea who to leave them to when I am gone unless one of my nephews kids becomes a Giants fan.  They are pre six now but being raised in Packer and Jaguar households.

Pride of my collection is Y.A. Tittle autograph, Joe Morrison autographed 8 x 10 and 2 8 x 10 Fran Tarkenton autographed pictures when he was Sports Marshall of the 1968 Winchester Apple Blossom Festival.  Fran was one impressive speaker.  He was 28 at the time and spoke for almost 30 minutes.  Very little jock stories, talked at length about family and father/son relationships.   So wish I had brought my recorder with me.  Was never surprised at the success he has become since football.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

I also have boxes of cards, all in sleeves and just sitting there. I had asked this a while ago, but if one were wanting to sell, where does one go? I see ads all the time in papers, "Highest prices paid' but that is just a come-on.

I was sort of 'purging' my basement of stuff that has been collecting for years, and I came across a tube. I saw what was inside, a poster of the Giant's 75th year anniversary, signed by Wellington Mara. How can one put a value on something like this? If I were to leave this earth, my kids wouldn't have a clue as to the value of these things.

If I ever move, these things probably won't make the trip, so where does one go with it?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on September 27, 2023, 07:12:05 PMI also have boxes of cards, all in sleeves and just sitting there. I had asked this a while ago, but if one were wanting to sell, where does one go? I see ads all the time in papers, "Highest prices paid' but that is just a come-on.

I was sort of 'purging' my basement of stuff that has been collecting for years, and I came across a tube. I saw what was inside, a poster of the Giant's 75th year anniversary, signed by Wellington Mara. How can one put a value on something like this? If I were to leave this earth, my kids wouldn't have a clue as to the value of these things.

If I ever move, these things probably won't make the trip, so where does one go with it?

Ebay?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

coggs

I was VERY into card collecting as a kid, but exclusively baseball cards.  Bday is in February and when I was 13, 14 it was just in time for the new releases and I would get a few wax boxes as my present.  Got completely turned off around 91-92ish.  Walked into Dave's Cards in Bellmore during February break from school.  They were selling the new Brien Taylor rookie card for $25.  I asked the guy if that was serious and he pointed at the Beckett guide and said to look it up.  Think it was listed as $30.  THE MAN HAD NEVER THROWN A PITCH IN PRO BALL!  I just shook my head and said, "I'm done with this shhhiiistuff." 

Since I have bought some random stuff here and there.  Had a box on 79 Topps and have worked on completing the set off and on.  A LOT more off than on.  Did pick up a box of 500 Giants cards from late 80s early 90s.  But nothing crazy.  I still pay attention to it a little. The jersey cards and other inserts have continued to turn me off and as Giant Obsession said, the explosion of companies printing stuff turned me off.  Now these 1/1 things or the cards that come in different border colors just doesnt interest me.  The grading of cards, I understand why, just seems like an unnecessary expense for most people.