News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The best I can discern of the Giants draft intentions

Started by MightyGiants, April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have listened to all the rumors and all the insiders.  This is the best I can discern when it comes to the Giants desires for round one.

1)  The Giants would like to draft a quarterback but on their terms.  In other words, for the right price, the Giants would move up to take a QB, or they would take one if he falls to six.

2)  Maye seems to be the quarterback the Giants have the most interest in.  JJ is another QB the Giants may have interest in, but it doesn't sound like he would be a trade-up target

3)  Failing to secure a QB, the Giants will sit at 6 and take the best WR on their board.  I have no idea how the Giants have stacked the 3 WRs prospects

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

That's kind of how I see it too and I guess I'm fine with that.

katkavage

Everything will start to turn on who the Commander's pick: Daniels or Maye. And then will NE stay put or trade.

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on April 23, 2024, 09:19:37 AMEverything will start to turn on who the Commander's pick: Daniels or Maye. And then will NE stay put or trade.

From everything I hear, Daniels is the favorite, but you never know
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AMI have listened to all the rumors and all the insiders.  This is the best I can discern when it comes to the Giants desires for round one.

1)  The Giants would like to draft a quarterback but on their terms.  In other words, for the right price, the Giants would move up to take a QB, or they would take one if he falls to six.

2)  Maye seems to be the quarterback the Giants have the most interest in.  JJ is another QB the Giants may have interest in, but it doesn't sound like he would be a trade-up target

3)  Failing to secure a QB, the Giants will sit at 6 and take the best WR on their board.  I have no idea how the Giants have stacked the 3 WRs prospects

"....on THEIR terms...." is the key, and I 100% agree.  If think if they felt one of these guys was another Peyton, Brady, Mahomes.  A perennial MVP candidate who will at worst have his team in the play-offs almost every year, they would give up as much as they need to to get him.  Think they view all these guys as, "They will be better than Jones, but not worth selling the farm."

Philosophers

I think their terms may be to trade no farther up than 4 but hopefully not have to then hope their QB falls to them and if not go WR.

Is this the worst kept secret at the moment? 

I think this is all what we think will happen.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 09:26:08 AMFrom everything I hear, Daniels is the favorite, but you never know

Daniels was the HEAVY betting favorite to go #2 until very recently when reports started coming out that he wants no part of Washington.  And now it's almost a pick em with Maye so who knows. 

If he's able to force Washington to not take him and drop to 3 that might be in range for the Giants to make a move for him.  Which I think they would at least try to do.  New England might just take him themselves and never look back of course but that least forces the Giants to make a phone call.  I don't think they would make that call for Maye or JJ.  And all of this, of course, is based on my own hunches and no actual factual reporting.

EDjohnst1981

Not too sure we need anotehr thread to intimate that we have no idea. Unless we want to confirm any bias of being correct.

QB or WR - it's been this for months.

londonblue

I do not see NE trading back. They are in disarray with a spoilt fanbase increasingly listless. Kraft knows he needs a QB to generate some hype and create a reason for fans to spend.

The perceived hot QB market may be leading other teams to ask for potentially unrealistic packages to trade back (lots of rumours that it would take "historic" deals to shift AZ or LAC). Will they shift position on draft day? Is Minnesota or Denver desperate enough to massively overpay? Maybe.

Thankfully we will know soon!
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on April 23, 2024, 11:04:07 AMI do not see NE trading back. They are in disarray with a spoilt fanbase increasingly listless. Kraft knows he needs a QB to generate some hype and create a reason for fans to spend.

The perceived hot QB market may be leading other teams to ask for potentially unrealistic packages to trade back (lots of rumours that it would take "historic" deals to shift AZ or LAC). Will they shift position on draft day? Is Minnesota or Denver desperate enough to massively overpay? Maybe.

Thankfully we will know soon!

I looked at New England's offensive lineup via PFF, and I posted the Athletic article on the team's infrastructure for a new QB.  I think the Pats are better prepared to draft and develop a QB than people think.  As the saying goes, you hope not to be drafting this high again, so if a quality QB prospect is there for you to draft...

I have to thing taking any two of the top 4, there will be a QB New England can see as their franchise QB moving forward.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 09:01:56 AMI have listened to all the rumors and all the insiders.  This is the best I can discern when it comes to the Giants desires for round one.

At the end of the regular season I wanted them to draft a quarterback. At that point in time not many were predicting as many as four quarterbacks to go in the first five picks and we would likely have the chance to draft Daniels or McCarthy at six. Now I hope they don't. Don't get me wrong we desperately need an upgrade but with the current supporting cast I don't think it's wise to package a bunch of picks to move up and get the guy we want. We still have too many holes on offense and would likely be setting that guy up for failure.

At this point I'd be more interested in dropping from six to the 9-13 range. That would give us the chance to draft a guy like Thomas out of LSU and give us another first round pick to move up in next years draft to get Jones replacement. I know some will say that next years qb class will be weak, and to some degree it will, but there will be at least two or three qb prospects with a high first round grade. Very few people had Jayden Daniel's blowing up and going as high as second or third overall at this point last year. Every year someone blows up. There are several college quarterbacks this year that had really nice seasons who could develop into that can't miss guy. Sanders, Ewers and Cam Ward come to mind. We're stuck with Jones for this year. Finish rebuilding the line and the skill position players and then go big for a qb next year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on April 23, 2024, 11:20:05 AMAt the end of the regular season I wanted them to draft a quarterback. At that point in time not many were predicting as many as four quarterbacks to go in the first five picks and we would likely have the chance to draft Daniels or McCarthy at six. Now I hope they don't. Don't get me wrong we desperately need an upgrade but with the current supporting cast I don't think it's wise to package a bunch of picks to move up and get the guy we want. We still have too many holes on offense and would likely be setting that guy up for failure.

At this point I'd be more interested in dropping from six to the 9-13 range. That would give us the chance to draft a guy like Thomas out of LSU and give us another first round pick to move up in next years draft to get Jones replacement. I know some will say that next years qb class will be weak, and to some degree it will, but there will be at least two or three qb prospects with a high first round grade. Very few people had Jayden Daniel's blowing up and going as high as second or third overall at this point last year. Every year someone blows up. There are several college quarterbacks this year that had really nice seasons who could develop into that can't miss guy. Sanders, Ewers and Cam Ward come to mind. We're stuck with Jones for this year. Finish rebuilding the line and the skill position players and then go big for a qb next year.

One thing I remember from Schoen's presser is his comment about the team not being a player or two away.  I think that may indicate that Schoen shares your view.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 23, 2024, 11:22:20 AMOne thing I remember from Schoen's presser is his comment about the team not being a player or two away.  I think that may indicate that Schoen shares your view.

How much time does Schoen thinks he has left in his Giants tenure?  If less he may swing for the fences this year and gamble on a QB.

TONKA56

Quote from: Philosophers on April 23, 2024, 11:29:19 AMHow much time does Schoen thinks he has left in his Giants tenure?  If less he may swing for the fences this year and gamble on a QB.

I don't think Schoen's seat is as hot as many speculate. I don't really think Daboll's is either.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 23, 2024, 11:29:19 AMHow much time does Schoen thinks he has left in his Giants tenure?  If less he may swing for the fences this year and gamble on a QB.

This reminds me of the Brandon Beane quote about moving up to draft Josh Allen:

"I mean, we got criticized a little bit for how much we gave up for Josh. And I'm like, 'Well, if he doesn't work out, I'm not going to be here anyway. And if he does work out, nobody's gonna give a s–t,'" said Beane

https://x.com/danfetes/status/1762569393723019735
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE