News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants send a message to Daniel Jones, via their beat reporter

Started by MightyGiants, April 29, 2024, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 29, 2024, 10:20:26 AMParcells was famous for sending messages via the press.  I am pretty sure most don't consider him a "shitty leader"

You can't be telling me that Phil Simms or any other QBs Parcells coached ever had any doubt exactly where they stood from Parcells' own mouth.  I am 100% positive he did not need to send any messages through the press to his quarterbacks.  It's one of the reasons why he WAS such a great leader. 

Also not saying Daboll isn't - I find it hard to believe that DJ needs to have a message sent through the media.  If he does, he's a lot weaker than I've given him credit for.

Uncle Mickey

If Daniel is what we think or hope he is he will come in no different than last year. On a mission. I don't think it was for lack of effort it was just a historically bad OL that messed with his head. It derailed the entire season.

I know it's 5 years in and the fan base has justifiably lost patience. However, it doesn't change the fact that we all have mostly agreed that he has never had a good system to operate in. I think the issue is people look at that it's been 5 years and the talent has yet to convert to high level production. Now some just say he isn't a talented QB so even with better talent it won't make a difference. Well hopefully this is the year we finally find this out. Because if the OL is even average or the WR group is even average for that matter that will be about 5 levels above anything DJ has had to work with his entire career.  :surprise:  :scared:  :crazy:

MightyGiants

Quote from: PSUBeirut on April 29, 2024, 10:33:25 AMYou can't be telling me that Phil Simms or any other QBs Parcells coached ever had any doubt exactly where they stood from Parcells' own mouth.  I am 100% positive he did not need to send any messages through the press to his quarterbacks.  It's one of the reasons why he WAS such a great leader. 

Also not saying Daboll isn't - I find it hard to believe that DJ needs to have a message sent through the media.  If he does, he's a lot weaker than I've given him credit for.

Do you remember Parcells famously, referring to oft-injured (at the time) WR Terry Glenn as "she" to the press?

Not that it soured their relationship as years later:

QuoteSo when Parcells became coach of the Dallas Cowboys in January, Glenn told his agent to get him there, too. The player fans might have thought was the last Parcells would ever acquire wound up being the first to follow him to Texas, and both are thrilled with the reunion.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/2003/07/31/glenn-parcells-go-far-beyond-she-remark/28758882007/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Painter

Overweening nonsense. Everyone has an opinion- with media it's always self-servicing- nor are fans short of advice and counsel, none of which matters diddlysquat to anyone on the roster or staff.

Cheers!

kingm56

Why do said tweets need to be an explicit message from the team?  IMO, they represent nothing more than common sense based on facts. 

It's well known the Giants attempted to trade up for Drake; it's also well known DJs contract has an escape clause after this season. It should also be known DJ hasn't been very good and/or healthy. Thus, do we/Dj need a message from the team that states the obvious?

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on April 29, 2024, 10:49:01 AMWhy do said tweets need to be an explicit message from the team?  IMO, they represent nothing more than common sense based on facts. 

It's well known the Giants attempted to trade up for Drake; it's also well known DJs contract has an escape clause after this season. It should also be known DJ hasn't been very good and/or healthy. Thus, do we/Dj need a message from the team that states the obvious?
Actions > words
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on April 29, 2024, 10:49:01 AMWhy do said tweets need to be an explicit message from the team?  IMO, they represent nothing more than common sense based on facts. 

Matt,

The two beat-writers I cited both post what the team wishes to be posted.  While there were plenty of insiders reporting the Giants tried to trade up to the third pick to draft Maye, it was still pretty much rumor.  With these two reports, I think it's fair to move it from rumor (with a strong possibility of being true) to now given fact. 

To your question, I wouldn't say "need" but I would say, "it can't hurt"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Schoen is on the line with the QB as well. They are tied together (even though he never drafted him). If it goes bad for Jones, it reflects poorly on Schoen. While if it goes very good for him, Schoen shines.

Trench

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 29, 2024, 10:29:25 AMI know I've been pretty harsh on Jones and Eric Gray recently, but for the record I'm going to be 100% supportive of both once the season starts.

Same here!

TONKA56

To be honest, right now I have less confidence in Jones' ability to stay healthy than I do in his ability to move the football. 

T200

Quote from: katkavage on April 29, 2024, 11:02:17 AMSchoen is on the line with the QB as well. They are tied together (even though he never drafted him). If it goes bad for Jones, it reflects poorly on Schoen. While if it goes very good for him, Schoen shines.
I partially agree, mostly because he did ultimately give him the contract. However, I think Mara was behind it. I think Schoen would have been OK letting Jones test the market and come back with a "match it" opportunity. Because Mara wanted to keep Jones, the compromise was the 2-year out.

I don't think there is one fan who believes Schoen is all-in on Jones. I don't think the stink will be on Schoen if Jones doesn't live up to the expectations, whatever they may be. If nothing else, the cries for a new QB will be even louder.

LennG

I was going to start another thread on a thought I had, but let's run it hear.

Many people have said and it is true, that Eli started out very poorly also. Thinking, about what really helped Eli become a much better QB, Plax and his ability to catch all the misguided passes that Eli threw to him. I'm sure there were many decent passes, but mostly I remember Plax using all his 6' whatever frame and arms to haul in many passes that were overthrown, underthrown, etc. Could Nabers be the Plax for Jones?
Most know and I won't deny it, I would like anyone other than Jones to be our QB, but he is our QB and I would never root for him to fail. If Nabers can do for Jones what Plax did for Eli, maybe there is hope out there.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: LennG on April 29, 2024, 12:16:05 PMI was going to start another thread on a thought I had, but let's run it hear.

Many people have said and it is true, that Eli started out very poorly also. Thinking, about what really helped Eli become a much better QB, Plax and his ability to catch all the misguided passes that Eli threw to him. I'm sure there were many, but mostly I remember Plax using all his 6'whatever frame and arms to haul in many passes that were overthrown, underthrown, etc. Could Nabers be the Palx for Jones?
Most know and I won't deny it, I would like anyone other than Jones to be our QB, but he is our QB and I would never root for him to fail. If Nabers can do for Jones what Palx did for Eli, maybe there is hope out there.

Reasoned thoughts, Len. Remember that the book on Josh Allen was still undetermined until the Bills added Diggs.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: LennG on April 29, 2024, 12:16:05 PMI was going to start another thread on a thought I had, but let's run it hear.

Many people have said and it is true, that Eli started out very poorly also. Thinking, about what really helped Eli become a much better QB, Plax and his ability to catch all the misguided passes that Eli threw to him. I'm sure there were many, but mostly I remember Plax using all his 6'whatever frame and arms to haul in many passes that were overthrown, underthrown, etc. Could Nabers be the Palx for Jones?
Most know and I won't deny it, I would like anyone other than Jones to be our QB, but he is our QB and I would never root for him to fail. If Nabers can do for Jones what Palx did for Eli, maybe there is hope out there.

Lenn,
This is an excellent observation and one I sincerely hope reigns true

T200

Very good perspective, Len. I know you wouldn't root for him to fail.

But call me and tell me your REAL thoughts!  =))

I also want to see Jones healthy first, and then playing lights out. Quite honestly, I'm hopeful that he plays well but not very optimistic. Like you, I will be rooting for him to prove me wrong.