News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Good article on Giants pass rush

Started by ELCHALJE, December 20, 2022, 09:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stringer Bell

A few of my takeaways:

— Locking up Lawrence long term is priority #1. If Ojulari and KT continue to develop, pairing them with a stud like Dex will create some monster problems for opposing OLs. It's already starting to, but I think we're just scratching the surface
— I'm really glad they mentioned the depth guys. One thing the new regime has shown is a front office ability to identify castoffs who can provide value and a coaching ability to put these guys in situations where they can be successful. This team MUST adopt better practices that promote healthier players, and better depth / limiting starter reps is one thing they can do
— Would LOVE to see this defense fully healthy for a long stretch next season. KT, Dex, Ojulari, Xavier, Love are all studs. Leo and Adoree are solid. That's 7 out of 11. You add a couple more good finds via FA or draft, and this defense could be a menace!

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Stringer Bell on December 20, 2022, 09:24:45 AMA few of my takeaways:

— Locking up Lawrence long term is priority #1. If Ojulari and KT continue to develop, pairing them with a stud like Dex will create some monster problems for opposing OLs. It's already starting to, but I think we're just scratching the surface
— I'm really glad they mentioned the depth guys. One thing the new regime has shown is a front office ability to identify castoffs who can provide value and a coaching ability to put these guys in situations where they can be successful. This team MUST adopt better practices that promote healthier players, and better depth / limiting starter reps is one thing they can do
— Would LOVE to see this defense fully healthy for a long stretch next season. KT, Dex, Ojulari, Xavier, Love are all studs. Leo and Adoree are solid. That's 7 out of 11. You add a couple more good finds via FA or draft, and this defense could be a menace!

The D side of the ball is light years ahead of the O!

JS should lock up D players this off season and continue to build the O through the draft and FA.

There is definitely a path and hope ahead

Rosehill Jimmy

I still think we need significant upgrades to the depth along the D line.  The drop off when both Dex and Leo were given a blow was noticeable. There was one series where they had Ward lined up in the interior and I can't remember seeing that before

The Eagles are a classic example of the benefits of a deep defensive front. They have had a 7-8 man rotation the last few years and it keeps everyone fresh and effective throughout the game
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Philosophers

Quote from: Stringer Bell on December 20, 2022, 09:24:45 AMA few of my takeaways:

I think now in this sport you will never have teams fully healthy.

kartanoman

Quote from: Philosophers on December 20, 2022, 11:23:22 AMI think now in this sport you will never have teams fully healthy.

You are most correct in that Schoen is analyzing a perpetual trade-off study to continuously improve talent against budget while mitigating both performance and budget risk. I would imagine his analytical model factors in multiple variables to build and sustain roster that is feasible in talent, budget, contingency planning and management reserve to fund those contingencies. I don't ever see a pure optimization coming to light as variables impacting coaches and players generate uncertainty into the model (e.g. new contracts for existing players/FA and draft signings, injuries, coaches moving on to take promotions elsewhere, etc.). In looking at past success at the Giants, George Young used seasons 1984 and 1985 to improve the team through his model so it all came together in 1986 where the model was as close to optimized as possible. You could make a similar argument for 1988 and 1989 coming together in 1990 (NOTE: with a Herculean coaching effort, and players who bought in and responded, to get them back to the top). You might even consider the same with the seasons leading up to the last two Super Bowl victories. It can be seen in other teams as well.

In today's NFL, the model must yield a feasible solution and you need a little good fortune to boot. Unlike in the old days, you see Super Bowl participants who are missing several players and the "War of Attrition" is clearly a reality teams must deal with.

Lots of fast moving parts to effectively manage to become a Super Bowl contender and, with a little luck thrown in, a champion.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Jclayton92

We need a starting DE, depth at nose, and DE, plus two starting MLB's one if Beavers comes to form, and an additional edge even if we retain ward.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE