News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants 41-Minn 0 could happen again

Started by ELCHALJE, January 09, 2023, 04:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartanoman

The masterpiece of the Jim Fassel era, Giants' fans, Vikings' fans, and NFL fans everywhere were completely stunned that the high-flying Vikings, with Moss and Carter in their prime, were completely grounded and the latest QB fad, Dante Culpepper, was harassed all day long en route to getting completely shut out. Had the Giants not called off the dogs at three quarter time, 41-0 might have looked more like 55-0 or 62-0.

The likes of it ever happening again, as amazing as that would be, would be about as unlikely as the 1986 Giants pitching 49-3 against the 49ers and 17-0 against the Redskins. Great games for those respective eras, and among the greatest of all Giants' games ever played.

What I hope WILL happen is the rested starters play like gangbusters, eliminate the turnovers and don't give Joseph another crack at 61 yards away with one second left on the clock.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

TDToomer

The 41-0 game happened at Giants Stadium, not the Metrodome which made a difference. The 2000 Giants went 12-4 and had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Lets just say that team was a wee bit better than 2022.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Ed Vette

Let's get Ron Dixon back for the day. I'm sure Slayton would mind loaning him the Jersey.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Collins was not a superstar QB by any means, but he could definitely sling it. He had one hell of a gun.

He did a nice job for us in his time here. He also managed to overcome some of his personal issues that were plaguing him as a younger man, which is more easily said than done for many people.

I always liked him myself. And he was sensational in this game.

BlueMoshik

Quote from: TDToomer on January 09, 2023, 08:12:03 PMThe 41-0 game happened at Giants Stadium, not the Metrodome which made a difference. The 2000 Giants went 12-4 and had homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Lets just say that team was a wee bit better than 2022.

I'm not saying the Giants today are a great team, but for the record, I never thought the 2000 team was particularly great, either. Collins had a great strong but he was very limited as a QB. The defense was decent. I thought that game against the Vikings was kind of a fluke, and the offense got badly exposed in the Super Bowl by that Ravens defense.   

BluesCruz

Quote from: BlueMoshik on January 10, 2023, 03:36:43 AMI'm not saying the Giants today are a great team, but for the record, I never thought the 2000 team was particularly great, either. Collins had a great strong but he was very limited as a QB. The defense was decent. I thought that game against the Vikings was kind of a fluke, and the offense got badly exposed in the Super Bowl by that Ravens defense.   

Yes BUT if that early INT TD were not called back for some invisible foul that game might have gone the other way

It really took the air out of our sails....think it Was Armstead.  dont remember what the flag was for
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kartanoman

Quote from: BluesCruz on January 10, 2023, 07:19:34 AMYes BUT if that early INT TD were not called back for some invisible foul that game might have gone the other way

It really took the air out of our sails....think it Was Armstead.  dont remember what the flag was for

It was actually Keith Hamilton and, I agree, that would have kept momentum on the Giants' side a little longer. Buy I have no illusion about the Giants having a shot in this game. That Ravens' defense was brutal and Ray Lewis, like him or hate him, was a machine out there that day.

To say the Giants overachieved in 2000 might be a fair statement. Fassel led the team to three playoff appearances but he struggled to sustain success off any of those playoff appearances.

None of that will ever diminish the satisfaction of the Giants shutting out the media darling Vikings that year, and Wellington Mara referring to the grounds as "painted mud" and striving to become the worst team ever in the Super Bowl. God bless him, and his wife Ann, who also talked smack to Terry Bradshaw 11 seasons later after that memorable championship contest. Oh, the memories of New York Football Giant Pride!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: kartanoman on January 10, 2023, 07:38:38 AMIt was actually Keith Hamilton and, I agree, that would have kept momentum on the Giants' side a little longer. Buy I have no illusion about the Giants having a shot in this game. That Ravens' defense was brutal and Ray Lewis, like him or hate him, was a machine out there that day.

To say the Giants overachieved in 2000 might be a fair statement. Fassel led the team to three playoff appearances but he struggled to sustain success off any of those playoff appearances.

None of that will ever diminish the satisfaction of the Giants shutting out the media darling Vikings that year, and Wellington Mara referring to the grounds as "painted mud" and striving to become the worst team ever in the Super Bowl. God bless him, and his wife Ann, who also talked smack to Terry Bradshaw 11 seasons later after that memorable championship contest. Oh, the memories of New York Football Giant Pride!

Peace!

I always thought the game plan they went into for that SB sealed out fate.

We went away from what we did to get to and throughout the playoffs.

Always got the feeling that Fossil tried to get cute and catch the Ravens off guard rather then keep doing what made them successful.

Could be wrong BUT was how I've felt.

TDToomer

Quote from: kartanoman on January 10, 2023, 07:38:38 AMIt was actually Keith Hamilton and, I agree, that would have kept momentum on the Giants' side a little longer. Buy I have no illusion about the Giants having a shot in this game. That Ravens' defense was brutal and Ray Lewis, like him or hate him, was a machine out there that day.

Peace!

The 2000 team was very good. It had the 5th ranked D in the NFL in yards and points with a good offense.
I don't know why the Vikings were considered favorite since we were the home team, had the bye and home field advantage.
Bradshaw deserved to be scolded by Ann Mara in 2007. Remember when we stunned the Cowboys in the playoffs? The FOX crew had nothing to say after the game. So quiet you could hear them shuffling papers to the extend you wondered if they had teleprompters set to discuss a Cowboys victory and had to go off script. They had to go to commercial and regroup.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs