News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - AFC Champions For the Next 10 Years

Started by uconnjack8, February 13, 2023, 10:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Just some post Super Bowl thoughts...

I wonder how many times over the next 10 years we will see an AFC team in the Super Bowl who does NOT have a QB named Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence or Herbert (actually think the Chargers are the type of team that may never get there with Herbert).

Obviously a lot can change over 10 years, but it seem as long as those guys are in the conference and their FOs don't go into the tank, it will be one of them in the Super Bowl every year.  Only two of them have gotten there so far. 

It also makes me wonder how many times the NFC will win the Super Bowl over that span.  Right now the best teams in the NFC do not seem to have that star power at QB.  Hurts was great this year, just not sure he keeps it up if Roseman cannot restock the talent around him consistently (and replacing 1st ballot HOFers is not easy). 

Will probably also see a lot of coaching turnover because of those QBs. 

EDjohnst1981

The worrying thing for those in the AFC was that Mahomes lost his best receiver due to cap issues and he simply got better.

AYM

I guess like the class of '84 went to almost every Superbowl except 2 for the AFC from '85-'98.

kartanoman

Quote from: AYM on February 13, 2023, 01:44:54 PMI guess like the class of '84 went to almost every Superbowl except 2 for the AFC from '85-'98.

At least we know one "Class of '84" QB who played, and happened to win, was QB Jeff Hostetler from ... yeah, you remember that one!

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

bamagiantfan

Mahomes is talented but he is also blessed. Andy Reid is the most underrated coach in my lifetime, and is maybe the most underappreciated coach ever.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

kingm56

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 14, 2023, 08:01:49 PMMahomes is talented but he is also blessed. Andy Reid is the most underrated coach in my lifetime, and is maybe the most underappreciated coach ever.

Completely disagree; Patrick Mahones would be Patrick Mahomes with or without Andy Reid, just like like Tom Brady was Tom Brady without Lil Bill. Andy Reid would be the same guy he was in Phili without Mahomes.  Mahomes has transcendent talent; in fact, said, transcended talent brought Andy Reid his first Super Bowl in 16 years of coaching.  So it seems odd that we would credit Coach Reid from Mahomes' HoF play where we should be crediting Mahomes for winning SBs for Ried . Just like Brady and Manning, Mahomes would continue to win SBs with or without Reid; however, we know the reverse is not true.  Mahomes is just that good...

Rambo89

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 14, 2023, 08:01:49 PMMahomes is talented but he is also blessed. Andy Reid is the most underrated coach in my lifetime, and is maybe the most underappreciated coach ever.

Reid is a great coach but never won until he got that great QB.  Mahomes would have succeeded just about anywhere he went though maybe not at the level he has.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Rambo89 on February 15, 2023, 09:18:49 AMReid is a great coach but never won until he got that great QB.  Mahomes would have succeeded just about anywhere he went though maybe not at the level he has.

Won? Won what? So the 10 NFC Championship game appearances, and two Superbowls his teams appeared in but didn't win, were all a fluke?

You guys are actually proving my point. Mahomes deserves the credit he gets. Reid doesn't get enough. Did Donovan McNabb carry him in Philly?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

kingm56

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 15, 2023, 09:32:35 AMWon? Won what? So the 10 NFC Championship game appearances, and two Superbowls his teams appeared in but didn't win, were all a fluke?

You guys are actually proving my point. Mahomes deserves the credit he gets. Reid doesn't get enough. Did Donovan McNabb carry him in Philly?

I suggest you go back and look at Phili talent; they were loaded but couldn't get over the hump with a good, but not HoF QB. Next, take a look at Reid's performance without McNabb. The notion that Mahomes owes his success to Reid is pretty far-fetched.  How lil bill doing without Brady?

bamagiantfan

Quote from: kingm56 on February 15, 2023, 10:27:51 AMThe notion that Mahomes owes his success to Reid is pretty far-fetched. 

Which is why I never said that.

Rambo89

Quote from: bamagiantfan on February 15, 2023, 09:32:35 AMWon? Won what? So the 10 NFC Championship game appearances, and two Superbowls his teams appeared in but didn't win, were all a fluke?

Where did I say Reid's accomplishments prior to 2018 were a fluke?  I did say Reid was a great coach.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18