News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Top 25 Defensive Players in NFC East According to PFF

Started by uconnjack8, February 17, 2023, 01:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Four Giants on the list.  I don't see PFF as the end all be all of player evaluation, but it is interesting to see Leonard Williams rated so high. 

A certain amount of fans are ready to wave goodbye to him.

https://twitter.com/peenlicker73/status/1626323768250343425?t=_feWvIQwE-q2t4sV4WKuqQ&s=19

B1GBLUE

i think the only reason most people are down on williams is how expensive he is. and thats a fair point. also, the outstanding play of dexter lawrence is outshining williams right now. but, i do think they work better as a pair. dont get it twisted, williams is still a well above average player in this league.

uconnjack8

I think for most people you are right, it's the cap number, but I have seen a few fans in this forum who feel he is an average player

B1GBLUE

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 18, 2023, 08:10:24 AMI think for most people you are right, it's the cap number, but I have seen a few fans in this forum who feel he is an average player

lol yeah cause he doesnt put up chris jones or aaron donald level stats. newsflash, 99% of players at their position dont. he doesnt pass the "eye test". hes not flashy. but if you really break down the game tape, he is an excellent player.

shadowspinner0

Remember Williams was the only player who was on the NFL Top 100 players before this season. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 18, 2023, 08:18:55 AMlol yeah cause he doesnt put up chris jones or aaron donald level stats. newsflash, 99% of players at their position dont. he doesnt pass the "eye test". hes not flashy. but if you really break down the game tape, he is an excellent player.

I couldn't agree more and would only add that he can play pretty much any position on the DL.

kingm56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 18, 2023, 08:18:55 AMlol yeah cause he doesnt put up chris jones or aaron donald level stats. newsflash, 99% of players at their position dont. he doesnt pass the "eye test". hes not flashy. but if you really break down the game tape, he is an excellent player.

As a DT, he doesn't sack the QB, consistently draw many double-teams, or stop the run. Concerning the latter, the Giants were among the NFLs worst run-stopping teams. I'd classify him as a quality starter, who's a long way from excellent. 

todge

Quote from: kingm56 on February 18, 2023, 09:33:44 AMAs a DT, he doesn't sack the QB, consistently draw many double-teams, or stop the run. Concerning the latter, the Giants were among the NFLs worst run-stopping teams. I'd classify him as a quality starter, who's a long way from excellent.
Williams was injured all of last season and played through injuries that would have landed most on the DL. As to the Giants among the worst run stopping teams - look no further than the linebackers, the OLBs and the other DT as the culprits.

Leonard Williams is indispensable to this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingm56

Quote from: todge on February 18, 2023, 12:25:53 PMWilliams was injured all of last season and played through injuries that would have landed most on the DL. As to the Giants among the worst run stopping teams - look no further than the linebackers, the OLBs and the other DT as the culprits.

Leonard Williams is indispensable to this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not basing my comments on 1 year; instead, I'm using 9 years of objective and subjective data. In nine years, he has no AP nominations and a single PB nod; he also averages just 4 sacks a year and the last NGS I saw showed him being doubled-team just 20% of the time, which means he's not chewing up blockers for LB to make plays. He's just not an exceptional player...

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on February 18, 2023, 09:33:44 AMAs a DT, he doesn't sack the QB, consistently draw many double-teams, or stop the run. Concerning the latter, the Giants were among the NFLs worst run-stopping teams. I'd classify him as a quality starter, who's a long way from excellent.

id say thats more on our linebackers.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on February 18, 2023, 01:17:17 PMI'm not basing my comments on 1 year; instead, I'm using 9 years of objective and subjective data. In nine years, he has no AP nominations and a single PB nod; he also averages just 4 sacks a year and the last NGS I saw showed him being doubled-team just 20% of the time, which means he's not chewing up blockers for LB to make plays. He's just not an exceptional player...

Hes not elite. but i'd say hes in the top 15 of ALL dt's in the league.

kingm56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on February 18, 2023, 01:23:32 PMHes not elite. but i'd say hes in the top 15 of ALL dt's in the league.

I'd agree with that point; however, I just don't see him as an exceptional player.  He's a good player not worth close to $25M+/yr. 

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on February 18, 2023, 01:30:04 PMI'd agree with that point; however, I just don't see him as an exceptional player.  He's a good player not worth close to $25M+/yr. 

oh definitely not worth that kind of scratch. i think at best hes a 10-15m type of player.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on February 18, 2023, 01:30:04 PMI'd agree with that point; however, I just don't see him as an exceptional player.  He's a good player not worth close to $25M+/yr. 

Exactly, King.

I have never seen anyone here not acknowledge that Williams is a good football player and an asset to this team. The issue has been his cost relative to his production. When your AAV is more than $20m, "good" or even "very good" isn't going to cut the mustard.

CVA14

Four teams, 25 player list, average 6.25 players per team. Giants have four listed players---enh! Could be better,