News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Bezos Interested in Buying Commanders

Started by uconnjack8, February 24, 2023, 04:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Jeff Bezos hired a firm to research purchasing the Commaders. 

That would be an owner with pretty big pockets.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35721747/jeff-bezos-hires-firm-help-consider-bid-commanders

DaveBrown74

Seems just a matter of time before Bezos owns a team. I assume it will be the Commanders, but either way it's a matter of time.

squibber

If Bezos buys the Commanders, they better be good. Their nickname could be the Bezos Bozos. Haha

DaveBrown74

It's bad news for the Giants regardless. While I have no idea how good of an owner Bezos will actually be, he has limitless resources, and really at the end of the day nobody would be worse than Snyder.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 25, 2023, 07:44:09 AMIt's bad news for the Giants regardless. While I have no idea how good of an owner Bezos will actually be, he has limitless resources, and really at the end of the day nobody would be worse than Snyder.

I agree we don't know how good of an owner he would or will be.  My guess ( and that's all that it is) is he will be a good owner if that happens.  Certainly as you said it will be an improvement over Snyder

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 25, 2023, 08:11:49 AMI agree we don't know how good of an owner he would or will be.  My guess ( and that's all that it is) is he will be a good owner if that happens.  Certainly as you said it will be an improvement over Snyder

Same here.

For one, we know he can throw money at the problem. That matters. While he can't pay his players a higher total than anyone else, he can invest all kinds of resources in front office, evaluation, development, analytics, technology, sports science, training/medical, and just general infrastructure. Those things matter.

Secondly, and this is pure speculation on my part and I could be way off on this, he doesn't seem like the meddling type. At least not on the football side. So as long as he is capable of making a couple hiring judgment calls (mainly GM), he would have a pretty decent chance of success IMO.

MightyGiants

Bezos has been the rumored buyer of the Commanders for months now.  Interestingly enough, there was initially no interest from Bezos, when the the team first  solicited owners.   I guess that might have been a negotiation tactic by Bezos.  I mean, now, when he negotiates a deal, it's from the position of knowing there were no other serious suitors.

As for Bezos's wealth, we have other owners whose wealth allows effectively for near-limited resources already.  The owner of the Panthers is a prime example.  To me, while the resources are nice, the owner still needs to hire the right people (no easy task) and avoid hamstringing their team (no easy task for men used to great success in other fields).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

He would represent a major paradigm shift in the nation's capital. Where Snyder has appeared to be in it all for himself, Bezos is more of a nurturing leader, a visionary someone who challenges his execs to lead by the principles he lives by which has made him successful. He knows, and keeps close to him, those who have helped get him where he is today. In other words, he is driven to very specific goals and knows who and what to put in place in order to achieve them.

If that is considered bad for the NFC East, and the NFL as a whole, then so be it. I'd like to welcome it as a wake-up call to complacency for the fat and happy old guard to get in the game and push themselves to get better or get out. That includes the Maras and the Tisches.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AYM

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 25, 2023, 07:51:13 PMReports intensify that Jeff Bezos has been blocked from buying Commanders

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/25/reports-intensify-that-jeff-bezos-has-been-blocked-from-buying-commanders/

If it's true according to that article that Irsay is one of the owners who wants to force Snyder to sell, good grief what a hypocrite.

uconnjack8

If the allegations against Snyder about hiding revenue that was supposed to be part of the shared pool are true, I think the owners will vote him out if he doesn't go willingly.

You can do all sorts of things as an owner that get bad PR and get zero response.  But mess with their money and trust over it and its going to get a response.