News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Top RAS by Position from the Combine

Started by uconnjack8, March 10, 2023, 07:25:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Last year after the draft there was a thread on this forum with the RAS of every player the Giants selected.   It may be coincidental but all but 1 player had a very high RAS, so I thought it was worth posting this.

I found this article from a Packers site so it's got some Packers info.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/lists/top-ras-performers-by-position-from-packers-2023-nfl-scouting-combine/

Ed Vette

Some pretty high WR scores for what's called a "weak class".
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Well of Bryce Ford Wheaton and Andrei Iosivas were more under the radar before, they are not now based on their results.  Jonathan Mingo who has been one of my fav WRs scored very high as well.  Notice how at the top, big, strong WRs, not the smurf slot guys are the leaders.

One guy the Giants may target is Cedric Tillman.  He, not Hiatt, was supposed to be the feature WR at Tennessee but he got hurt early so Hiatt got more throws abd attention by the QB.  Tillman has strong hands and is big.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 10, 2023, 07:54:58 AMSome pretty high WR scores for what's called a "weak class".

I've stated before that I think this WR class is a whole lot deeper than suggested early on throughout the internet. Probably due to college teams relying more heavily on the passing game following the trend set by the NFL  :-??

Biggest surprise to me is Jack Campbell's score (9.98) beating out Simpson. I was expecting Pappoe to win the "Underwear Olympics", not Jack
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on March 10, 2023, 10:40:02 AMWell of Bryce Ford Wheaton and Andrei Iosivas were more under the radar before, they are not now based on their results.  Jonathan Mingo who has been one of my fav WRs scored very high as well.  Notice how at the top, big, strong WRs, not the smurf slot guys are the leaders.

One guy the Giants may target is Cedric Tillman.  He, not Hiatt, was supposed to be the feature WR at Tennessee but he got hurt early so Hiatt got more throws abd attention by the QB.  Tillman has strong hands and is big.

The Princeton guy is intriguing.  Wondering where he ends up being selected.  Do the traits move him into day 2?  I thought I saw him prior to the combine as a day 3 prospect. 

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 10, 2023, 11:08:01 AMThe Princeton guy is intriguing.  Wondering where he ends up being selected.  Do the traits move him into day 2?  I thought I saw him prior to the combine as a day 3 prospect.

Andrei Iosias is tall and very speedy. I figured he'd be the fastest of all WRs, but he wasn't. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 5th round to UDFA. The thing is, savvy teams spend more time watching tape than worrying about actual speed numbers. Seldom does a WR run in a straight line in a foot race. The pushing, shoving, cutting, knowing the route tree, hands, contested catches, yards after catch, and all that going on. Iosias put up pretty good numbers (930+ yds or something like that) last season in the IVY League, which is not the SEC. I personally like him and would be happy if we drafted him. But I know that Schoen and his minions behind closed doors are doing a lot more research on WRs than I could even fathom. It all comes down to what his team sees and thinks about him

kingm56

Thanks for providing the link, Matt.  Like everyone else, I found the WRs 'grades' interesting. 

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 10, 2023, 10:40:02 AMWell of Bryce Ford Wheaton and Andrei Iosivas were more under the radar before, they are not now based on their results.  Jonathan Mingo who has been one of my fav WRs scored very high as well.  Notice how at the top, big, strong WRs, not the smurf slot guys are the leaders.

Most of the top Ras scores for Wrs are day 2 and 3 selections but I'm really hopeful that we key in on Mingo as well.

I can't tell if in the article they made a typo because the top Ras score at RB was Zach Evans but they put the Tulsa kids name there and then Mississippi.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 10, 2023, 11:32:06 AMAndrei Iosias is tall and very speedy. I figured he'd be the fastest of all WRs, but he wasn't. I've seen him ranked anywhere from 5th round to UDFA. The thing is, savvy teams spend more time watching tape than worrying about actual speed numbers. Seldom does a WR run in a straight line in a foot race. The pushing, shoving, cutting, knowing the route tree, hands, contested catches, yards after catch, and all that going on. Iosias put up pretty good numbers (930+ yds or something like that) last season in the IVY League, which is not the SEC. I personally like him and would be happy if we drafted him. But I know that Schoen and his minions behind closed doors are doing a lot more research on WRs than I could even fathom. It all comes down to what his team sees and thinks about him

Jolly - two things about Iosivas are 1) he is a total body catcher and 2) he may be very fast but he does not run routes at top speed.  Maybe he thinks he'll fall.

I want us to secure a good lower risk WR early like Mingo then if we gamble later with Iosivas I am ok.  I just dont want us to gamble on Iosivas as our sole WR addition given my two points above.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on March 10, 2023, 01:05:47 PMJolly - two things about Iosivas are 1) he is a total body catcher and 2) he may be very fast but he does not run routes at top speed.  Maybe he thinks he'll fall.

I want us to secure a good lower risk WR early like Mingo then if we gamble later with Iosivas I am ok.  I just dont want us to gamble on Iosivas as our sole WR addition given my two points above.
I know a lot of people are down on Quentin Johnston but if that kid learns how to catch with his hands and not just his body he'd be the total package.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Philosophers on March 10, 2023, 01:05:47 PMJolly - two things about Iosivas are 1) he is a total body catcher and 2) he may be very fast but he does not run routes at top speed.  Maybe he thinks he'll fall.

I can appreciate that. His luster has lost some of its shine lately...for me anyway. If the Giants take him though, I'd be happy because I suspect they know a lot more than I'll ever know

My secret crush on a late round WR is Puka Nacua out of BYU, a 6'2", 206 lb pure footballer that plays full throttle every minute he's on the field, whether he's targeted, a decoy, or making a path for someone else. He flies under the radar (at least among internet researchers). I don't think he competed at the combine, but did show up for interviews, and the Chiefs and Ravens spent time with him. Most sites that even bother to mention his name do not flatter him, but at least one researcher says he is absolutely a hidden gem. He plays with intensity rarely seen among WRs. Like blocking - he loves to block and will take on any defensive player. He likes hitting and the physical part of football. He loves going up against man coverage. He stated that CBs love to say they "are on an island". His response, "so am I and they are on MY island and I get rid of them" LOL In short: "he's a baller" and "loves all aspects of the game and football is his life"

My notes indicate that he will either go in a late round or go undrafted. He checks the boxes that Schoen and Daboll demand of a Giants' player: SMART, TOUGH, and DEPENDABLE

A summary of him:

• Insane competitive toughness
• Very good linear athleticism
• Top-shelf body control and ball skills
• A+ football character
• High I.Q.
• Ideal Role: X receiver
• Scheme Fit: Vertical passing offense with volume of MOF targets
• TDN Consensus Grade: 78.00/100 (Third-Round Value)

Philosophers

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 10, 2023, 01:28:49 PMI can appreciate that. His luster has lost some of its shine lately...for me anyway. If the Giants take him though, I'd be happy because I suspect they know a lot more than I'll ever know

My secret crush on a late round WR is Puka Nacua out of BYU, a 6'2", 206 lb pure footballer that plays full throttle every minute he's on the field, whether he's targeted, a decoy, or making a path for someone else. He flies under the radar (at least among internet researchers). I don't think he competed at the combine, but did show up for interviews, and the Chiefs and Ravens spent time with him. Most sites that even bother to mention his name do not flatter him, but at least one researcher says he is absolutely a hidden gem. He plays with intensity rarely seen among WRs. Like blocking - he loves to block and will take on any defensive player. He likes hitting and the physical part of football. He loves going up against man coverage. He stated that CBs love to say they "are on an island". His response, "so am I and they are on MY island and I get rid of them" LOL In short: "he's a baller" and "loves all aspects of the game and football is his life"

My notes indicate that he will either go in a late round or go undrafted. He checks the boxes that Schoen and Daboll demand of a Giants' player: SMART, TOUGH, and DEPENDABLE

A summary of him:

• Insane competitive toughness
• Very good linear athleticism
• Top-shelf body control and ball skills
• A+ football character
• High I.Q.
• Ideal Role: X receiver
• Scheme Fit: Vertical passing offense with volume of MOF targets
• TDN Consensus Grade: 78.00/100 (Third-Round Value)

I dont know him.  Thanks.  Will keep an eye on him.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 10, 2023, 11:07:44 AMI've stated before that I think this WR class is a whole lot deeper than suggested early on throughout the internet. Probably due to college teams relying more heavily on the passing game following the trend set by the NFL  :-??

Biggest surprise to me is Jack Campbell's score (9.98) beating out Simpson. I was expecting Pappoe to win the "Underwear Olympics", not Jack

this could certainly benefit us, as we may be able to get some underratted talent in the mid rounds.

Philosophers

Quote from: B1GBLUE on March 10, 2023, 04:45:06 PMthis could certainly benefit us, as we may be able to get some underratted talent in the mid rounds.

The one thing at the combine that I noticed was that Campbell was not all that muscular.  He was big in size but muscular like other LBs.  I am jot worried as I like him but it's just an observation.

I still like Pappoe a lot.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2023, 01:12:34 PMI know a lot of people are down on Quentin Johnston but if that kid learns how to catch with his hands and not just his body he'd be the total package.

I think Mingo and Tillman play bigger and stronger than Johnston.  Honestly against Michigan he had one crossing route that was a big play but otherwise was not dominant at all.