News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT--shingles vaccine

Started by ELCHALJE, April 17, 2023, 05:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ELCHALJE

Have had this on to do list for years.  Diane Feinstein news finally motivated me to make appointment.

Nasty item to catch and anyone who had chicken pox has it stored in the body, ready to go.  Hope this helps some fellow board members decide to get the vaccine.

DaveBrown74

I'm due for a physical and was going to ask my doc about it. It's recommended for people 50 and over. I'm 48, but I'm sure there is no firm rule or law or anything.

I know multiple people who have had shingles recently, and both have said it's brutal. One of them has also had a kidney stone, and he said if he had to do one of them over again he'd go with the kidney stone. That threw me for a loop.

Ed Vette

I had both doses. One last year that I had to pay for and the second one was covered this year because of a recent act passed. Two shots 2-6 months apart. From what I read it "reduces" the chances of getting Shingles.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Painter

Quote from: ELCHALJE on April 17, 2023, 05:37:34 PMHave had this on to do list for years.  Diane Feinstein news finally motivated me to make appointment.

Nasty item to catch and anyone who had chicken pox has it stored in the body, ready to go.  Hope this helps some fellow board members decide to get the vaccine.

I would think it wise. It is, however, the one I have skipped so far. I have sometimes wondered whether my wife, who has never met a vaccine she doesn't like, would enjoy an "I told you so" if I was to become so unlucky.

But then speaking of luck, the only person I have known to have been so afflicted was my Biochemistry Professor at Columbia, of whom I was not fond, who then had to be replaced early in the Semester by the Head of the Department and Nobel Laureate, Dr. Teru Hyashi, a most delightful and favorite person. Ever since, I have thought of Shingles as my lucky charm. Foolish of me, I know.

Cheers!

Greenzone

Would recommend some extreme amount of research before putting it in your body. Check the brand and what's in it, preferrably from an independent audit of it from a lab not paid for by the vaccine. When two out of three Covid "vaccines" are anything but, you need to take extra care. Not all drugs of any kind are created equal. Side effects disclosed help prove it.

madbadger

I had the vaccination two years ago. It requires two shots. After the first one I was fine but the second one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I had a fever of 103 for three days, a migraine that nothing could mitigate and every joint felt as if it was on fire. I lost a full week of my life to that vaccine. I hope in the long run it was worth it but frankly I can't imagine shingles being much worse that that.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm 70 yrs old and only knew two people in my lifetime that had shingles, even thought TV ads say 35% will get it, etc. So I didn't get the vax. Then last year, I was the third person I know who got shingles. It wasn't bad - in my case anyway - but very irritating. My rash spread across the back of my neck and over my shoulders, but no further. It was itchy and there was some burning sensation. I went to the doctor's office immediately, and she took one look and said, "congratulations, you have shingles"

I get vaxed for everything. I have a book full of vaccination stamps for COVID, as well as keep records of all other vaccinations. I get the flu shot every fall without fail. I've not had the flu or even a cold in many years. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so maybe that has something to do with it. I wash my hands about ten times a day and keep hand sanitizer in the car for when I come back to my car after shopping. When shopping, I'm the guy sanitizing my cart and hands before entering the store

I had my annual physical this morning and complained about the shingles' vaccination being so expensive and not covered by insurance. It fell on deaf ears, although she agreed it made no sense

My suggestion: if you can afford it or your insurance covers it, get the damn Shingles' shot(s). If you don't and you get shingles, it's irritating, but not all that bad. It's gone in a couple of weeks. Of course, I was fortunate where it broke out. I've heard of people getting it in their eyes, their mouths, their genitals, etc. That would truly suck  :crazy:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

I got both Shingle vaccinations, (Shingrix), last year when I was 64. I had no reaction to speak of to either one. With my insurance at the time both shots were no cost to me. I've had four friends that had Shingles, and each of them said it was a very unpleasant experience.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 17, 2023, 06:45:32 PMI'm 70 yrs old and only knew two people in my lifetime that had shingles, even thought TV ads say 35% will get it, etc. So I didn't get the vax. Then last year, I was the third person I know who got shingles. It wasn't bad - in my case anyway - but very irritating. My rash spread across the back of my neck and over my shoulders, but no further. It was itchy and there was some burning sensation. I went to the doctor's office immediately, and she took one look and said, "congratulations, you have shingles"

I get vaxed for everything. I have a book full of vaccination stamps for COVID, as well as keep records of all other vaccinations. I get the flu shot every fall without fail. I've not had the flu or even a cold in many years. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so maybe that has something to do with it. I wash my hands about ten times a day and keep hand sanitizer in the car for when I come back to my car after shopping. When shopping, I'm the guy sanitizing my cart and hands before entering the store

I had my annual physical this morning and complained about the shingles' vaccination being so expensive and not covered by insurance. It fell on deaf ears, although she agreed it made no sense

My suggestion: if you can afford it or your insurance covers it, get the damn Shingles' shot(s). If you don't and you get shingles, it's irritating, but not all that bad. It's gone in a couple of weeks. Of course, I was fortunate where it broke out. I've heard of people getting it in their eyes, their mouths, their genitals, etc. That would truly suck  :crazy:

The person I know who had it and said it was worse than when he had a kidney stone had it on the face and it got into his eyes.

Our 15 year old daughter had it about 10 months ago. It happened about 2 months after our whole household had covid. The pediatrician told us they had seen multiple cases in her age group with kids who had had covid. In any event, fortunately she didn't have it on the face. It was on her arm and shoulder and chest but that was it. She was in pretty significant discomfort for three or four days (happened at the tail end of a Caribbean trip we were on), and then the medication she was given cleared it up reasonably quickly after that.

For me, I have plenty of trust in our family physician. We have been with him for two decades, and he has proven his trustworthiness and reliability of expertise on numerous occasions. I have already read several articles about it and have a basic understanding of the shot and its efficacy, but I want to hear it from my doctor. If he's supportive my 52 year old wife (who is also his patient) and I will be moving forward with it.

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 17, 2023, 06:07:18 PMI'm due for a physical and was going to ask my doc about it. It's recommended for people 50 and over. I'm 48, but I'm sure there is no firm rule or law or anything.

I know multiple people who have had shingles recently, and both have said it's brutal. One of them has also had a kidney stone, and he said if he had to do one of them over again he'd go with the kidney stone. That threw me for a loop.

We are pretty close in age.  When I went for my physical they ended up sending me for a Colonoscopy.  I thought the age for that was 50 but I may be in a higher risk group. 

Not as bad some make it out to be.  The prep isn't pleasant but it's not awful either and it's much better to find out early.

President Rick

I got mine.  No side effects.  As serious case can be fatal [gets to the brain]. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

T200

I've never had chickenpox or any other childhood disease. I just had my annual checkup last month and I declined the Shingles vaccine.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

TONKA56

Wife and I are getting it this year. I'm due for my first colonoscopy as well. Good times!

Painter

As Shingles is exclusively a result of a reactivation of a since dormant Chickenpox (Varicella) virus, if you are sure that you were not originally so infected, then not to worry. On the other, there is a vaccine which can keep you from getting Chickenpox in the first place.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 18, 2023, 09:11:28 AMWife and I are getting it this year. I'm due for my first colonoscopy as well. Good times!

There are alternatives to colonoscopy if you are not in a high-risk group.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/colon-cancer/in-depth/colon-cancer-screening/art-20046825
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE