News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

One Wildcard Game will only be Available Via Streaming

Started by uconnjack8, May 15, 2023, 07:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Lame, but it's the direction everything is going in whether we like it or not.

MightyGiants

The first step in the greedy ass owners going the pay per view route
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

On the plus side, Peacock is only $4.99/mo.  And if you don't want to pay that, you can sign up for a free trial right before the game and then cancel after the game without paying a penny.  Personally I already have it because a lot of Premier League futbol games are on it.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on May 16, 2023, 03:09:12 AMOn the plus side, Peacock is only $4.99/mo.  And if you don't want to pay that, you can sign up for a free trial right before the game and then cancel after the game without paying a penny.  Personally I already have it because a lot of Premier League futbol games are on it.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll probably do that.

I have a feeling if the Giants are playing that weekend the NFL will stick them in that slot, knowing it is more likely that they get heavy buy-in from the New York market. I reject the idea of paying out of pocket to watch a major sport playoff game. The amount of money is not important. I don't want to pay $0.25 extra. I pay more than enough for my entertainment as it is. If anything I'm looking to reduce costs, not increase them.

I'm an ND football fan and typically watch about 75% of their games, and they have been doing one game a year exclusively on Peacock. I have resisted getting it for the same reasons as the above, and I will continue to. To hell with these greedy fks.

zephirus

To be clear - the local markets for the teams participating in the game will be televised.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: zephirus on May 16, 2023, 07:50:14 AMTo be clear - the local markets for the teams participating in the game will be televised.

Ah - tks for clearing that up. Good to know.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 16, 2023, 07:26:13 AMThanks for pointing that out. I'll probably do that.

I have a feeling if the Giants are playing that weekend the NFL will stick them in that slot, knowing it is more likely that they get heavy buy-in from the New York market. I reject the idea of paying out of pocket to watch a major sport playoff game. The amount of money is not important. I don't want to pay $0.25 extra. I pay more than enough for my entertainment as it is. If anything I'm looking to reduce costs, not increase them.

I'm an ND football fan and typically watch about 75% of their games, and they have been doing one game a year exclusively on Peacock. I have resisted getting it for the same reasons as the above, and I will continue to. To hell with these greedy fks.

They would in all likelihood put the worst matchup there. Needing the NY market to boost the regular tv ratings.

This is the way media is going but honestly... It's better. Depending on where you get your internet from. If you can cut ties with cable companies and avoid those ridiculous fees you should. Since cutting the chord a couple years ago I've saved about $80 a month and the bill hasn't changed.

nb587

I bought Peacock for a promo at about $20 a year mainly to watch the soccer games.  Not much else on.  And, more than likely, I won't renew it.  It's not even worth $2 a month.  The NFL is looking to such every possible source of revenue and this will eventually hurt the game.

Ed Vette

It's a test and fans should protest it, otherwise it portends the future in gaining access to the playoffs. Personally I think it's foolish on their part because the post season draws in new fans and moves casual fans into more interested. It would have to go in a more ubiquitous streaming service like Amazon or Netflix. The eventual streaming of regular season games will kill small markets and eventually the league imo.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: zephirus on May 16, 2023, 07:50:14 AMTo be clear - the local markets for the teams participating in the game will be televised.

That was the question I had when I first saw the announcement.  Given that has been the protocol for games on cable TV in the past always being on local broadcasted channels available to all in those markets.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

uconnjack8

It's a shame Aerio lost their law suit and is no longer broadcasting.  They had set up antennas and were receiving signals from local markets all over the country and streaming them.  So if you were in the NY market you could watch NBC Denver for instance. 

Quote from: nb587 on May 16, 2023, 08:23:16 AMI bought Peacock for a promo at about $20 a year mainly to watch the soccer games.  Not much else on.  And, more than likely, I won't renew it.  It's not even worth $2 a month.  The NFL is looking to such every possible source of revenue and this will eventually hurt the game.

I got it on the same deal because my kids love the Despicable Me movies.  I have it marked on my calendar to cancel before it auto-renews.  Its just NBC on demand basically.

I will add that what bothers me about this is that I already get the NFL ticket and if the Giants play in that WC game that is only available in market I will have to get the Peacock app (which I will) to see it. 

coggs

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 16, 2023, 08:20:49 AMThey would in all likelihood put the worst matchup there. Needing the NY market to boost the regular tv ratings.

This is the way media is going but honestly... It's better. Depending on where you get your internet from. If you can cut ties with cable companies and avoid those ridiculous fees you should. Since cutting the chord a couple years ago I've saved about $80 a month and the bill hasn't changed.
Yes, but costs of being a cord-cutter are going up.  My wife and I stay on top of it.  Really all depends on what you watch that you consider a "must have" and then what you watch that you watch because it is available but could do without.  Especially as these services start carrying content exclusively.  Whether it is Netflix original or a show that is only available on Hulu.  Eventually you wind up spending more.