News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF Top 32 Guards

Started by uconnjack8, May 26, 2023, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Ed Vette

McKethan and Ezeudu need to step up and compete. Otherwise next draft they need to have Guard as a priority. Mediocrity is not acceptable.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 26, 2023, 11:16:22 AMMcKethan and Ezeudu need to step up and compete. Otherwise next draft they need to have Guard as a priority. Mediocrity is not acceptable.

Hopefully having a capable center can help out the guards a bit as well.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 26, 2023, 11:16:22 AMMcKethan and Ezeudu need to step up and compete. Otherwise next draft they need to have Guard as a priority. Mediocrity is not acceptable.

I am not ready to give up on Ezeudu just yet.  I want to see how he does in camp when he is hopefully fully healthy.  It seems like LG is BB's to lose, but I am not counting Ezeudu out just yet.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Ed,

Ideally I'd like to see Glowinski hold his place and someone step up on the left side to the top 15...or at least make this list

Trench

Question for Oline gurus:

Does a very good Center improve the Guard play or do very good Guards improve the Center's play?

Philosophers

Everybody mentions Ezeudu but then ignore McKethan.  Why?

Both were drafted from same school pretty darn close in terms of rounds to each other.  McKethan got hurt.  I am counting on him as well. Clearly, the scouts and coaches saw something positive out of UNC for them to want to double dip there.

Trench

Quote from: Trench on May 26, 2023, 11:53:45 AMQuestion for Oline gurus:

Does a very good Center improve the Guard play or do very good Guards improve the Center's play?

This is a question I'm curious about because I have zero Oline understanding. If anyone can help me understand Guard vs Center and which is most important/how they complement each other I would be most appreciative

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on May 26, 2023, 08:33:53 PMThis is a question I'm curious about because I have zero Oline understanding. If anyone can help me understand Guard vs Center and which is most important/how they complement each other I would be most appreciative

There are ways a good center can help.  First off, centers are often work double teams with the guards.   Centers can also help a guard if he sees there is a need.   Of course the center calls the protections and if that is done correctly the whole line benefits
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 26, 2023, 09:00:18 PMThere are ways a good center can help.  First off, centers are often work double teams with the guards.   Centers can also help a guard if he sees there is a need.   Of course the center calls the protections and if that is done correctly the whole line benefits

Thank u Rich....judging by your post is it safe to say a great Center is way more important than a great Guard?

But then I think of John Hannah and what he brought to the table. I do wonder if our new Center will elevate our oline

Philosophers

A great OL player can do it on his own so someone else can help out for say a weaker player.  A great center who can take on an All Pro NT does wonders in terms of freeing up guards.  Say thing with say a great Guard being able to block an All Pro 3 tech DT one on one.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Trench on May 26, 2023, 09:49:57 PMThank u Rich....judging by your post is it safe to say a great Center is way more important than a great Guard?

But then I think of John Hannah and what he brought to the table. I do wonder if our new Center will elevate our oline

I have (and I have heard some NFL people make an argument for it) thought center was behind tackles in terms of importance to the O-line.   That said, the top guards make more than the top centers.   So either there is a shortage of guards compared to centers or the NFL as a whole views guards as more important.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on May 26, 2023, 11:57:55 AMEverybody mentions Ezeudu but then ignore McKethan.  Why?

Both were drafted from same school pretty darn close in terms of rounds to each other.  McKethan got hurt.  I am counting on him as well. Clearly, the scouts and coaches saw something positive out of UNC for them to want to double dip there.

I agree with you, but it makes sense for Ezeudu to get a little more attention given he was a day two pick whereas McKeethan was a day three pick. So it's only natural for expectations to be higher.

Also, I would say it is fair for people to be a little bit leery on McKethan in 2023 coming off an ACL. The first year back from that injury is tough. Maybe less so for a guard than say a RB, but it's still a consideration.

My realistic hope is that one of these two pan out to being a solid NFL player. Clearly, I'd love for both of them to (and to remain Giants in that case), but I'm not sure the odds favor that.