News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Offer to Barkley "Back on the Table"

Started by uconnjack8, June 13, 2023, 10:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Maybe there is a start.

I have to wonder if the team offered what was rumored and he turned it down,
Was there was it low on guarantees with escalators to get to 14/year?

That's really the only way they could do it.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/6/13/23760190/giants-rumors-contract-offer-to-saquon-barkley-back-on-the-table

Trench

No brainer if true. If Barkley declines send him packing because the Giants are doing the right thing here

Painter

We would do well to be mindful that Barkley has made clear that none of what he says has been speculated by the media about his demands has been accurate. No doubt that also would include the more recent notion that he is/was thinking of not playing at all this season as damaging as it would be both economically and to his reputation.

With that in mind while also recognizing his value to the Offense, it's hardly surprising that facing the deadline in exactly 30 days, the parties would be willing to again review the situation in an effort to reach an agreement. That can hardly be thought of as unexpected.

Cheers!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Fletch

So they're offering the same thing he rejected?

This is starting to get ugly fast. Instinctively, I could sense there is something kind of wrong with what the Giants were doing , but now I am starting to think the Knicks-ification of the Giants is becoming a reality. The Mara's really need to find something else to do.

How can you look at Jimmy G a comparable if not better QB with his 25.X mil a year and look at Jones 40 mil a year and, then make the case that we need to play hardball with salary of the best player on this team? It just makes no sense unless of course.....

Bob In PA

Even a long journey begins with a single step.  A deal will take about a month to do.

And so the process begins today (or yesterday, I suppose).  Barring a trade, there are two things to highlight:

First, the offer will be weighed by Barkley and his agent against the result of playing 2023 under the tag.

Second, we don't know ALL details of the offer... like what's covered beyond this year... and how, specifically.

For the umpteenth time... IMO this WILL get done, though probably not until the eleventh hour.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on June 13, 2023, 11:45:53 PMWe would do well to be mindful that Barkley has made clear that none of what he says has been speculated by the media about his demands has been accurate. No doubt that also would include the more recent notion that he is/was thinking of not playing at all this season as damaging as it would be both economically and to his reputation.

With that in mind while also recognizing his value to the Offense, it's hardly surprising that facing the deadline in exactly 30 days, the parties would be willing to again review the situation in an effort to reach an agreement. That can hardly be thought of as unexpected.

Larry: I agree 100 percent. There is a time for everything, and 30 days out is the time to begin negotiations.

It appears to be undisputed that Barkley wants to be on the Giants... and the Giants want Barkley on the Giants.

That sounds like a formula for success. In any other media market, there would be no "tempest" in this tea pot.

Bob 
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

If indeed the Giants are willing to restore their previous offer, reported to have been $13M per with some additional incentives and face-saving cosmetics, he should take it and be glad.

In saying that, I am not judging his value or worth. I am simply taking account of current market conditions so far this offseason which have resulted in Zeke Elliott and Dalvin Cook having been cut and Aaron Jones forced to take a pay cut. Austin Ekeler was told to find a trade partner for which he thus far has been unable.

Cook and Elliott, along with Leonard Fournette and Kareem Hunt, remain free agents while Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs, two of the League's best RBs, must now come to terms with what presents itself as the current reality.

Nothing is gained by scapegoating and blaming even though it may be our habit to do so.

Cheers!

Fletch

Quote from: Painter on June 14, 2023, 10:45:43 AMIf indeed the Giants are willing to restore their previous offer, reported to have been $13M with some additional incentives and face-saving cosmetics, he should take it and be glad. In saying that, I am not judging his value or worth

I am simply taking account of current market conditions so far this offseason which have resulted in Zeke Elliott and Dalvin Cook having been cut and Aaron Jones forced to take a pay cut. Austin Ekeler was told to find a trade partner for which he thus far has been unable.

Cook and Elliott, along with Leonard Fournette and Kareem Hunt, remain free agents while  Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs, two of the League's best RBs, must now come to terms with what presents itself as the current reality.

Cheers!

Here is the problem with your argument: The Vikings really don't need Dalvin Cook. They have a top 10 franchise QB , and a pretty good offense.

The Giants are in a different situation. They run a power running game and have a bottom tier passing game.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Fletch on June 14, 2023, 10:53:21 AMHere is the problem with your argument: The Vikings really don't need Dalvin Cook. They have a top 10 franchise QB , and a pretty good offense.

The Giants are in a different situation. They run a power running game and have a bottom tier passing game.

I'll also add they have a very well proven RB waiting in the wings who has already successfully led their backfield when Cook has been out and has shared a ton of carries with him these past few years- Alexander Mattison.  Zeke (Pollard) and Jones (AJ Dillon) are both similar.  Much different situation than the Giants, who have no clear backup/younger guy waiting in the wings to take over should Barkley depart.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on June 14, 2023, 09:48:04 AMEven a long journey begins with a single step.  A deal will take about a month to do.

And so the process begins today (or yesterday, I suppose).  Barring a trade, there are two things to highlight:

First, the offer will be weighed by Barkley and his agent against the result of playing 2023 under the tag.

Second, we don't know ALL details of the offer... like what's covered beyond this year... and how, specifically.

For the umpteenth time... IMO this WILL get done, though probably not until the eleventh hour.

Bob

Bob,

I think that 2nd point is a pretty big one.  The general feel around here is that Barkley turned down X amount of $/year.  Does anyone here have any idea of what the guarantees were in that offer?

Just a guess, or hunch on my part, but I think that's probably a big sticking point.  And even as big of a Barkley supporter as I am, I would be very careful about the guarantees in that contract and be looking to put big performance based escalators to make that 13 or 14 million/year.

On another note, Mods can merge this with the thread I started on the subject.

Painter

Quote from: Fletch on June 14, 2023, 10:53:21 AMHere is the problem with your argument: The Vikings really don't need Dalvin Cook. They have a top 10 franchise QB , and a pretty good offense.

Where did you get the notion that I suggested otherwise or anything of the kind? Did I not make it explicit that I was not judging Barkley's value or worth? Or anyone else's for that matter.

DaveBrown74

This seems to assume they're not planning on pivoting their offensive approach this year and instead are planning on running the exact same approach that they did last year. Ie, run-based approach with mainly very short passes.

Based on what they decided to pay Jones, and based on all the additions they made (via draft, FA, and the Waller trade), I can't agree with that view myself. I think we will see a different style offense this year.

So while Barkley is undoubtedly a great piece to have, the idea that he is indispensable and that they should do whatever it takes financially to keep him is not one that I am personally on board with. And even if it were true (which I don't think it is), they're not a Super Bowl team in 2023 with or without him, so the idea of making a 2-3 year decision you don't really believe in based solely on the immediate short term seems highly suspect to me.

beaugestus

Fletch, you have repeatedly expressed you feelings about Jones here. Don't you think if the Giants would have gotten a cheaper price to sign him they would have done it? We don't know the actual numbers being bandied about when it comes to QBs and I have more faith in Schoen and Daboll they know better than us his worth.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on June 14, 2023, 11:13:17 AMThis seems to assume they're not planning on pivoting their offensive approach this year and instead are planning on running the exact same approach that they did last year. Ie, run-based approach with mainly very short passes.

Based on what they decided to pay Jones, and based on all the additions they made (via draft, FA, and the Waller trade), I can't agree with that view myself. I think we will see a different style offense this year.

So while Barkley is undoubtedly a great piece to have, the idea that he is indispensable and that they should do whatever it takes financially to keep him is not one that I am personally on board with. And even if it were true (which I don't think it is), they're not a Super Bowl team in 2023 with or without him, so the idea of making a 2-3 year decision you don't really believe in based solely on the immediate short term seems highly suspect to me.
The running game absolutely failed half way through the season and we transitioned to a pass first offense. The notion that Daboll after winning coach of the year would go back to a run first offense after adding so many weapons is not only far fetched but in my opinion a joke. Daboll nor Kafka have ever had a run first offense in their time in Buffalo or KC. They prefer to air it out which is why we completely retooled the WR and TE room.

All that to say I agree with everything you said.