News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Orlovsky: Basics of 5 Man Protection

Started by uconnjack8, October 04, 2023, 05:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

This is a play I was wondering about when it happened. At least in terms of how the free blitzer went completely unnoticed. Dan gives his opinion on what broke down:

https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1709155176236355829?t=GKyjuBKVgv9fD3Dlro_sLg&s=19

Ed Vette

Three receivers and four defenders on that side tell you that one is blitzing and it's usually the closest defender.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

The other option is to change the play to a run with five basically in the box. You run the ball to tue right side.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

For a Rookie or even second year QB you let this slide as a learning experience.  But a Year 5 QB who is on his second contract stuff like this should be elementary.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Philosophers

This is where someone like Brady would make a defense pay because he'd see and counter it.  DJ simply doesnt process the numbers or does not see them all neither of which is a good answer.

Trench

He isn't up to the challenge simple as that. We have spent years debating and now even his harshest supporters agree it's time to pull the plug

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on October 05, 2023, 12:02:19 AMHe isn't up to the challenge simple as that. We have spent years debating and now even his harshest supporters agree it's time to pull the plug
Agreeing or waiting to fight another day?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

fromthebside

It's a lot easier to diagnose the play from a bird's eye view.  The blitzer was 3 yards off pre-snap and gunned it at the snap of the ball.  What they need to do is show the angle from the end zone to give a better idea of what Jones was seeing.  Jones has a lot of work to do as a QB and I get frustrated at the simple things he messes up.  This one, I can't fully drop at his door step.  Sometimes you just have to give the defense and their coordinator some credit.

B1GBLUE

i almost miss the days of eli bringing the play clock down to .5 seconds cause he was making so many adjustments at the line. he was a pre snap genius. post snap... lol he had his moments. but i feel like you NEVER see jones moving things around and changing up things at the LOS.