News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

In The First Round (Guests Can Vote)

Started by Ed Vette, December 02, 2023, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose Two Options

You may only select up to 2 options.

Ed Vette

Drafting a QB means they would need to keep three QB's on the Roster in order to protect DeVito. We will see how he plays the rest of the season as to whether they want to protect him or not. Jones will be back at some point.

Almost every QB in this draft has some tarnish. The only two that moved up for me are Daniels and Penik. Again my assessment, but Maye and Williams dropped substantially from a month ago, Nix and McCarthy dropped too but they weren't as high to begin with.

I rank them;

Daniels
Williams
Maye
Penik
Nix
McCarthy (should stay another year)
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

i voted wait for BPA and trade down for picks. we are in no position to say any 1 player is going to change this franchise. we are so bereft of talent, we need all the help we can get. if theres a guy there  (latu, nabers, alt), and we feel they can be a cornerstone player, take em. if you arent totally sold on them, then trade down and grab another 2nd round pick. that would give us 3 2nd rounders and a 1st. if theres a guy we felt strongly about thats still there mid 1st, trade back up. play the game. i'd be more than happy to have a mid-late 1st and 3 2's. you can do a lot with that. some of our best picks over the last decade have been 2nd rounders.

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 02, 2023, 02:35:04 PMI picked qb and trade up because if you find a guy that you think is elite you do whatever you need to in order to get him.

So give away the house and the barn to get a guy you THINK will become a franchise player?!!
How often have teems picking at the top or near it have missed?
How often franchise players were picked below the top 5 or even 10?

Unless we were one or two players away from being a great team, that strategy to me is totally wrong.

Jclayton92

Quote from: GloryDays on December 04, 2023, 05:11:44 PMSo give away the house and the barn to get a guy you THINK will become a franchise player?!!
How often have teems picking at the top or near it have missed?
How often franchise players were picked below the top 5 or even 10?

Unless we were one or two players away from being a great team, that strategy to me is totally wrong.

Well if Jones hadn't been a complete and utter bust then we wouldn't be in this situation. Sadly it took 5 years to realize that for management and most fans.

Qbs win football games, yes it Is a team sport and other players matter too but even this year if we have CJ Stroud under center instead of Jones even with the injuries I think we are in the playoffs easily. That's how quickly things move when you change one position.

Yes Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson were picked later on but besides them every other elite Qb has gone in the top 10. I would much rather the organization be aggressive and get their guy by any means necessary than just waiting around to continue losing.

So if we give up multiple draft picks and hit on a guy it's amazing and even if they don't hit at least they tried. Better that than trotting Jones out for another irrelevant year.

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 04, 2023, 05:19:35 PMWell if Jones hadn't been a complete and utter bust then we wouldn't be in this situation. Sadly it took 5 years to realize that for management and most fans.

IT IS NOT A FOREGONE CONCLUSION THAT JONES IS A BUST, I personally still believe that if we have a more reliable O line, that can produce some running lanes and 3-4 seconds of time for receivers to get open, DJ will be very effective.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 04, 2023, 05:19:35 PMQbs win football games, yes it Is a team sport and other players matter too but even this year if we have CJ Stroud under center instead of Jones even with the injuries I think we are in the playoffs easily. That's how quickly things move when you change one position.

Houston has a much better O line than we do. Stroud is pretty good, but how are the other 3 doing?

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 04, 2023, 05:19:35 PMYes Jalen Hurts, and Lamar Jackson were picked later on but besides them every other elite Qb has gone in the top 10. I would much rather the organization be aggressive and get their guy by any means necessary than just waiting around to continue losing.

So if we give up multiple draft picks and hit on a guy it's amazing and even if they don't hit at least they tried. Better that than trotting Jones out for another irrelevant year.

Almost any QB that you can draft, is guaranteed to fail and look like a bust, behind our O line and our Receivers group.

T200

Quote from: GloryDays on December 04, 2023, 06:21:08 PMIT IS NOT A FOREGONE CONCLUSION THAT JONES IS A BUST, I personally still believe that if we have a more reliable O line, that can produce some running lanes and 3-4 seconds of time for receivers to get open, DJ will be very effective.
Very few QBs will get 3-4 seconds of protection. The great ones thrive no matter the condition. We don't have that in Jones. His clock is shot. Giving him a more reliable line and 3-4 seconds isn't going to improve his pocket presence, field vision, or fix his broken clock. And now he can't stay healthy.

I also don't agree that he's a bust... but being drafted 6th overall and not living up to the expectations certainly has the needle pointing that way.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

I view Jones as a bust myself, but I certainly accept that there is some subjectivity there. What is not up for debate is that Jones has been demonstrable way less durable than what would is acceptable for his position and for the cash outlay involved. If you want to put all of that on the O line, medical staff, or whoever else, and completely absolve him, go ahead, but that doesn't change the reality of it. He is simply not the long term answer. I don't know why so many want to cling to hope with a player who has been so hopeless.

Ed Vette

Fyi, 52 guests have voted. They may think differently than the group. A wider scope of perspective.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 05, 2023, 10:11:17 AMFyi, 52 guests have voted. They may think differently than the group. A wider scope of perspective.
Ed,

Is there a way to compare the guests' votes against the membership's votes?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: T200 on December 05, 2023, 10:49:36 AMEd,

Is there a way to compare the guests' votes against the membership's votes?
Not that I'm aware of.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: GloryDays on December 04, 2023, 06:21:08 PMIT IS NOT A FOREGONE CONCLUSION THAT JONES IS A BUST, I personally still believe that if we have a more reliable O line, that can produce some running lanes and 3-4 seconds of time for receivers to get open, DJ will be very effective.

Houston has a much better O line than we do. Stroud is pretty good, but how are the other 3 doing?

Name another Qb that has had 5 years of bad Qb play and then came out and did something different? Zero

Jones has only surpassed 200 yards passing 8 times in the past 2 seasons which is laughable its that bad. Jones has had worse passing numbers than most backups in the league, his passing numbers were on par with Davis Mills last season who they got rid of for stroud, and just this season a journeyman + an undrafted rookie on his own team outplayed him easily.

The 6th overall pick averaging 3,000 yards and like 12 passing tds a season, how is he not a bust?

No Qb gets 3 to 4 seconds ever, the average time to throw is around 2 seconds league wide.

Also Houston has tunsil we have Thomas so that's a scratch and beyond that they've been decimated by injury as well playing people all over the line this season.