News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Tyrod Taylor “disappointed” to learn he lost Giants QB job to Tommy DeVito

Started by MightyGiants, December 06, 2023, 11:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

The end comes to us all in all phases of life. For some it's met with relief, for others it's bitter. Taylor can see the end of his career staring him in the face. It's not hard to empathize with his reaction.

Uni

I see a lot of posts with the opinion that Jones will start next year "because they're paying him so much money". But if that is the logic on who plays, then why is DeVito starting over Taylor?

Good to see the team not falling prey to sunk cost fallacy.

andrew_nyGiants

Why must there always be drama when it isn't there? MEDIA!

They are starting DeVito because they are trying to evaluate his upside and ability to develop.
Imagine if he improves immeasurably each week until end of the season?!

Everyone who's paid attention knows how good Tyrod is. I like and respect him. That being said, he's also proven to be brittle. He's in his last year here so it makes sense that he is now the emergency option. Why risk getting him hurt again so he cannot get another job?

We're in a REBUILD fellow Giant fans. What do you do when you're rebuilding?! Evaluate young talent.
#nodrama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Uni on December 06, 2023, 03:24:58 PMI see a lot of posts with the opinion that Jones will start next year "because they're paying him so much money". But if that is the logic on who plays, then why is DeVito starting over Taylor?

Good to see the team not falling prey to sunk cost fallacy.

Excellent point, and I 100% agree. That money is gone regardless (the guaranteed part at least). You don't play the QB you think is inferior just because you have committed more money to him. Same way you don't deliberately stay in a poker hand you know you're for sure clearly a prohibitive underdog in just because you've already put a decent amount of chips in the pot. I'm pretty sure Schoen understands this.

Obviously, NFL GMs sometimes face conundrums where the smart, correct move is also the humiliating one and the one that forces you to clearly concede you regret something you have done, and sometimes these guys feel they can't go that way because it will likely cost them their job, but I don't think Schoen is anywhere near such a position at this point.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 06, 2023, 01:32:28 PMnext season.
Trade would be the only way it happens I just don't see any team that would be willing to give him the remainder of the contract unless he restructured. From my look at the numbers the team trading for him would be on the hook for 3 year 112-113 million. And we would just be on the hook for 33 million over 3 years at 11 a year.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 06, 2023, 05:45:44 PMTrade would be the only way it happens I just don't see any team that would be willing to give him the remainder of the contract unless he restructured. From my look at the numbers the team trading for him would be on the hook for 3 year 112-113 million. And we would just be on the hook for 33 million over 3 years at 11 a year.
Like I said, trade him in season. The Giants are on the hook for $81 million guaranteed at signing. That is his Bonus plus the 23 and 24 year salary. A trade would at first glance give the Giants 69 million in dead cap and nothing for the new team. The new team would be liable the fifth day of the 2025 season for $11 million that year.

However, I believe a deal can be made to cover the 2024 salary by the trade partner or a portion there of. In 2025 the trade partner would be able to cut Jones any time after that fifth day guarantee and only have a cap hit of 11 million or nothing if they cut him before hand.

It's an excellent contract that Schoen protected the Franchise with.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 05:36:52 PMExcellent point, and I 100% agree. That money is gone regardless (the guaranteed part at least). You don't play the QB you think is inferior just because you have committed more money to him. Same way you don't deliberately stay in a poker hand you know you're for sure clearly a prohibitive underdog in just because you've already put a decent amount of chips in the pot. I'm pretty sure Schoen understands this.

Obviously, NFL GMs sometimes face conundrums where the smart, correct move is also the humiliating one and the one that forces you to clearly concede you regret something you have done, and sometimes these guys feel they can't go that way because it will likely cost them their job, but I don't think Schoen is anywhere near such a position at this point.

Im sure Schoen understands this but we have a meddling owner, who has had made comments
on how unfairly we have treated Jones in the past ("we have done everything possible to screw him up") so there is that. 

Mara likes Jones persona.  Its going to be difficult to oust Jones even if he goes back to his "outlet pass offense".  Im sure Jones is feeling the TommyD heat.

Maybe when Jones returns he will start to take more chances downfield, although I dont think he has the "touch" for those hole shots that Tommy is so good at.

Its hard not to like Jones, and he is financially set for life

Its complicated

Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

jimc

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 06, 2023, 11:29:11 AMHe sees the handwriting on the wall.  DeVito is cheaper, younger and has a ceiling above him.

Whether or not he reaches that ceiling, I think the Giants are smart to let him play.

It's a no-lose situation for the Giants, unless you believe Tyrod could "run the table."

Bob

PS. ....which, for either guy, is laughable, IMO.

I agree. They know what they have in Tyrod and he's not going to take them where they want to go. They need to see more of what they have in DeVito, which will help them make the QB2 decision.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 05:36:52 PMObviously, NFL GMs sometimes face conundrums where the smart, correct move is also the humiliating one and the one that forces you to clearly concede you regret something you have done, and sometimes these guys feel they can't go that way because it will likely cost them their job, but I don't think Schoen is anywhere near such a position at this point.
DB: Yes, that's why Schoen makes the big bucks and why it's so important to have stability at the QB position. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!