News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

When it rains, it pours

Started by LennG, December 14, 2023, 03:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

I had already explained my recent health scare and hopefully recovery. We just had our yearly physicals and we both passed with flying colors. Well, not all that colorful, as I am still pre-diabetic and have been for many years, but it hasn't gotten worse.
So Thursday I went for my regular 4-month visit to my dermatologist and Wonder of wonders, another weird-looking thing on my arm was taken off, and the results yesterday another melanoma, my 4th. That is why I go every 4 months, hoping that when they do appear, it is caught early with no repercussions. I do need surgery to remove it, but hopefully, because it was caught early enough, I should be fine. What a month and a half this has been.

My first melanoma was maybe 10 years ago, then good for another  5 years, and now two in the past 15 months. I am sure paying for all that sun as a youth and all those years as an umpire, standing in the sun all day.

I have said this so many times already, anyone over  50 should do a yearly skin check. Even if you don't see anything, melanoma or other skin cancers can appear in places you couldn't imagine. I know people sluff it off, but believe me, I know. This is deadly when not taken care of, so don't be brave and get yourself checked just as you would a regular yearly physical. It COULD save your life.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Very thankful for sharing that, Len. And even more thankful for your diligence in getting regular checkups. Praying that the removal goes well for you.  :ok:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Fair skin is a bitch Lenn...I know. I've had so many cancerous things cut off that I lost count. Only Basil cell and Squamous Cell though, never Melanoma...knock on wood

I'm starting my once every three year fluorourcil treatment to burn the skin off my face, head, ears, neck, arms and hands. I hate going through it. I look hideous once everything turns red and starts bleeding. People say, "man, are you okay?". The good thing, a month after doing it, I look 5 years younger and my regrown skin looks great. Anyway, smart move to stay ahead of it before it's too late. Are you getting Mohs surgery, or are they just cutting it out at the office or in out patient?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 14, 2023, 09:34:49 PMFair skin is a bitch Lenn...I know. I've had so many cancerous things cut off that I lost count. Only Basil cell and Squamous Cell though, never Melanoma...knock on wood

I'm starting my once every three year fluorourcil treatment to burn the skin off my face, head, ears, neck, arms and hands. I hate going through it. I look hideous once everything turns red and starts bleeding. People say, "man, are you okay?". The good thing, a month after doing it, I look 5 years younger and my regrown skin looks great. Anyway, smart move to stay ahead of it before it's too late. Are you getting Mohs surgery, or are they just cutting it out at the office or in out patient?

I haven't seen the surgeon yet for this one but in the past 3 it was done in the hospital as an outpatient.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss