News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JN.1 is the latest COVID variant and spreading like wild fire...and I caught it

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 22, 2023, 04:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I've been going through a variety of bodily changes the last two days. First, I thought maybe I was having a heart attack, as I could feel pain deep inside my chest to the left. I worried all day that I might need a stint, but the pain moved to a different part of my body and seem to be subsiding. Then I started into coughing and sneezing and I woke up in the middle of the night trying to figure out what was going on inside my body - I could feel things going on, but I couldn't identify it because I have no memory of such feelings going through my body like that. I got up this morning with a terrible cold, blowing my nose all day, coughing, hacking, and feel like I'm freezing even though I have it at 80 degrees in the room and am draped in an electric blanket turned all the way up. Took two extra strength Tylenol capsules, which seemed to help. I've spent more time in the jacuzzi the last couple of days than I have in weeks...and as soon as I'm through typing this, I'm going back in

I didn't really consider COVID because I've had all the vaccinations and boosters, plus the RSV shot, plus the regular flu shot. I got my last booster only 4 or 5 weeks ago. Anyway, I have two different types of home tests for COVID. The first was fairly complicated. After 15 minutes, the lines on the test module were clear as a bell - COVID Positive. I had my doubts, so I tried a different test given to me by my doctor. It was a little easier than the one mailed to me by the government. I went through all the steps and read, "even if the lines are very light, almost too light to read, look carefully because it's positive". Well, once I took the strips out, the two lines were so clear you can see them across the room

My biggest worry is that my 92-year-old mother will catch it, so I've wiped down the whole house with alcohol, and I'm wearing a KN95 mask and keeping my distance from my frail Mom. I'm not worried about me, but extremely worried about her

Anyway, I just read an article a few days ago about the new variant JN.1 which surprised a lot of experts about how fast this has spread across the northeast since Thanksgiving...faster than any other previous variant. I still wash my hands like a madman, wipe down shopping carts, get all the latest boosters, etc., and I still got it
Damn  :Faint:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

Damn man. Have your mom wear a wask when you're near her. It's so odd how you got it living in a sub populated area. Saw a Dr. Today and she said that RSV has put a lot of people in the hospital and at her office. The new variant is at the initial stages since Thanksgiving.

Feel better and get well.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

It's definitely going around. I know several who have had it recently. Hope you feel better soon JBG.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 22, 2023, 07:05:15 PMDamn man. Have your mom wear a wask when you're near her. It's so odd how you got it living in a sub populated area. Saw a Dr. Today and she said that RSV has put a lot of people in the hospital and at her office. The new variant is at the initial stages since Thanksgiving.

Feel better and get well.

Thanks Ed. Even though I live in the boonies, I spend a lot of time in Binghamton (hockey games and mingling with friends at my favorite dive), Syracuse for different issues, and shopping in Cortland at the always crowded Walmart, Price Chopper, eating at A&W, and of course Lowes. I've felt as if I have nothing to worry about because I've been so diligent with getting the recommended shots and almost a nutcase about washing my hands and sterilizing everything. I guess my confidence just got busted

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 22, 2023, 07:10:14 PMIt's definitely going around. I know several who have had it recently. Hope you feel better soon JBG.

Thanks Steve

Sem

I hope you're feeling better soon and that there are no long term issues as a result of this virus. Also, take extra precautions when you're around your mom.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on December 22, 2023, 07:19:17 PMI hope you're feeling better soon and that there are no long term issues as a result of this virus. Also, take extra precautions when you're around your mom.

Thanks (the other) Steve. I've isolated myself from my mother and have my daughter and older brother looking after her. I'm holed up with nothing to do but play on the computer, binge-watch TV, and lay in the jacuzzi

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on December 22, 2023, 07:25:08 PMThanks (the other) Steve. I've isolated myself from my mother and have my daughter and older brother looking after her. I'm holed up with nothing to do but play on the computer, binge-watch TV, and lay in the jacuzzi
Vitamin D, up to 4000 a day.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 22, 2023, 07:58:34 PMVitamin D, up to 4000 a day.

I already take that amount daily since 2005 because I have fair skin and avoid the sun. I suspect Lenn takes it as well

My ex-girlfriend (who still calls me nearly every day) had Covid last month that knocked her on her ass. She said that her Dr. told her to drink lots of fluids like Gatorade and other rich sources of electrolytes. I guess that ZICO Coconut Water is tops. I also heard a story on Fox News about the new variant JN.1 going wild and a doctor from Cornell suggested taking probiotics even if you haven't gotten it as it helps avoiding catching it, but if you do, it makes you heal faster and the symptoms are lighter...don't know, but I'll try it

https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/12/22/covid-flu-holiday-surge-jn1-variant/?lctg=D50294C3B408F5A2D5F9E513FE

LennG

Gosh Ric, I thought I was the only one needing all this medical care. It does sound scary since you are up to your ears with shots et al. I forgot what that drug is for COVID that you can take to help alleviate the symptoms and help in the recovery. You need to take it something like 5 days after the symptoms appear. Have you considered that?

As for the vitamin D, no I don't take it and really never heard much about this. Is this something new? Does sound like something I would be interested in if it is a proven thing.

anyway, try to make yourself as comfortable as possible and feel better soon. Plenty of football this weekend to help you keep busy.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 09:41:19 PMGosh Ric, I thought I was the only one needing all this medical care. It does sound scary since you are up to your ears with shots et al. I forgot what that drug is for COVID that you can take to help alleviate the symptoms and help in the recovery. You need to take it something like 5 days after the symptoms appear. Have you considered that?

As for the vitamin D, no I don't take it and really never heard much about this. Is this something new? Does sound like something I would be interested in if it is a proven thing.

anyway, try to make yourself as comfortable as possible and feel better soon. Plenty of football this weekend to help you keep busy.
The way your body gets its Vitamin D3 is by one's skin absorbing it in the sun. Those who don't spend a lot of time basking in sunlight, should take the supplement

From our friend Google: "... it (vitamin D) helps the body absorb and retain calcium and phosphorus; both are critical for building bone. Also, laboratory studies show that vitamin D can reduce cancer cell growth, help control infections and reduce inflammation"

The drug you are referring to is (I think) Paxlovid. And is usually given to patients "who are at a high risk of complications"...whatever that means

I plan on toughing it out at home. If I take a turn for the worse, I'd head to the hospital. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse

Bill Brown

I am a believer in vitamin D. Been taking 4k a day for several years thanks to Ed posting about it several years ago and since taking it I have had no lung issues with colds, flu etc. Having been diagnosed with COPD several years ago taking care of my lungs is very important and taking vitamin D is definitely part of that. This winter I am  taking 5000 a day.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on December 23, 2023, 05:39:32 AMI am a believer in vitamin D. Been taking 4k a day for several years thanks to Ed posting about it several years ago and since taking it I have had no lung issues with colds, flu etc. Having been diagnosed with COPD several years ago taking care of my lungs is very important and taking vitamin D is definitely part of that. This winter I am struggling taking 5000 a day.

Bill
It's not safe to take 5000 a day so watch it in combination with any multivitamin you take. Google or ask your doctor about taking more than 4000.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on December 22, 2023, 09:41:19 PMGosh Ric, I thought I was the only one needing all this medical care. It does sound scary since you are up to your ears with shots et al. I forgot what that drug is for COVID that you can take to help alleviate the symptoms and help in the recovery. You need to take it something like 5 days after the symptoms appear. Have you considered that?

https://blog.optimalhealthsystems.com/over-80-percent-of-covid-19-patients-have-vitamin-d-deficiency-in-spanish-study/?gclid=CjwKCAiAp5qsBhAPEiwAP0qeJpaFaCUoeAbxGl7Nj0xAk2v5doQEuldirqGWy2oOOuJ4YQTod8dDgBoC5g0QAvD_BwE
~ Coach Tom Coughlin