News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Greatest Looking, but most UselessThing in my Home - probably yours too

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 26, 2023, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I have a complete set of Encyclopedia Americana and a complete set of The Book of Knowledge. In the office, it looks sophisticated as a lawyer's office...yet they take up half a wall and are totally worthless, not to mention, there's no way to even get rid of them  ~X(

Anyone have an idea what to do with these encyclopedias? Together they weigh about 500 lbs. Can't burn them, can't sell them, can't donate them...

One of my favorite ads from the past:

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

I love telling young people how lucky they are. They have almost every answer they will ever need in a little device they carry around with them.

I share with them the challenges of the pre-internet days where one's knowledge (outside of what was already in your brain) was limited to your family's encyclopedia and other books, or if you had that time and ambition, a trip to your library.

I really, really, really love how much better things are thanks to the internet.

Even though I will confess a certain nostalgia over things like my Giants News Weekly newspaper and newspapers in general (when they were among the kings of news).  I still get a newspaper but it's getting more and more expensive while the quality and quantity of content diminishes.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Seriously, I probably have several, many even many, ite ms in our home, that I just love, but are useless in today's world. I was looking around and what really came to me was my old Stereo components that I bought many years ago when I was in the service, but I still used them for years afterward.
I have a very powerful SONY Amplifier, 4 Huge Scott Speakers, and an AKAI reel-to-reel stereo tape deck. ( I got rid of my turntable when records really went out of style. I have these wonderful components that cost me bundles back in the day, but at that time they were top of the line and they are basically sitting around, useless but I refuse to get rid of them. They are sort of buried away right now so I pulled some pix off the internet as these items are still around.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss