News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - 2024 HOF Finalists

Started by uconnjack8, December 28, 2023, 09:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Interesting class of 15 finalists. I see 7 or 8 that strike me as having similar resume's.  I think Devin Hester is a good debate topic.

uconnjack8

At first glance I would probably start with these 4:

Patrick Willis
Jared Allen
Jahri Evans
Julius Peppers

kartanoman

Also, out of the coaches, it appears Buddy Parker got the nod over Tom Coughlin and the other candidates. Parker's coaching the champion Lions of the early 1950s makes him a deserving selection.

Look for Coughlin to receive serious consideration next year.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

DaveBrown74

It amazes me that Tory Holt isn't in yet. He was incredible. Guy played for 11 seasons and was absolutely awesome for 8 or 9 of those years (good in the other 2-3). He also literally missed only three games in his career. Three games! Think about that feat for a second, and then think about our team. If we can get a Giants receiver to miss only three games in a single season we have been conditioned to regard that as a solid outcome, and our head trainer is in the team's ring of honor for it. Consider also that more contact with receivers by defenders was allowed when played than today. He was an absolutely tremendous talent and the quintessence of the word "dependable."

Giant Obsession

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 28, 2023, 07:09:22 PMIt amazes me that Tory Holt isn't in yet. He was incredible. Guy played for 11 seasons and was absolutely awesome for 8 or 9 of those years (good in the other 2-3). He also literally missed only three games in his career. Three games! Think about that feat for a second, and then think about our team. If we can get a Giants receiver to miss only three games in a single season we have been conditioned to regard that as a solid outcome, and our head trainer is in the team's ring of honor for it. Consider also that more contact with receivers by defenders was allowed when played than today. He was an absolutely tremendous talent and the quintessence of the word "dependable."

He is an interesting one.  He had like 5 or 6 years that he averaged like 1500 yards. 

What I find surprising is that he was only 1st team all-pro once. Some tough choices on those, like 2000 for example.  He led the league in yardage but did not get 1st team all-pro. I think it was because he only had 6 TDs as opposed to Moss and Owen's, who were the 1st teamers and had 15 amd 13 respectively.

And that TD snub is where I think he has fallen short for the HOF.  He has 74 careers TDs, less than half of Owens and Moss.  Its actually a surprisingly low number given the rest of what he did in his career.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on December 29, 2023, 02:43:16 PMHe is an interesting one.  He had like 5 or 6 years that he averaged like 1500 yards. 

What I find surprising is that he was only 1st team all-pro once. Some tough choices on those, like 2000 for example.  He led the league in yardage but did not get 1st team all-pro. I think it was because he only had 6 TDs as opposed to Moss and Owen's, who were the 1st teamers and had 15 amd 13 respectively.

And that TD snub is where I think he has fallen short for the HOF.  He has 74 careers TDs, less than half of Owens and Moss.  Its actually a surprisingly low number given the rest of what he did in his career.

He happened to be in the NFC with Owens and Moss for a chunk of his career. Hence the all pro issue. He's obviously not as good as those guys - nobody would argue otherwise. But that doesn't mean he's not HOF material. Those two were probably two of the top 5 or 6 ever to play.

As for the TDs: he didn't hang around for a lot of extra years after his prime and collect an assortment of 3-5 TD type years to pad the total the way his teammate Isaac Bruce did. I'm not sure Holt should be kept out for that. He exhibited excellent durability, and then at 33, when it was clear he wasn't as good anymore, he walked away. I find that dignified myself. A lot of these compiler type athletes hang around too long, sometimes to the point of it getting awkward. Holt's TD production was better than Bruce's on a per season basis. And it's not like he retired because he was an injured mess. He retired because he didn't want to hang around just to rack up a few more cheap stats when he knew he couldn't play at a level he considered up to his standards anymore. Athletes should be commended and rewarded for that, not dinged.

andrew_nyGiants

I know there are those still angry at Barber. I'll admit, I was for a while.

But there is no way all of the finalists selected have had a more impressive career than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Hadron

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on December 30, 2023, 12:13:54 PMI know there are those still angry at Barber. I'll admit, I was for a while.

But there is no way all of the finalists selected have had a more impressive career than him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd take Tiki over Fred Taylor any day of the week.

Hadron

Jahari Evans, Willie Anderson and Julius Peppers.

Andre Johnson is an interesting one. He's probably the top player in franchise history besides JJ Watt (who is a first ballot HoF).