News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Northern Exposure Is Streaming For the First Time Ever

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2024, 08:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I've never seen the show, but have heard others on here like it a lot...so I am going to give it a shot. I have hardly left the house since before Christmas because of my Covid so I've binged Young Sheldon (really liked it) and caught up on movies as well as series that I have to wait each week for. This will give me something new to watch as I'm still not over the hump with this nasty flu

The idea of a setting in Alaska probably is why I never watched it. I'm not a fan of any show that reminds me of cold, snow, ice, etc. Unless it's about skiing

I do know a joke about Alaska...which kind of represents how I feel about canoeing a river in the deep south where few people live (think "Deliverance"). Anyway, here's the joke:

A successful businessman in NYC finally gets fed up with the hustle and bustle of the financial world where he works ridiculously hard and far too many hours. He's tired of the smell of exhaust and fighting his way through the crowded world of strangers, an everyday occurrence. So he decides to take his fortunes and moves to Alaska away from all people where he can finally write novels and just enjoy nature

After a couple of years of living in the wilderness, he starts feeling antsy about never seeing another person. He gets a knock on the door one day and there's a big burly man wrapped in animal hides. He introduces himself and says, "I live a couple of mountains over that way and I thought I'd invite you to a party I'm having". The businessman says, "that sounds nice, it's been a long time since I've socialized...thank you, I'll be there". The mountain man replies, "I gotta warn ya, there'll be some heavy drinking". The businessman replied, "oh, no problem, I've been to a lot of social events where there's heavy drinking". The mountain man then says, "I should also warn you, there's likely to be some pretty rough fighting going on", to which the businessman replied, "no problem there, I know how to keep out of fights and I can handle myself if confronted". The mountain man then said, "well, you should probably know there will be a lot of sex going on", to which the businessman chuckled, "I'm from NYC, I am aware that sex goes on all the time and it doesn't bother me". The mountain man said, "great, then I expect to see you Saturday night" and gave him the details of how to get to his cabin.

As the mountain man was leaving, the businessman called out, "what should I wear?". The mountain man replied:
"it doesn't matter, it's only going to be the two of us"

Anyway, that's a little of what I think of Alaska..." Deliverance", only in a freezing cold setting. But who knows, maybe I'll like it
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

We watched Northern Exposure from the day it premiered until it went off the air and we loved it. What a great cast, many of who have gone on to bigger and better things.

If there was a word for this show it would be quirky.

You have to get into the premises-- a town in Alaska pays for this guy's college to become a doctor but he has to live in this town for a while after graduating. He meets all sorts of lovable but quirky people (maybe if I lived there, I wouldn't think they were that quirky--but since I don't, they are). If you buy into the premiss you will adore the show.  We did and loved it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 06, 2024, 08:03:28 AMI know it made the list of some of your top shows ever.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/northern-exposure-streaming-first-time-182500897.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly9vbGQucmVkZGl0LmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAANfxfEZLXXIOIOkaAsn8TDfUUT7iJEYM7-ilHNzzz3ilOqv_0AJ3AtRJ6AvYm70ga1x0zpGxoP9Of7w7VhxPWLbgjgpM4Kcn-6OAs6FyZ9mb2tFlKhFErO6_V65hAaeFEkwGzcrHb04kdZEopxmys5YeL_PLJGUOX93T6KkA9BiJ
Rich: Outside of me copying my DVD's and mailing them out (lol), this is a great opportunity for a good time.

The series is not for everyone, but I do believe it stands up even today. It was a show ahead of its time, IMO, and although I can't promise you'll like it, I do believe at least two out of three people will.

The concept, the music, the photography, the acting... it has something for everyone.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!