News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Sopranos turn 25

Started by LennG, January 10, 2024, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/the-sopranos-turns-25-actor-steve-schirripa-who-played-bobby-bacala-tells-wins-the-show-will-endure-forever/ar-AA1mLERV?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ad2c2c28038549ec9ce360b928d2cd48&ei=27

I never watched The Sopranos when it came out as I never had HBO. I was able to get the CDs/DVDs from our library and was able to watch them maybe 4-5 months after it was aired so I was always a huge fan.

What a gigantic show and always in the top 3-5 greatest TV shows ever.

When I watched the finale, I didn't know about the so-called 'controversy' about the ending, so I thought WTF happened, my screen went blank at the pivotal moment, only to realize that was it and the rest was left to one's imagination.

Just a terrific cast and it's hard to believe it has been 25 years since we watched. Funny, I tried to watch it again when it was shown on regular TV but it had so many edits, that it was impossible to really get the feel for the show and its amazing cast of characters.

I know a reference was made about The Sopranos on a thread on the main board, so it prompted me to relook at some of its greatest episodes.

For fans, what was your best episode?

Mine was when Christopher and Pauley were out in the woods, trying to kill the Russian and they get lost.
(Pine Barrens)
And, to me the most gut-wrenching was the killing of Adriana.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Lenn,

It's coincidental to the point of being almost weird that you made this thread. After the Sopranos came up today in one of the main board threads about Mike Lombardi (who frequently references the show in his podcasts), @MightyGiants mentioned he was thinking about watching the show just based on always hearing about it in the pods. Since I didn't want to get too off the main topic in the thread, I PM'd him to put in a word for the show and recommend it to him in the strongest terms possible. He said he was putting it in his queue of shows, which I think he will ultimately be glad he did.

I am a HUGE fan of the show. I re-watch certain segments of it from time to time, and I don't really do that with any other shows and only a small handful of movies. I thought it was absolutely fantastic, and (as I said to Rich) I would go as far as to say it was brilliant in some respects?

Favorite episode? That's very tough, because there were just so many I loved. "Pine Barrens" is certainly up there, and I think that's a favorite for many. I loved the main season with the Ralphie character. I really don't think I could ever isolate one episode. There are just too many for me.

It was also a show that was great right up to the end. Many shows tail off a bit in the final season or so, or have really bad endings. Sopranos stayed great right up until the final scene. That's part of what I loved about it.

LennG

I used to listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on our local radio WFAN while I was working. When any new season of the Sopranos started, all they talked about every week, instead of sports, was the new episode. I kind of knew what was going to happen before I ever watched. So many people discussed every episode it was unbelievable. They analyzed everything from what Tony said to who, what he wanted 'his crew' to do, Junior, and who was due to get whacked.

It was a fun ride and basically revolutionized what we watched on TV from then on.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on January 11, 2024, 12:05:09 PMI used to listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on our local radio WFAN while I was working. When any new season of the Sopranos started, all they talked about every week, instead of sports, was the new episode. I kind of knew what was going to happen before I ever watched. So many people discussed every episode it was unbelievable. They analyzed everything from what Tony said to who, what he wanted 'his crew' to do, Junior, and who was due to get whacked.

It was a fun ride and basically revolutionized what we watched on TV from then on.

Agreed. I did my best when it was running to watch every live broadcast of it live. It was too popular to avoid hearing about it, and I was enjoying it so much I didn't want it ruined. I generally never make plans on Sunday nights, so it wasn't much of an issue to watch it live. Obviously, when the Giants were on prime time, that was a challenge, but other than that I was pretty on top of it in real time.

The characters in the Sopranos are so good. And so many of them are really good. The main ones are all top notch IMO: Tony (obviously), Chrissy, Paulie, Sil, Bobby Baccala, Junior, Carmela, the two kids, they're all superb. It really was groundbreaking stuff.

I was thinking, if MG does indeed decide to watch it, in a funny way I'm almost jealous of him for having all of that greatness in front of him. That's literally how much I love that series.

LennG

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Dave

A friend just sent me these 2 trailers. one from the original show and one for the 25th anniversary

It's funny, I had completely forgotten about Tony's mother as a great character.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

It just keeps getting better.

25 years of Sopranos and FOOD. You will enjoy this one.

PS--another character I had forgotten about Arty

Charlie Weiss