News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Super Bowl LVIII

Started by uconnjack8, February 04, 2024, 08:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

49ers Vs Chiefs

49ers -2
O/U 47.5

Right now I am leaning toward a 49ers win.  One of the few statistical differences with these teams is offensive points/game. 

These offenses are an interesting contrast in terms of the way they are built.  KC has the QB widely regarded as the best in the league.  His surrounding cast aside from Kelce is very average. Purdy, who's ceiling is somewhat of an unknown, is surrounded by multiple All-pros and guys just a tier or two below that. 

They are both run by top offensive minds of this generation.

The defenses are both top 5 in the league and will likely be the story of the day.

I could definitely see KC winning this game.  Will Spags have a relatively inexperienced Purdy confused?  He looked a little shaky against Detroit for a half. 

On the other hand I think it will be tough sledding for KCs offense with no one that really stretches the defense. 

I dont see a unit on either side that will be an absolute game wrecker ( like DL in Deb-Sea or Den-Car for example).

In the end I think SFs skill guys make enough plays for a low scoring close victory.   

uconnjack8

Couldn't get all the files in one post

Hadron

Don't sleep on Rashee Rice. He's been money the second half of the season and gave KC that second receiving target. Not only that, but Pacheco is doing yeoman's work this year.

On the other hand: CMC is on his own planet. If Purdy limits the mistakes and gets the balls to his playmakers, I think the Niners win this one.

spiderblue43

Don't like at all the Niners run defense in the playoffs-vulnerable. KC D has been great all year.Purdy has looked shaky at times..clutch also.

If the Chiefs get ahead..trouble for SF. Let's face it: Lions shrunk in the moment against the Niners..critical mistakes a young team could be expected to make.

The Chiefs? Battle tested, poised and playing their best football  They totally spooked the Ravens last week..got them totally out of sync.

Leaning KC..for now.

kartanoman

Good discussion.

I'm pulling for Purdy to make his Cinderella-like NFL career reach fulfillment with the glass slipper fitting in the end. To make it happen, he will need his difference maker, Deebo Samuel, to wreak havoc in the secondary, very much the way he did against the Lions, to open up Aiyuk and Jennings for the big plays, TE George Kittle for the seam and crossing patterns, and RB McCaffrey as a double threat runner/receiver out of the backfield. Purdy can let them all stretch the field while taking off running for that added dimension while his outstanding offensive line protects him. Spags will have to contend with multiple combinations of these depending what the 49ers line up prior to the snap. Will Purdy try to counter Spags' calls with check with me countercalls? The chess match there will be very interesting to watch as the game progresses into the second half where the 49ers have responded to challenges where they haven't played well in the first half.

The Packers and Lions may have truly exposed a weak spot in the 49ers pass defense by slipping a TE into the seam. Similar to the old days of Simms to Bavaro, the 49ers' gave up ground in the seam like a broken siv over the playoffs to date and Kelce must be frothing at the bit. The Chiefs laid 40+ on the 49ers last season in Santa Clara so that game is going to be used a bit as a reference point. But the last two playoff games should put a scare in the 49ers LBing corps.

This one could go the way the Chiefs-Bills games did; where both teams went downfield back and forth for three quarters and then it stopped to a grinding halt in the 4th. But I'm hoping both offenses light it up and the difference being one team makes a critical stop to win it all.

As I said, I'm pulling for Purdy, but I'm going to just enjoy the game on its own merit and change the channel at halftime. I refuse to acknowledge the halftime shows as I tune in to watch football.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

uconnjack8

The defensive styles are also contrasts.  SF has one of the lowest blitz percentages in the league and KC has one of the highest. 

Will be interesting to see if KC does try to run more given SFs recent play against the run.  I would say, that GB and Detroit have better weapons on the outside to keep defenses honest and SF's secondary will probably not be as worried about the KC WR's as they were about the previous opponents. 

LennG

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 05, 2024, 11:27:34 AMThe defensive styles are also contrasts.  SF has one of the lowest blitz percentages in the league and KC has one of the highest. 

Will be interesting to see if KC does try to run more given SFs recent play against the run.  I would say, that GB and Detroit have better weapons on the outside to keep defenses honest and SF's secondary will probably not be as worried about the KC WR's as they were about the previous opponents. 

If I were the Niners OC, I look at what the Bills did several times, run the ball all day. McCaffrey is in a world of his own. I would feed him the ball all day. Keep Mahones off the field and take that trophy home.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

uconnjack8

Just heard this stat:

Isiah Pacheco is the 4th RB with a rushing TD in each of 3 playoff games leading up to a Super Bowl appearance.

The other 3 who all won the Super Bowl:

Terrell Davis
Jerome Bettis
Brandon Jacobs.