News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - Fans Facing Amputation After Miami-KC Playoff Game

Started by uconnjack8, March 07, 2024, 07:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

It's all fun and games until...

"The brutal January 13 playoff game between the Chiefs and Dolphins at Arrowhead will be remembered forever. The -4 weather, combined with a -27 degree wind chill made it one of the coldest NFL games of all time, and now two months after the game some fans are still feeling the effects — and could for the rest of their lives.

FOX4 in Kansas City reports that a staggering 70 percent of people who had to seek medical assistance for frostbite due to the game are now facing the reality of amputation"

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2024/3/7/24093340/chiefs-dolphins-playoff-fans-amputation-nfl

DaveBrown74

I wonder if the NFL will consider postponing games that are below a certain temperature or RealFeel temperature. Can't have fans losing fingers because they don't want to miss the game they paid for.

uconnjack8

jgrangers2

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 07, 2024, 07:38:23 PMOr at least maybe not play them at night.

This would be the least of it. If you know the weather is going to be like that, play it earlier. Do the people in the stadium even enjoy themselves? You couldn't pay me enough to sit in that weather.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on March 07, 2024, 07:50:49 PMThis would be the least of it. If you know the weather is going to be like that, play it earlier. Do the people in the stadium even enjoy themselves? You couldn't pay me enough to sit in that weather.

Me either, but for many people in this country football is pretty much a religion.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 07, 2024, 08:20:15 PMMe either, but for many people in this country football is pretty much a religion.

True, but most religions which require their followers to endure pain, up to and including self masochist acts resulting in dismemberment of parts of one person, are far more resembling cults than religion.

If you ever attend a game where the weather is this extreme, for heaven's sake prepare accordingly!!! Understand the signs of cold weather injuries and the appropriate actions to take if you find yourself exhibiting the symptoms.  Know how to dress properly. Take in the right amount of calories for energy. Do NOT drink alcohol!!! Dress in layers to insulate your body.

Bottom line, be smart before going to a game that cold!!! If we polled the folks who suffered cold weather injuries during that game, and asked them how they prepared, what do you think their responses will be?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

spiderblue43

Peacock and the NFL couldn't flip the script and play the game earlier or simply reschedule? Hmmm.  :$$$$$$??

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kartanoman on March 07, 2024, 10:50:25 PMTrue, but most religions which require their followers to endure pain, up to and including self masochist acts resulting in dismemberment of parts of one person, are far more resembling cults than religion.

If you ever attend a game where the weather is this extreme, for heaven's sake prepare accordingly!!! Understand the signs of cold weather injuries and the appropriate actions to take if you find yourself exhibiting the symptoms.  Know how to dress properly. Take in the right amount of calories for energy. Do NOT drink alcohol!!! Dress in layers to insulate your body.

Bottom line, be smart before going to a game that cold!!! If we polled the folks who suffered cold weather injuries during that game, and asked them how they prepared, what do you think their responses will be?

Peace!

Yup. When I said "religion", I kind of meant it more in the cult sense.

I think people bundled up but that was just weather where you simply shouldn't be outside for an appreciable amount of time.

MightyGiants

QuoteVia ESPN.com, the hospital said in a statement that it treated "dozens" for frostbite from January's extreme cold spell. Twelve, including some who attended the playoff game, have undergone amputations of "mostly fingers and toes."

The statement indicates that more amputations are expected in the next 2-4 weeks as "injuries evolve."

As the game approached and the forecast turned colder and colder, the NFL said that it has no temperature that it regards as too cold for playing a game. Maybe, given Friday's news, it should.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/amputations-have-occurred-for-some-who-attended-dolphins-chiefs-game
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Generally over the course of a weekend there is some time that will be a little warmer in these situations and the NFL could play these games at that point rather than at night when the temperature drops.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 08, 2024, 04:29:57 PMYup. When I said "religion", I kind of meant it more in the cult sense.

I think people bundled up but that was just weather where you simply shouldn't be outside for an appreciable amount of time.

We're on the same sheet of music. Extreme cold weather is nothing to mess around with, and I don't lack sympathy for those who experienced cold weather injuries during that game. If the article was to to push the narrative what loyal fans will go to, then we are both correct in that the NFL, and Goodell as its head, and he and his henchmen, disguised in football helmets (NOTE: thinking back to that song in the late 80s, "Cult of Personality") couldn't care less how many extremities were lying in the stands after the game. The janitor sweeps them up, just like the popcorn (NOTE: instead of "get your popcorn ready," it becomes "get ready for your popcorn," dare I suggest?). But I'm deeply digressing down a dark hole where I'm starting to see "ny" helmets so let me refocus.

I wanted to share that my company does outdoor work in Alaska, 365 days a year, and when I was on that program a couple of decades ago, I was responsible for providing Cold Weather Orientation and Survival training to the operators and maintenence crews deploying to our work area out there. They were folks who would be subjected to extreme temperatures down to -50 degrees. I cannot stress enough that being educated in how to work in a partnering environment with teammates accounting for each other, having the proper gear, set working time limits before changing shifts and how to survive if you break away from your team.

The NFL's safety councils strive to make the game safer for the players. That also includes cold weather safety for everyone on both teams participating. As for fans, the NFL isn't liable for cold weather injuries incurred in their stadia during game day. So it is critical to be smart and educate one-self.

My question I posed previously still stands and I'll take it a step further. How many of those fans were NOT from Heartland USA?

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

GloryDays

How many amputations are we talking about?
How come this sad news is not talked about in the media?!