News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT - NE Trading Mac Jones

Started by uconnjack8, March 10, 2024, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Heard this on NFL Radio.  Mac Jones to the Jaguars for a 6th round pick.

If there was any doubt about the Patriots drafting a QB, this should remove it.

DaveBrown74

Agreed. Pats were always taking a QB, but this locks it in.

I tend to not buy the reports that McCarthy could overtake Maye as the third QB off the board, but what do I know. We'll see. But clearly the Pats are drafting a QB. This was obvious before this transaction but now any shreds of doubt are 100% removed.

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jclayton92

I would have taken Mac for a 6th as a backup.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 01:01:22 PMI would have taken Mac for a 6th as a backup.

Why give up any draft picks when we can just sign a free agent type?

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 01:01:22 PMI would have taken Mac for a 6th as a backup.
He's more broken than DJ. Jones negative 2.0.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

nb587

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 10, 2024, 11:45:26 AMHeard this on NFL Radio.  Mac Jones to the Jaguars for a 6th round pick.

If there was any doubt about the Patriots drafting a QB, this should remove it.
I think there was 100% certainty that Jones was not returning and this does had no effect on anything NE does going forward.  A bigger factor is the status of a veteran QB they may want like Mayfield or even Wilson.  Of the 3 QBs projected to go early, at least 1 should be a bust.  They may see the one available at 3 to be a bust and Harrison would be a great prize

spiderblue43

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 10, 2024, 11:47:43 AMAgreed. Pats were always taking a QB, but this locks it in.

I tend to not buy the reports that McCarthy could overtake Maye as the third QB off the board, but what do I know. We'll see. But clearly the Pats are drafting a QB. This was obvious before this transaction but now any shreds of doubt are 100% removed.

Wow. That would be incredible (JJ 3rd).
Still have trouble with him in the top   But in that scenario,  who knows what happens.  Still figure Maye will be their guy.

katkavage

After Williams it will be interesting to see the order of QBs. Will McCarthy move into the top three? Will Arizona or the Chargers trade their pick for a team hungry for a QB, including the Giants?

Fletch

Kinda strange. My understanding is that Bill Bellichek did not want him but, front office amd team owner did. And maybe to spite them, Bill Bellichek kept playing him, when it was so obvious he needed to be benched. That would explain a lot actually if all that is true. What makes little to bo sense would be if they fired Bill but also traded Mac.

He had a really good rookie year making the pro bowl right, then just fell off a cliff....strange :surprise:

Philosophers

No mention in sports outlets yet

uconnjack8

Jclayton92

Baker Mayfield also got a 3yr 100mil dollar deal today

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 10, 2024, 09:39:29 PMBaker Mayfield also got a 3yr 100mil dollar deal today

The Mayfield deal shows how much the Giants overpaid for Jones. We're a year later, with a much higher cap, and Mayfield, who had a better season than Jones' 2022 and won a playoff game against a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before, is getting comfortably less than Jones on both an AAV basis and (especially) a guarantee basis.

The Bucs showed some degree of restraint with this contract and paid Mayfield a realistic, market-appropriate sum. The Giants got taken to the cleaners.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 10, 2024, 09:48:01 PMThe Mayfield deal shows how much the Giants overpaid for Jones. We're a year later, with a much higher cap, and Mayfield, who had a better season than Jones' 2022 and won a playoff game against a team that was in the Super Bowl the year before, is getting comfortably less than Jones on both an AAV basis and (especially) a guarantee basis.

The Bucs showed some degree of restraint with this contract and paid Mayfield a realistic, market-appropriate sum. The Giants got taken to the cleaners.
That's what a degree from Duke gets you.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin