News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

On a scale of one to five (5 being best) rate the NYG's draft

Started by MightyGiants, April 27, 2024, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rate the Giants draft

drewsg

Honestly. This draft was very unsexy, but solid draft. It is the equivalent of picking an OL in the first round. Not flashy, but lays the foundation for the franchise. I would've loved Drake Maye, but were we really ready to part ways with 2-3 future first-round draft picks with a roster with so many holes?

I give the draft a B+

GloryDays

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 27, 2024, 06:28:33 PMOur starting OL in week 1 will likely be Thomas, Eleumanor, JMS, Runyan, Neal barring injury.

Do you notice right there why some of us are upset about not addressing the Oline weakness in this draft?
O line is like a chain.. one weak link and it breaks. Neal was a turnstile last year.. they messed up with that high pick... they knew it and still stuck their head in the Staten Island sand and depended on his off season training to have fixed him. We know what happened ( and I lost my $5000+ wager)
, so what about this year?
Who is the solid back up at OC behind Schmitz? Bredeson is not here any longer to come in when / if Schmitz goes down.
To me this is failing at your job.

PSUBeirut

I rated it very good- looks like we matched needs with value picks where we got them and potentially have a superstar WR, which is quickly becoming another essential piece to an NFL offense.

I may have rated it higher if Schoen had been a little more aggressive in moving up to get some of the higher ranked CBs, but he didn't have much capital to work with.

LennG

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 27, 2024, 06:28:33 PMDid you want the Giants to draft a QB at 6 that they didn't fully believe in? If not, them not taking a QB was  kind of our of their hands. As for O-line, it was our heaviest investment in FA and that's without considering that we got a new OL coach. Our starting OL in week 1 will likely be Thomas, Eleumanor, JMS, Runyan, Neal barring injury.

The defensive secondary was far more of a pressing need. We probably needed DL help more than OL help so if they ignored anything, it was there.

Do you really believe this OL is solid? And not even using a lower-round pick for some stability in case someone goes down. YOu draft maybe the best WR in the draft, and you give him to a QB who can't stand long enough to look downfield and you think this is not a pressing need? OK, we differ on that.
Same as drafting Barkley and now having an OL that can open a hole for him. Not one pick for this OL. Lunacy.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimc on April 27, 2024, 05:18:35 PMJust a question here. What would have had to happen to make it outstanding?

It's all subjective obviously. Anyone can call a draft outstanding the day after it ends but that can prove totally untrue down the road, and vice-versa. Given how the Giants have drafted for the past decade, I don't think I would hand them an "outstanding" grade the day after the draft under almost any circumstances. They are going to need to prove it to me with these guys panning out on the field before I start trusting them to that degree. There have just been too many drafts in recent years that have woefully disappointed.

I guess if they had found a way to get a trade done to get Drake Maye, and I didn't think it was so absurd that I was opposed to it on that basis, I might have given them an "outstanding" provided I didn't hate any of the other picks. I happen to be very high on Maye's ceiling and would have been willing to take the gamble on him if it were possible. Apart from that I don't think I would have considered it.

Ed Vette

They drafted good players to build the depth of the team. It doesn't matter if I disagree that they passed on three possible franchise QB's. They drafted well. It remains the same be seen if these players work out to their draft position. It remains to be seen if the FA acquisitions will improve the protection and support and elevate Jones to perform to his salary and expectations. It remains to be seen if Barkley can be easily replaced.

The question is about grading who they drafted. I give them a 4.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

Awesome draft...filled needs with great picks.....all picks were of same competitive mode .....hard nose players .
Awesome very pleased with draft
4.8.   No one is perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brooklyn Dave

I thought it was a draft for need . The Giants have too many hole to draft the best player available . That said I would say it was a very good draft . My only comment is that instead of drafing Tracy in the 5th round , we should have drafted Platt Rattler or Travis . Maybe Travis was taken by the Jets in the 4th round and would not have been available .

jimc

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 27, 2024, 08:13:49 PMIt's all subjective obviously. Anyone can call a draft outstanding the day after it ends but that can prove totally untrue down the road, and vice-versa. Given how the Giants have drafted for the past decade, I don't think I would hand them an "outstanding" grade the day after the draft under almost any circumstances. They are going to need to prove it to me with these guys panning out on the field before I start trusting them to that degree. There have just been too many drafts in recent years that have woefully disappointed.

I guess if they had found a way to get a trade done to get Drake Maye, and I didn't think it was so absurd that I was opposed to it on that basis, I might have given them an "outstanding" provided I didn't hate any of the other picks. I happen to be very high on Maye's ceiling and would have been willing to take the gamble on him if it were possible. Apart from that I don't think I would have considered it.

Thanks for your explanation. I think grading the draft is subjective and kinda silly. If the FO thinks they addressed some of their needs, then they did good. And, I think they feel they did good.
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

londonblue

I went average 3 as the QB Elephant remains in the room but I think the picks are sound with Andru Phillips my only doubt (DBs with rocks for hands always frustrate no matter how well they play overall).

The early UDFA and Rookie Camp tryout reports do not feature any of the 'bigger'names who slid out of the draft but include a couple of DII and III guys suggesting Schoen now has more comfort with the overall scouting set up than in his first year. I think that might also be reflected with our day 3 draft where we have chosen guys more for what we think they can do used properly than what they have done so far in R4 and 5.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

sjones71

They played the board the best they could and seem to have gone with need/value. The Devito wins put us in a spot where getting a franchise-changing QB wasn't possible. Given that, they seem to have grabbed the best players available who also met a need. Truth is that there is need at just about every spot even if just for depth. A solid draft with no overthinking. Calmly took what was there and it at least feels like the scouting, pre draft process is run by grownups.

MightyGiants

Quote from: sjones71 on April 28, 2024, 07:46:46 AMThey played the board the best they could and seem to have gone with need/value. The Devito wins put us in a spot where getting a franchise-changing QB wasn't possible. Given that, they seem to have grabbed the best players available who also met a need. Truth is that there is need at just about every spot even if just for depth. A solid draft with no overthinking. Calmly took what was there and it at least feels like the scouting, pre draft process is run by grownups.

That's a fair point; there were more needs than picks.   Adding talent is the highest priority in a draft, and it seems the Giants did that
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I noticed two themes in the players taken

On the offensive side of the ball they looked for speed

On the defensive side of the ball they looked for smart players
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TONKA56

Quote from: Just_jimmy on April 27, 2024, 05:06:51 PM1.

Didn't get a franchise QB.  Can't win without one.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Do you think that McCarthy was that guy?

Uncle Mickey

Home run draft would have been getting Maye. Scared money don't make money as Schoen said.

Short of that , we are reduced to crossing my fingers on DJ but I could see him blossom with Nabers and a competently coached OL too.

I give it a 4. Lots of system fits with smart, tough and dependable players.