News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mojo’s Camp Notes 2018

Started by MightyGiants, July 20, 2018, 05:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Echunks

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 30, 2018, 07:02:43 PM
The amount of fans that showed up today was absolutely incredible. They had to double the line and people were still coming in 45 minutes after practice started. This thing really has taken off.

Rich made a good point that these are not the hard core fans of Albany. Mostly families with kids 12 and under looking to get autographs.

They totally mismanaged this thing with the fans. They should be embarrassed.

How so Ed?  Heading to practice next Monday for Season Ticket Holder Day.  Anything I need to be aware of, look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Be prepared to get there 90 minutes early and wait in the hot sun until they open the gate an hour before practice. Thousands of people go through two body scanners. Then people without tickets can fill out a paper form and walk right in another gate and cut the line. The people with kids have to get on another line and get wristbands after they get in to get on another line for autographs at the end of practice. The line for Ahmad Bradshaw was halfway across the compound. Then people who come in late walking up and down the aisles looking for a seat. Brandon London walks the stands to get the crowd pumped up to cheer and is an annoying distraction to the field of play. Enjoy!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Maybe the Season Ticket Holder day will have much less people. After all they don
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

tmanic21

Cool commentary. Thanks for posting, very helpful.
Quote from: MightyGiants on July 30, 2018, 04:58:56 PM
First, let me tell you that 5 days in a row is too much.   I can't imagine how the players are holding up (Might explain the 2 fights today)

It was overcast and rather comfortable.

I know I posted an article about Webb looking good and I know Pat Traina is high on Webb.  Heck, I was cautiously optimistic about Webb.   That all said, I am not seeing it.   Webb misses by just a little on many of his passes.   That troubles me.     

On the plus side, I think Eli is looking better.   

The guy who has looked pretty impressive has been Lauletta.   Ed has noted that he has really nice footwork.   I think he has a good pocket presence and he has made a fair number of good plays.

One of the fights was caused by OV picking up Gallman on a running play and sort of dumping him on the ground.   Gallman didn't appreciate that and a scrum ensued. 

It looked like Latimore tweaked a quad.   He was being stretched by the training staff and then didn't participate much after that.

I saw Barkley bounce a run outside.   While you don't want him doing that often, it will produce big runs if used judiciously.

Edit to add:  Believe it or not, they had the WRs running a one-handed catch drill

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Football Analyst
@tmanic21 (twitter)
NY Giants Writer
www.cover1.net

Echunks

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 30, 2018, 10:50:22 PM
Maybe the Season Ticket Holder day will have much less people. After all they don

President Rick

we miss the Albany camp scene.  for us, an eight hour drive for that which you describe is an awful lot, even for a life-long Giants fan.  .
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Ed Vette

After three or four practices, there comes a point of diminishing returns from the fan's perspective.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Johnny5

I haven't been to camp in NJ, but Albany was perfect.  Sad that they moved it.

On Lauletta, I see him as basically Chad Pennington, a really good QB, smart, moves well but with a mediocre arm. A QB that you absolutely can get fully behind and certainly win with if he stays healthy.   I'll be happy with Webb if he can show he's got it... but I think Eli's successor is on the roster and his name is Kyle... lol.  Just an opinion of course, but there it is.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Johnny5 on July 31, 2018, 12:55:25 PM
I haven't been to camp in NJ, but Albany was perfect.  Sad that they moved it.

On Lauletta, I see him as basically Chad Pennington, a really good QB, smart, moves well but with a mediocre arm. A QB that you absolutely can get fully behind and certainly win with if he stays healthy.   I'll be happy with Webb if he can show he's got it... but I think Eli's successor is on the roster and his name is Kyle... lol.  Just an opinion of course, but there it is.

The one issues with Lauletta is how long his arms are.   While he is 6' 3", his arms are only 30 5/8" long.   Mechanically the longer arm helps to increase velocity.   While I believe Lauletta can get stronger and improve his grip strength (will happen in the offseason, not during the season) which will improve his arm, I think those shorter arms of his will limit just how much velocity he can get on the ball. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Johnny5

Agree Mighty, I think his velocity is what it is.  But that said, I think he can still be effective, much as Chad Pennington was.  I see them as very similar QBs.

uconnjack8

Quote from: Johnny5 on July 31, 2018, 06:29:08 PM
Agree Mighty, I think his velocity is what it is.  But that said, I think he can still be effective, much as Chad Pennington was.  I see them as very similar QBs.

If he can be as smart as Pennington was, that's a hell of a 4th round pick.

Ed Vette

Today the players were in shells but no hard contact, except for BJ Goodson on a Receiver over the middle but they hugged and made up.

We saw John Jerry getting third team snaps at RT and he did pretty well except on one play. Chad Wheeler was moved to LT second team. I would like to see Jerry moved up to second team RT. Then if he does well there, compete for the starting job.

I know that I
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Nice write-up.  Can't wait for that first game.  Hope it doesn't rain so they can play all-out without fear of getting hurt.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jaime

I'm a fan of Gallman Ed. I think he's going to be the RB that spells Barkley. I think Stewart will sink to the bottom of the depth chart or even get cut? If I recall correctly we signed Stewart before we drafted Barkley? Way too much money for a backup running back. This thought of needing veteran leadership is way overrated.
Has Darian Thompson regained his form? If so, he's right in the mix.
I still roll my eyes at this futile gesture of Engram being described as a TE.
Read a comparison of your boy Lauletta to former Jets QB Chad Pennington.
I'm up for any Plan B at right tackle. Flowers is going to crash and burn and it would behoove us to be ready. Jerry is a good pass blocker. can he drive Block in space, dhat's dah rub Ed?
Saw that nuisance guy u spoke of Brandon London on Giants Camp report. He needs to go! :boooo:

bamagiantfan

Thanks Ed. Great right up and thanks for giving me some news about the TEs and how they are being used.

Is Gallman any bigger? He was always a solid back who finished runs well but also always looked like he could add more muscle below the waist. He is a a smaller version of Jonathan Stewart. I'd like to know if he did the off season work in the weight room.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)