News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 20, 2024, 07:53:59 AMDid anyone watch 6 feet under?

I have a friend that used to get together and have watch parties with friends when this show was first aired. She absolutely loved the show. I've never seen it though.

Sem

I finished the first season of the political drama, The Diplomat on Netflix last night. Thoroughly enjoyed this one, and it's easy to see why lead actress Keri Russell was nominated for an Emmy Award.  It also stars Michael McKean (Better Call Saul), as the POTUS, and Rufus Sewell, who I knew I'd seen before but couldn't place him. Had to look him up and then it clicked, (The Man in the High Castle).
Netflix has announced a second season will air later this year. I can't wait. Recommended.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on March 20, 2024, 10:26:15 AMI have a friend that used to get together and have watch parties with friends when this show was first aired. She absolutely loved the show. I've never seen it though.
its interesting and some dark humor or dry humor. I saw two episodes so far.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Call me a freak if you want, but every now and then I like to watch a rom-com. Need a break from killing, nudity, and car stunts every now and then. So last night I watched "Irish Wish" (Lindsay Lohan) - be careful what you wish for... and "Holiday in the Wild" (Rob Lowe & Kristin Davis) - a couple with a teenage son going off to college, and they have tickets to Africa for their second honeymoon, only for the wife to be told her husband is leaving her two days before takeoff, so off to Africa on her own. Both on Netflix

Cute movies...good to watch with your wife or girlfriend. I've been pretty down on Lindsay Lohan lately, but she seems to have all her baggage left behind her and she is a good actress in rom-coms

Which brings me to a question that one of you guys might answer: In the past, female thespians were known as "actresses" and males, "actors"...yet for the last year or so, it seems the term "actress" is no longer used. Is it because of the woke culture that doesn't wish to identify gender in acting??? Just wondering if I'm the only one who notices it  :-??
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Sem

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 20, 2024, 01:47:38 PMCall me a freak if you want, but every now and then I like to watch a rom-com. Need a break from killing, nudity, and car stunts every now and then. So last night I watched "Irish Wish" (Lindsay Lohan) - be careful what you wish for... and "Holiday in the Wild" (Rob Lowe & Kristin Davis) - a couple with a teenage son going off to college, and they have tickets to Africa for their second honeymoon, only for the wife to be told her husband is leaving her two days before takeoff, so off to Africa on her own. Both on Netflix

Cute movies...good to watch with your wife or girlfriend. I've been pretty down on Lindsay Lohan lately, but she seems to have all her baggage left behind her and she is a good actress in rom-coms

Which brings me to a question that one of you guys might answer: In the past, female thespians were known as "actresses" and males, "actors"...yet for the last year or so, it seems the term "actress" is no longer used. Is it because of the woke culture that doesn't wish to identify gender in acting??? Just wondering if I'm the only one who notices it  :-??

I haven't noticed, Ric. But then again I can be pretty slow on the up-take.

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 20, 2024, 01:28:24 PMits interesting and some dark humor or dry humor. I saw two episodes so far.
That's a series I should probably check out sometime. My bro-in-law and sis-in-law drove up from Santa Barbara today and SIL gave me a couple recommendations - The Righteous Gemstones and Jury Duty. Her recs are typically pretty spot on with what I would enjoy, so I'll probably give them a go.

GordonGekko80

I am finishing "The Dynasty: New England Patriots"

Bill doesn't get away too well from that...

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on March 20, 2024, 08:36:39 PMI haven't noticed, Ric. But then again I can be pretty slow on the up-take.

It appears to be all about the culture of "woke". I had to Google it...here's what I got:

"...Regardless of the role or who's playing it, the correct term is "actor." Retiring the use of "actress" promotes equality, signifying that men, women, and gender-nonconforming individuals can all pursue the same art.  Also, according to the Los Angeles Times, "it carries an unnecessary frilly air, suggesting a subsidiary relationship to man's work,...blah, blah, blah" "

So Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lopez, Audrey Hepburn, et al, are NOT actresses, but "actors" now. I'll just call them "thespians" I guess  :-??

Another word being retired is "widow" and "widower", which used to stand for a person who has lost their spouse, the survivor being either male or female. Both are retired and the "proper" term now is to use the word, "widowed"

Confusing for older people like me who have done a lot of writing for the past 50 years and haven't stepped on campus as a student in decades and subconsciously see males and females as males and females in my everyday life. I'm getting old  :( 

Jolly Blue Giant

I haven't watched this movie yet, because it was only dropped on Prime today. It's a remake of "Road House", made famous years ago by Patrick Swayze. I don't know how they can improve on it, but I'm watching it tonight. The venue looks more exciting, being in the Florida Keys and boat action

Sem

Last night I was looking for something really light to watch. Bingo! I stumbled on The Detectorists, a mildly funny, quirky British comedy about... "the lives of two eccentric metal detectorists, who spend their days plodding along ploughed tracks and open fields, hoping to disturb the tedium by unearthing the fortune of a lifetime."

Exactly the type of show that would never even be considered for a run on US TV, which is perfect for me and right up my alley. Pluto, Tubi, and Freevee all have the first 3 seasons available.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4082744/

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Sem on March 20, 2024, 10:26:15 AMI have a friend that used to get together and have watch parties with friends when this show was first aired. She absolutely loved the show. I've never seen it though.

I have watched the whole series. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's definitely dark, and there are more than a small number of somewhat disturbing scenes (and entire episodes), but the quality of acting is excellent and the plot development is strong throughout the series. Some of the characters are quite complex personalities, and the actors are all up to the challenge.

I will say though - if I were to watch the whole thing again, there are a handful of scenes I would just fast-forward right through and not want to watch again. I'll just leave it at that.

LennG

We were away for this past week but were able to watch a couple of what one would say, "Light Movies"

'Ticket To Paradise' with Julia Roberts and George Clooney. Just a light, a very predictable movie about 2 divorced parents who sort of hate each other and their daughter who just graduated law school and decides to take a vacation to Fiji. There she meets some one and wants to stay there. So both parents rush to Fiji to sort of persuade her to return to the USA. As I said very predictable movie but enjoyable as the two stars must have had a ball making this movie and it shows in their rapport. I enjoyed it.

' Somewhere in Queens'  is the other movie starring Ray Romano (Everyone Loves Raymond). It is another 'cute' movie but a bit more biting, involving the relationship of an Italian Family, Romano, his
wife and son. I really enjoy Romano and this part was a bit different for him, but he was good and a nice story. I enjoyed this movie as well.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Today I started watching 'The Wire'. I watched season 1 many years ago but never got to the remaining seasons and I have regretted it ever since. It has been on my bucket list of shows as much see TV and now I am getting to it. Because of a miserable rainy day, I watched the first 6 episodes of season 1 again and I am ready for more. So far, just a terrific watch.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So it's more movies.

"The Holdovers' an Academy Award nominee for Best Picture starring the great Paul Giamatti. I was looking forward to when this movie would start streaming and it became available a few days before the Oscars. We watched it a few days after that and I loved it. It is sort of a comedy-drama with a great story, a fantastic performance by Mr. Giamatti, and just a great watch all around.
Quickly, Mr. Giamatti is an old, stuffed shirt of a teacher at a boy's academy. It is Christmas break and several of the students have nowhere to go so they are to stay at the academy. Mr. Giammati is alone with also nowhere to go so he takes on the task of watching over these boys for the 2-week break. The story is about his relationship with one boy in particular and we got into the premises right away and the movie just flowed with comedy and heart-tugging scenes. I would heartily recommend this movie. No killing, no sex, but an enjoyable watch.

The next movie we watched last night. " Moving On" is another movie myself and my wife have been meaning to watch for some time and we finally did. Movie stars two of the greats, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. We liked this movie a lot, maybe because of the great chemistry between the two lady stars as they really seemed to get along perfectly.
Quickly, both ladies are widows and when a close friend dies they go to the funeral. Ms. Fonda has a grudge against the deceased friend's husband and wants to kill him. Ms. Tomlin is sort of a free spirit but after circumstances wants to join Ms. Fonda in doing away with said husband. Remember this is a comedy so some of the things that happen are very funny with a few sort of drama points thrown in. Just watching these two greats of the screen and of comedy, was a thrill, as both are nearing the point of not doing many more movies. If you want some light entertainment this would be a good watch. I would recommend it.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Quote from: LennG on March 24, 2024, 06:50:54 PMSo it's more movies.

"The Holdovers' an Academy Award nominee for Best Picture starring the great Paul Giamatti. I was looking forward to when this movie would start streaming and it became available a few days before the Oscars. We watched it a few days after that and I loved it. It is sort of a comedy-drama with a great story, a fantastic performance by Mr. Giamatti, and just a great watch all around.
Quickly, Mr. Giamatti is an old, stuffed shirt of a teacher at a boy's academy. It is Christmas break and several of the students have nowhere to go so they are to stay at the academy. Mr. Giammati is alone with also nowhere to go so he takes on the task of watching over these boys for the 2-week break. The story is about his relationship with one boy in particular and we got into the premises right away and the movie just flowed with comedy and heart-tugging scenes. I would heartily recommend this movie. No killing, no sex, but an enjoyable watch.

The next movie we watched last night. " Moving On" is another movie myself and my wife have been meaning to watch for some time and we finally did. Movie stars two of the greats, Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin. We liked this movie a lot, maybe because of the great chemistry between the two lady stars as they really seemed to get along perfectly.
Quickly, both ladies are widows and when a close friend dies they go to the funeral. Ms. Fonda has a grudge against the deceased friend's husband and wants to kill him. Ms. Tomlin is sort of a free spirit but after circumstances wants to join Ms. Fonda in doing away with said husband. Remember this is a comedy so some of the things that happen are very funny with a few sort of drama points thrown in. Just watching these two greats of the screen and of comedy, was a thrill, as both are nearing the point of not doing many more movies. If you want some light entertainment this would be a good watch. I would recommend it.

I agree with you about "The Holdovers"  I thought it was very good.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."