News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the Daniel Jones Era Over?

Started by brownelvis54, October 14, 2023, 03:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

There's plenty of blame to go around. Of course the oline, but there are times when DJ has time and he ball pats. He refuses to throw up a 50/50 ball. No audible at the line, "kill kill" nope we just run the f*ckin play like robots. We never take shots down field. Hell we dont even throw to the sticks. Its 3rd and 8 , 4 yard checkdown like wtf. Thats just some of the problems on just offense.Also they switch the offensive lineman too quickly they on the feeling to get off the pill right away what the hell is that I wont get into how the defense goes out there and gets bent over.

Whatever happens, this organization did Jones no favors, I done expect much with Taylor under center either. long road ahead (again) :banghead:

The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

Not yet, because even if they draft a QB I think Jones will be on the team next year. I just don't see how they're going to be able to move him with that albatross of a 2024 cap hit. And if they do draft a QB, I think they'll likely still play Jones in week one and allow him to remain the starter until either he performs poorly or the team loses consistently (or both).

brownelvis54

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 03:35:28 PMNot yet, because even if they draft a QB I think Jones will be on the team next year. I just don't see how they're going to be able to move him with that albatross of a 2024 cap hit. And if they do draft a QB, I think they'll likely still play Jones in week one and allow him to remain the starter until either he performs poorly or the team loses consistently (or both).

I tend to agree with you. I am late to the HBO Jets show, but watching it last night and listening to Rodgers and listening to Zack Wilson.....its like night and day. Rodgers is impressive on how much he knows. He understands all the plays he is in a different world. You can see it. He no look passes. Before the snap he already sees openings and bad match ups. He can expose them at will. Wilson comes off as a smart ass and dosent see the same things Rodgers does. Jones is certainly not an ass, he is polite and well thought out, but just because he is a nice guy....dosent mean he has "it". I was in the Jones camp for a long time, but like in the video...there are times guys are open and for what ever reason he doent seem to see it

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 14, 2023, 03:35:28 PMNot yet, because even if they draft a QB I think Jones will be on the team next year. I just don't see how they're going to be able to move him with that albatross of a 2024 cap hit. And if they do draft a QB, I think they'll likely still play Jones in week one and allow him to remain the starter until either he performs poorly or the team loses consistently (or both).

I think the Jones Era is over as people slowly finally realize who he is as quarterback and though he might be on the team until June 1st 2025 I think it's TBD on who's ERA it is next.

True Blue

It is definitely over as we know it, who it is next we will likely find out in April

StompYouOT

I hope so.  Draft a QB and likely Jones is still the starter next fall because of that contract.  But I think they can get out of it in 2025.  IF they make the right moves in the offseason who knows, maybe Jones plays decently enough in early 2024 that he has some trade value.

Trench

Tomorrow night will perhaps tell us a lot in regards to the answer to your question

brownelvis54

Quote from: Trench on October 14, 2023, 06:27:03 PMTomorrow night will perhaps tell us a lot in regards to the answer to your question

I tend to disagree with you a bit. I don't think Tyrod Taylor is going to be very successful at all in fact, pretty much the same results as we have now. Tyrod is 34 years old.... And if he has a crappy game, we don't know if it's because of the old line or is it perhaps his age? I do believe they're going to target down filled a lot more, but I also think that's gonna result in turnovers via interceptions.

brownelvis54

How much are you guys willing to bet that we see Tommy DeVito at some point in the game?

Jaime

I'm pushing all my chips into the middle of the the table =))
Would luv to see Tommy D. slinging some leather.

Giant Obsession

This organization has lived in a box I call "The Wilderness, Part 2".

It is time to recommit to this rebuild and forget the mirage of last year.  No more Darren Wallers, no more overpaying for one year wonders.

Let's go outside the box tomorrow.  Have 10 plays practiced ad nauseum with Mr. DeVito as our QB for a couple of series if we are serious about having him on our roster.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

katkavage

Quote from: Giant Obsession on October 15, 2023, 01:06:22 AMThis organization has lived in a box I call "The Wilderness, Part 2".

It is time to recommit to this rebuild and forget the mirage of last year.  No more Darren Wallers, no more overpaying for one year wonders.

Let's go outside the box tomorrow.  Have 10 plays practiced ad nauseum with Mr. DeVito as our QB for a couple of series if we are serious about having him on our roster.
I've said this this past two "rebuilds." You have to tear it down in order to rebuild. The Giants have been blind to this fact for too long.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on October 15, 2023, 07:32:38 AMI've said this this past two "rebuilds." You have to tear it down in order to rebuild. The Giants have been blind to this fact for too long.

The previous GM said "win while we rebuild" and the current one has said "compete while we build." I tend to agree that there is an unwillingness in this franchise to fully own how bad and untalented it is, and that has been a big part of the problem.

We have literally only three genuinely above average, proven players on this team: Barkley, Thomas, and Dex. Everyone else is either middling at best or unproven (mostly the former). The fanbase gets too ecstatic about players like Bellinger, who are respectable players but not in any way franchise-changing.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 08:03:55 AMThe previous GM said "win while we rebuild" and the current one has said "compete while we build." I tend to agree that there is an unwillingness in this franchise to fully own how bad and untalented it is, and that has been a big part of the problem.

We have literally only three genuinely above average, proven players on this team: Barkley, Thomas, and Dex. Everyone else is either middling at best or unproven (mostly the former). The fanbase gets too ecstatic about players like Bellinger, who are respectable players but not in any way franchise-changing.
The comments from both GM'S around win/Compete while rebuild, comes directly from John Mara who is the reason why we can never execute a full culture and talent shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

EDjohnst1981

I think it's over for now concerning the  discussion that "we've locked up our franchise QB for the foreseeable feature".

The injury, whilst not his fault, is concerning and questions have to be asked as to whether he is "dependable". This is the 4th year out of 5 he will have missed time.

A lot of people got drunk on beating down the Colts, Washington and the Vikes last year. Now, we are saying "oh, look at the defences he's played". Fair enough, but that's a two way street - there is very little acknowledgement he put numbers up against poor defences.

I also think a lot were drinking the kool aid of a 9 play drive in the pre season. Those same players that excelled in that drive are doing diddly squat this year.

Jones in someways a victim of circumstance. He's never been consistently elite and there's a lot of fan fare around pumping him up (see the preseason) which makes the fall from grace ever so more stark and people even more critical.

I didn't want to sign him long term but once he was signed, I wanted nothing more than him to succeed. But alongside everyone else on the offense, he's been mostly dreadful. I'm very disappointed in how this has played out.

Of course there is time to right the ship but I think in year 5, Jones is out of excuses around supporting casts, lines, coaching etc. He has to start making some plays - regardless of how difficult that is.

So yes, I think it's over for now.