News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the Daniel Jones Era Over?

Started by brownelvis54, October 14, 2023, 03:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 15, 2023, 09:17:57 AMI think it's over for now concern the  discussion that "we've locked up our franchise QB for the foreseeable feature".

The injury, whilst not his fault, is concerning and questions have to be asked as to whether he is "dependable". This is the 4th year out of 5 he will have missed time.

A lot of people got drunk on beating down the Colts, Washington and the Vikes last year. Now, we are saying "oh, look at the defences he's played". Fair enough, but that's a two way street - there is very little acknowledgement he put numbers up against poor defences.

I also think a lot were drinking the kool aid of a 9 play drive in the pre season. Those same players that excelled in that drive are doing diddly squat this year.

Jones in someways a victim of circumstance. He's never been consistently elite and there's a lot of fan fare around pumping him up (see the preseason) which makes the fall from grace ever so more stark and people even more critical.

I didn't want to sign him long term but once he was signed, I wanted nothing more than him to succeed. But alongside everyone else on the offense, he's been mostly dreadful. I'm very disappointed in how this has played out.

Of course there is time to right the ship but I think in year 5, Jones is out of excuses around supporting casts, lines, coaching etc. He has to start making some plays - regardless of how difficult that is.

So yes, I think it's over for now.

Nice post thank you

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on October 15, 2023, 09:17:57 AMA lot of people got drunk on beating down the Colts, Washington and the Vikes last year. Now, we are saying "oh, look at the defences he's played". Fair enough, but that's a two way street - there is very little acknowledgement he put numbers up against poor defences.

Excellent point, Ed. While Jones' numbers this year are not fairly representative of his actual ability (they are basically as bad as any starter's in the league), last year was a year of facing soft defenses and having a training wheels type offense. So people may have gotten overly exuberant on him.

At the end of the day, there is simply no firm evidence or data that points to Jones being materially better than average. His big supporters are dealing primarily in speculation, hope, and excuses. There is no actual convincing data to support the view that he is top 10, and we are now in year five of his career. I have a hard time believing Schoen is going to be willing to stake his career on Dave Gettleman's guy at this point. He left himself a two year out for a reason. I think we're taking a QB in the upcoming draft.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 15, 2023, 11:59:51 AMExcellent point, Ed. While Jones' numbers this year are not fairly representative of his actual ability (they are basically as bad as any starter's in the league), last year was a year of facing soft defenses and having a training wheels type offense. So people may have gotten overly exuberant on him.

At the end of the day, there is simply no firm evidence or data that points to Jones being materially better than average. His big supporters are dealing primarily in speculation, hope, and excuses. There is no actual convincing data to support the view that he is top 10, and we are now in year five of his career. I have a hard time believing Schoen is going to be willing to stake his career on Dave Gettleman's guy at this point. He left himself a two year out for a reason. I think we're taking a QB in the upcoming draft.

Spot on the money here.

brownelvis54

This O line is going to end this young man's career. Daniel Jones will never be a great QB but I have always thought you could win with him if you have an O line that could protect him. People don't realize how much this O line sucking ass affects his decision making and willingness to hang in there. You can get hit just so many times before you start feeling pressured when there isn't much or you don't see the field because you get rid of the ball ASAP or get happy feet as they say. He has to take some of the blame of course like holding the ball too long and not seeing guys open. Not having Saquon and Andrew Thomas hurts because what's behind them ain't xxxx and I'll say it again what's behind them ain't xxxx. No running game and an O line that's the worst in football. I've said OL Coach Bobby Johnson needs to be fired because it's not just these guys have no talent. Miscommunication poor technique and footwork are all about coaching. If the Giants can get Caleb Williams or Drake Maye then by all means move on from Jones but if they don't fix this O line whoever the young QB is will have the same problem and could get hurt. Then what?

The KING is in the building

Trench

It's astonishing how they can't recognize stunts. Absolutely astonishing. Coach of that unit needs to go immediately

Painter

I gave my view of the matter in the "Caving for Caleb" thread to wit:

While watching the game last night, I couldn't help but wonder what Overreaction Sunday might have to say about Caleb Williams's performance. What has been posted here so far seems fair and reasonable.

In any case, it is somewhere between unlikely and unimaginable that Williams might be available for picking*, and even so that Daniel Jones-barring disability-will not be the Giants starting QB through at least all of next year even if he disappoints, and very likely through 2025 as well. It's all about guaranteed money, and active and dead cap costs which along with his performance which will determine whether it's for 1 or 2 more years, or he gets an extension before then. <:-P

And when it comes to his performance, there is simply no way at present to separate it from that of his undermanned, undernourished, currently feckless Oline.

* other than as trade bait.

Cheers!