News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Our problems winning games really boils down to

Started by andrew_nyGiants, October 15, 2023, 03:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Blocking and tackling.

With all of the talk of. DJ not living up to expectation, Saquon and Thomas and Ojulari, being injured again , and no deep passing game; (all valid concerns).

In the end, if they did a better job with their fundamental blocking and tackling; they would be in better shape than they are right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Trench

How many offensive TDs do we have? I think that is a major sticking point as well.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 15, 2023, 03:42:49 PMHow many offensive TDs do we have? I think that is a major sticking point as well.
Lack of tackling effects field position and number of opportunities to score.

Lack of blocking directly impacts ability to score.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Jclayton92

Inability to throw the ball beyond 6 yards is a factor as well.

Doc16LT56

This thread is an extreme oversimplification that makes winning in the NFL sound a lot simpler and easier than it actually is. As if other teams will just lay down when you start blocking and tackling. Blocking and tackling don't elevate a team from complete ineptitude to winning. They would in theory elevate a team from ineptitude to competitiveness in a best case scenario. It takes a lot more than just solid blocking and tackling to consistently win in this league. And that will include taking a hard look at the talent level at every position including the QB position.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on October 15, 2023, 03:59:17 PMThis thread is an extreme oversimplification that makes winning in the NFL sound a lot simpler and easier than it actually is. As if other teams will just lay down when you start blocking and tackling. Blocking and tackling don't elevate a team from complete ineptitude to winning. They would in theory elevate a team from ineptitude to competitiveness in a best case scenario. It takes a lot more than just solid blocking and tackling to consistently win in this league. And that will include taking a hard look at the talent level at every position including the QB position.
So are you saying that this teams blocking and tackling have been anywhere near acceptable this season?

Talk about simple views.

Doc16LT56

I am saying this team is completely inept. Improving the blocking and tackling are important steps forward but they don't mean the lack of talent at positions that aren't required to block and tackle aren't major areas of concern in their own right.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on October 15, 2023, 04:11:20 PMI am saying this team is completely inept. Improving the blocking and tackling are important steps forward but they don't mean the lack of talent at positions that aren't required to block and tackle aren't major areas of concern in their own right.
I don't argue that we need more/better talent on the roster, but I don't think anyone could argue that if they made better effort or practiced better technique more consistently when it comes to blocking and tackling, they not only would be more competitive, but may have picked up another win or two as a result.

These are definitely areas in need of improvement if they are going to approach respectability this year.

Trench

Even our K is having a crap season. There is a whole lotta blame to go around.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Trench on October 15, 2023, 05:33:09 PMEven our K is having a crap season. There is a whole lotta blame to go around.
This isn't about assigning blame, it's about the fundamentals of the game.

Why do you think our special teams stink?
Poor blocking and tackling.

Look at the Jets OL today against one of the best defenses in the league. No they're not scoring a ton of points, but they're moving the ball and staying within a score of probably a top 3 team in the league.

Is their OL talent better than ours? I don't think so. But they're executing blocks that help open running lanes and create time for their middling QB.

Even the best football experts will tell you that blocking and tackling are mostly about WANT TO.

How do you think the term "business decision" was born? By players who made the decision they would rather stay out of harms way than make a play.

This is what I'm referring to, and this is what the team needs to have the winning culture with "Smart, tough, dependable" players.

Winners know that the devil is in the detail. We need for the Giants to know that.

umassgrad

Blocking and tackling, I agree but Kevin Zeitler, Will Hernandez would be better guards than what we are throwing out there each week.

Trench

If Wink Martindale was allowed to pick the defense players and they cannot tackle then I don't even have a quality response as to what I wish to say. I'm dumbfounded

Philosophers

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 15, 2023, 03:14:07 PMBlocking and tackling.

With all of the talk of. DJ not living up to expectation, Saquon and Thomas and Ojulari, being injured again , and no deep passing game; (all valid concerns).

In the end, if they did a better job with their fundamental blocking and tackling; they would be in better shape than they are right now.

Blocking and tackling.  Even shorter.