News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should Jones or Tyrod start next week?

Started by Trench, October 15, 2023, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

After showing he can move the ball and go downfield does Tyrod deserve a chance to play next week even if Jones is healthy?

I believe he has earned the right to get another game. He looked much more poised than Jones.

True Blue

I would play Tyrod, see how he does, and give DJ time to make sure the neck is fine and 100%

Jclayton92

The team moral was significantly better with Taylor playing.

Trench

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 16, 2023, 12:11:09 AMThe team moral was significantly better with Taylor playing.

Toomer saying same thing on post game and said "Tyrod gets ball out faster than Jones, not getting sacked ans much and makes everyone on offense calm. Looks like a different brand of football and is more decisive"

Toomer words.

T200

Sorry, but Jones isn't going to make 40 million sitting on the bench unless he's not medically cleared to play.

We're stuck with him for the next two full seasons.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Trench

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 12:27:21 AMSorry, but Jones isn't going to make 40 million sitting on the bench unless he's not medically cleared to play.

Agreed. But if he doesn't perform we WILL have a QB controversy sooner than later

T200

Quote from: Trench on October 16, 2023, 12:29:32 AMAgreed. But if he doesn't perform we WILL have a QB controversy sooner than later
I disagree that there would be a controversy. I give Jones his due when he's earned it and I call him out when he messes up.

Tyrod made a huge blunder at the end of the half just like Jones threw the pick 6 and missed Waller. Jones would not have audibled to a run. Tyrod effed up.

In my view, Tyrod is more seasoned and comfortable operating behind a crappy line than Jones. I don't think that translates to more wins.

True Blue

Yeah no chance DJ sits if he is 100%

I would however make sure he is 100%, given his history. Not one you want to risk as the consequences can be severe

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 12:27:21 AMSorry, but Jones isn't going to make 40 million sitting on the bench unless he's not medically cleared to play.

I agree as far as this year goes, but not next year if they draft a QB in the top 10. They may be stuck with him in 2024 as far as being on the roster, but I don't think they'll feel any compulsion to play him all season next year if they have another option they think may give them a better chance of winning.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 06:53:56 AMI agree as far as this year goes, but not next year if they draft a QB in the top 10. They may be stuck with him in 2024 as far as being on the roster, but I don't think they'll feel any compulsion to play him all season next year if they have another option they think may give them a better chance of winning.
I'm inclined to agree with you but if they draft a QB this offseason, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that Mara will put more than his two cents in about the state of the offensive line, considering his prior statement about having "done everything to ruin this kid." It's nothing we don't already know but his undue influence is not something I welcome nor has it resulted in anything positive.

bamagiantfan

I know we just paid Jones the be the guy, but I want to know by the end of this season if he is THE GUY. Offensive line issues aside, there are some backups in the league and rookie QBs outplaying him right now. If he is healthy, he plays, especially if Kafka is now going to call plays to move the pocket like he did for Taylor.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

DaveBrown74

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 16, 2023, 07:02:30 AMI know we just paid Jones the be the guy, but I want to know by the end of this season if he is THE GUY. Offensive line issues aside, there are some backups in the league and rookie QBs outplaying him right now. If he is healthy, he plays, especially if Kafka is now going to call plays to move the pocket like he did for Taylor.

Agreed.

I think Jones should start if healthy. However, if nothing else, I would say they should be less inclined to ride Jones into the ground in games if he is not effective, and be more open to pulling him if he is not performing. Taylor showed last night that he is capable of playing no worse than Jones has played in the majority of games this year. So if Jones isn't getting it done, I see no reason why they should not give Taylor more opportunities to try to help the team.

B1GBLUE

How much of that had to do with barkley being back in the lineup? i think you have to see what jones looks like with him back in. if tyrod is out there throwing 250 and 3 tds every game then yes. i get it. but i think the "significantly" better talk is a little much. if jones made that mental error at the end of the half (which daboll bears responsibility for taking too much time before calling a timeout with about 35 seconds left), you guys would never EVER forgive him for that. tyrod looks ok, but he's not shell shocked.

kingm56

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 07:10:29 AMHow much of that had to do with barkley being back in the lineup? i think you have to see what jones looks like with him back in. if tyrod is out there throwing 250 and 3 tds every game then yes. i get it. but i think the "significantly" better talk is a little much. if jones made that mental error at the end of the half (which daboll bears responsibility for taking too much time before calling a timeout with about 35 seconds left), you guys would never EVER forgive him for that. tyrod looks ok, but he's not shell shocked.

Didn't we witness that during week 1?

Woody

Quote from: Trench on October 15, 2023, 11:51:37 PMAfter showing he can move the ball and go downfield does Tyrod deserve a chance to play next week even if Jones is healthy?

I believe he has earned the right to get another game. He looked much more poised than Jones.
I agree he looked poised and move the ball well at times.....he has much more experience than Jones at this point.  And I might even want to give him another chance......maybe it will come next week if Jones is not healthy......but don't underestimate the role of a healthy Barkley and what his effect on the offense is ...
If Jones starts next week with Barkley as a running back ...and still stinks it up  ...then give Taylor another shot.....but that won't likely happen with the money invested in Jones....still a business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk