News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should Jones or Tyrod start next week?

Started by Trench, October 15, 2023, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 07:07:10 AMAgreed.

I think Jones should start if healthy. However, if nothing else, I would say they should be less inclined to ride Jones into the ground in games if he is not effective, and be more open to pulling him if he is not performing. Taylor showed last night that he is capable of playing no worse than Jones has played in the majority of games this year. So if Jones isn't getting it done, I see no reason why they should not give Taylor more opportunities to try to help the team.
Help the team how? Win a game or two?

I'm pretty sure Schoen and Daboll know Jones isn't the answer. If next year's crop of QBs is deep, every win garnered moves the Giants away from a top pick.

Plus, if he's getting paid to play, win, lose, or draw, he needs to be out there, unless he's injured.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 07:41:21 AMHelp the team how? Win a game or two?

I'm pretty sure Schoen and Daboll know Jones isn't the answer. If next year's crop of QBs is deep, every win garnered moves the Giants away from a top pick.

Plus, if he's getting paid to play, win, lose, or draw, he needs to be out there, unless he's injured.

I guess I'm just a sports fan who is the view that (in all sports I follow at least) if a player on the field isn't getting it done, I want someone else to get a shot. This idea that Jones should be immune to being pulled no matter what is one I just don't understand. And I don't see how that's good for team morale either. Why should he get a guarantee to be on the field that no other player gets?

I have made the comparison to hockey before, but the Rangers (for those who don't know/care) have a top three goalie in the league. Because he's very good, he rarely gets pulled, but in no way shape or form is he immune to being pulled. If he's simply off one night and is giving up multiple goals he shouldn't be, the coach will sit him down and put the backup in. Even if the game is likely out of reach at that point. It has happened a number of times with him. That's just sports in general to me. Baseball and basketball are no different.

BPFan1

Tyrod's warts will come out the longer he plays. I've seen him play alot of games with Buffalo and he was shown the door for a reason.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 07:55:56 AMI guess I'm just a sports fan who is the view that (in all sports I follow at least) if a player on the field isn't getting it done, I want someone else to get a shot. This idea that Jones should be immune to being pulled no matter what is one I just don't understand. And I don't see how that's good for team morale either. Why should he get a guarantee to be on the field that no other player gets?
It's inherent in the position. He gets paid the most money so he's going to play. Very few QBs get pulled for poor play. You look at Gray. He muffed a punt earlier in the season (Giants recovered) and hasn't seen punt return duty since. Jones's play has been abysmal (along with the entire offense) but he stays in the game, unless he's hurt. Most other teams have a huge drop between the starting QB and the backup. Not so with us. So, in essence, I get your point.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 08:01:17 AMIt's inherent in the position. He gets paid the most money so he's going to play. Very few QBs get pulled for poor play. You look at Gray. He muffed a punt earlier in the season (Giants recovered) and hasn't seen punt return duty since. Jones's play has been abysmal (along with the entire offense) but he stays in the game, unless he's hurt. Most other teams have a huge drop between the starting QB and the backup. Not so with us. So, in essence, I get your point.

I totally hear you. And so far Daboll has not been willing to pull Jones (apart from at the very end of games), so maybe that won't change.

I do think the dynamic will be very different next year though if we have a top 10 drafted rookie QB on the roster. That would mean Jones is basically in a lame duck situation and is only still on the team because they can't get rid of him with that exorbitant cap hit, so I doubt they would wait any longer than they want to to get the rookie in (should the team be in that situation).

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 16, 2023, 08:11:44 AMI totally hear you. And so far Daboll has not been willing to pull Jones (apart from at the very end of games), so maybe that won't change.

I do think the dynamic will be very different next year though if we have a top 10 drafted rookie QB on the roster. That would mean Jones is basically in a lame duck situation and is only still on the team because they can't get rid of him with that exorbitant cap hit, so I doubt they would wait any longer than they want to to get the rookie in (should the team be in that situation).
I only wanted to see Taylor start and play a full game to compare him and Jones. I saw all I needed to see. They are essentially the same player.

I say continue to play Jones. If he can't go, Taylor can come in and do the same with the same odds of winning or losing. The most we gain is composure in the pocket and a willingness to throw downfield. Maybe Jones got a chance to see that he can indeed sling it down the sideline to try and make something happen.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on October 16, 2023, 07:40:01 AMDidn't we witness that during week 1?

Week 1 was an all time a$$ whooping. they grossly overestimated themselves. we looked pretty good week 2 with both of them right?

B1GBLUE

Quote from: BPFan1 on October 16, 2023, 07:57:12 AMTyrod's warts will come out the longer he plays. I've seen him play alot of games with Buffalo and he was shown the door for a reason.

also correct. teams study film. they pick up on tendencies. everyone knows jones. tyrod has barely played the last few years. IIRC, jones looked AMAZING his first game. then people picked up on it. this will happen with tyrod too. the oline finally decided to show up this week. they do that for jones... lets see what happens.

fromthebside

If Jones is not healthy, he should sit.  You do not play around with neck injuries.  Taylor is a competent QB who can run the offense.  Neither one is franchise-worthy, but you have to protect your players at all costs.  Even if they are looking to boot him after next year, you have to protect him from getting severely injured.

BluesCruz

Its not that Jones cannot play faster or with more abandon

He chooses not to

Play TT
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

katkavage

Jones will start if he is healthy no matter what. But there just isn't a significant difference between the two except for salary. So that's it.

Messiah717

Quote from: katkavage on October 16, 2023, 09:30:47 AMJones will start if he is healthy no matter what. But there just isn't a significant difference between the two except for salary. So that's it.

I think that's the point some are missing.  Nobody thinks Tyrod is great.  It's just that you get the same type of play out of both QBs.

T200

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 16, 2023, 09:34:20 AMI think that's the point some are missing.  Nobody thinks Tyrod is great.  It's just that you get the same type of play out of both QBs.
Buy a Kia Optima for $10K or a Hyundai Sonata for $80K.

Ed Vette

If Jones is healthy, he will play.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

True Blue

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 16, 2023, 09:34:20 AMI think that's the point some are missing.  Nobody thinks Tyrod is great.  It's just that you get the same type of play out of both QBs.
Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 09:36:08 AMBuy a Kia Optima for $10K or a Hyundai Sonata for $80K.

Bingo

It's about the money, the players are interchangeable at this point