News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Should Jones or Tyrod start next week?

Started by Trench, October 15, 2023, 11:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

My observations of TT were the following:

1) he felt the pressure better and mived around better than DJ.

2) TT's eyes were focused downfield.  He wanted to make downfield plays.  Much better that way than DJ.

3) Kafka rolled TT more which baffles me as I have been pleasing for him to do that with DJ.

4) TT threw some accurate passes that should have been caught but missed some easy throws.

Conclusion:  play TT.  He's more willing to seek out deeper throws.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on October 16, 2023, 11:52:13 AMMy observations of TT were the following:

1) he felt the pressure better and mived around better than DJ.

2) TT's eyes were focused downfield.  He wanted to make downfield plays.  Much better that way than DJ.

3) Kafka rolled TT more which baffles me as I have been pleasing for him to do that with DJ.

4) TT threw some accurate passes that should have been caught but missed some easy throws.

Conclusion:  play TT.  He's more willing to seek out deeper throws.

Good observations. I agree.

I am pretty sure they'll start Jones if/when he is healthy, but after last night they may be more circumspect about whether or not they want to keep him in if he's struggling badly (as he has done in multiple games this year).

True Blue

Necks are no joke, I would sit him until its no longer a concern, a neck injury and be problematic outside of the game itself.

https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1713723123520999825?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

EDjohnst1981

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

To answer the original post, IMO last night showed ONLY that Taylor is (at best) an average BACKUP quarterback. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

There has been much discussion around the duty of changing protections and just how much responsibility DJ has at the line of scrimmage. 

I am now wondering if the OL play looked a little better because those adjustments were improved with TT in the game.  Given that the line was even more patchwork last night, playing against good pass rushers, and still seem to have a better night, something changed.

Some of it I thought was the type of drops TT was taking.  For example, on a 3rd and 7, TT took a 3 step drop.  Von Miller was lined up over Neal.  It looked like Neal whiffed on the block,  but since Miller took an outside rush he took himself out of the play.  Had that been a 7 step drop, Miller would have been there on the 7th step. 

Did Neal whiff? Or did he know he didnt need to protect for a deep drop and positioned accordingly?

Was the better pass blocking mostly (or partially) that type of management of playcalling?

If it was, why wasn't this type of adjustment made weeks ago?

Is it a matter of what the coaches think DJ does well vs what TT does well? 

I am really puzzled by what looked like better pass protection.  To be clear I didnt thinking was good or great protection and TT's mobility made a big difference,  but what I saw was better than what I was expecting against a team leading the league in sacks.

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 16, 2023, 12:42:37 PMThere has been much discussion around the duty of changing protections and just how much responsibility DJ has at the line of scrimmage. 

I am now wondering if the OL play looked a little better because those adjustments were improved with TT in the game.  Given that the line was even more patchwork last night, playing against good pass rushers, and still seem to have a better night, something changed.

Some of it I thought was the type of drops TT was taking.  For example, on a 3rd and 7, TT took a 3 step drop.  Von Miller was lined up over Neal.  It looked like Neal whiffed on the block,  but since Miller took an outside rush he took himself out of the play.  Had that been a 7 step drop, Miller would have been there on the 7th step. 

Did Neal whiff? Or did he know he didnt need to protect for a deep drop and positioned accordingly?

Was the better pass blocking mostly (or partially) that type of management of playcalling?

If it was, why wasn't this type of adjustment made weeks ago?

Is it a matter of what the coaches think DJ does well vs what TT does well? 

I am really puzzled by what looked like better pass protection.  To be clear I didnt thinking was good or great protection and TT's mobility made a big difference,  but what I saw was better than what I was expecting against a team leading the league in sacks.

uconn: Nicely done as usual. 

Two points: Buffalo was down a lot of defenders, but even more importantly they had played in Europe last week.

In short, what we saw last evening IMO was the "easiest-to-beat" version of the Bills we will see all year (unless the QB gets hurt).

Bob

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 16, 2023, 12:55:49 PMuconn: Nicely done as usual. 

Two points: Buffalo was down a lot of defenders, but even more importantly they had played in Europe last week.

In short, what we saw last evening IMO was the "easiest-to-beat" version of the Bills we will see all year (unless the QB gets hurt).

Bob

Bob,

I am sure the travel took its toll, but thought they would be very motivated after a thumping that might have playoff seeding implications

Trench

All I'm saying is this league changes quickly and a QB controversy can manifest itself overnight.

T200

Quote from: Trench on October 16, 2023, 02:04:45 PMAll I'm saying is this league changes quickly and a QB controversy can manifest itself overnight.
In our situation, changing the QB does nothing for the success of the team. They will continue to lose while building for the future. Our 2025 starting QB is not on the roster yet.

It would be a controversy if Tyrod was slinging the ball up and down the field and the offense blew out the Bills by 30. Swapping Tyrod for Jones is the same as going from Kia to Hyundai.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

Let's see, Tyrod has started one game with us and he's 0-1. He scored a grand total of 9 points and couldn't score from the 1 yard line at the end of both halves.

Yet we're sitting here talking about how he plays better than Jones at a cheaper price when the $$$ is already spent.

What am I missing here?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Trench

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 02:13:55 PMIn our situation, changing the QB does nothing for the success of the team. They will continue to lose while building for the future. Our 2025 starting QB is not on the roster yet.

It would be a controversy if Tyrod was slinging the ball up and down the field and the offense blew out the Bills by 30. Swapping Tyrod for Jones is the same as going from Kia to Hyundai.

If Dallas loses tonight we can legitimately make a move and salvage our season (in my opinion). If Jones goes out and had another check down clunker u can bet there will be cries for a change.

Just my opinion

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 16, 2023, 01:46:39 PMBob,

I am sure the travel took its toll, but thought they would be very motivated after a thumping that might have playoff seeding implications

uconn: So did I, 100 percent.

But, apparently, playing a team that can't score touchdowns isn't very motivating. LOL

Also, although I sincerely believe true desperation might be strong enough to override the effects of traveling back-and-forth to Europe, it appears that mere "motivation" alone is not.

Bob

babywhales

If healthy Ild like to see if Jones could play a looser game. He had a front row seat watching Ty playing with nothing to loose, as such, simply trying to win.

I want to see if this lights a fire in Jones and he plays Less conservative, moves the ball downfield, etc
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S