News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

O- Line

Started by Trench, October 16, 2023, 12:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trench

As stated by others, Pugh had a calming influence on the line. Many of us felt he was washed up and blasted the idea of taking a flyer on him. Hopefully he continues to get his legs under him and teaches these young kids about life in the trenches. He really did a nice job in an uncomfortable spot against a top rushing team and defense and it was in national tv - so kudos to him.

Imagine if we get the other linemen back and somehow can steal a few games from division rivals down the road. Maybe the season won't be a total loss.

Fast Eddie Felson

I said from early on to sign Pugh.
He was probably rushed into service at guard and moves to tackle after 6 plays.
Remarkable effort imo.

TDToomer

I won't name names but there is on extreme Pugh hater in the GT who hates him so much that he would rather start the clowns on our practice squad.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

PSUBeirut

Let's be honest here, though- Pugh did an amazing job but it definitely took him some snaps at LT to get close to up to speed.  He was a complete turnstile for most of the 1st half- hardly even had a pass set at tackle position. 

Again- he did an amazing job by the end but at the start at least it was awful. 

I feel like we're such fans about this OL though....every week it seems like we try to think along the lines of "imagine if _________ actually turns out to be good?".  I mean, we just did this with Ezeudu at LT after the Cardinals game.  What if he becomes a good OT???  Could we push Neal to guard and then once Thomas and Smintz come back we'll finally have a good OL.... 

Now we have illusions about Justin Pugh, I guess.  Just imagine if Thomas can come back healthy (when is this going to happen??), Smintz coming back healthy (??), Neal improving (?????), and Pugh locking down one of the guard spots (????).  Then we'd only have one guard spot that sucks!   

I dunno, sorry for the bitterness, I'm just so over wishing and hoping about this OL.  It's been way too long since we've seen anything consistently even mediocre.  In the meantime we've completely ruined the effectiveness of our franchise QB, stud RB, and all the other shiny ornaments we've strung onto this offense.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 16, 2023, 08:45:23 AMLet's be honest here, though- Pugh did an amazing job but it definitely took him some snaps at LT to get close to up to speed.  He was a complete turnstile for most of the 1st half- hardly even had a pass set at tackle position. 

Again- he did an amazing job by the end but at the start at least it was awful. 

I feel like we're such fans about this OL though....every week it seems like we try to think along the lines of "imagine if _________ actually turns out to be good?".  I mean, we just did this with Ezeudu at LT after the Cardinals game.  What if he becomes a good OT???  Could we push Neal to guard and then once Thomas and Smintz come back we'll finally have a good OL.... 

Now we have illusions about Justin Pugh, I guess.  Just imagine if Thomas can come back healthy (when is this going to happen??), Smintz coming back healthy (??), Neal improving (?????), and Pugh locking down one of the guard spots (????).  Then we'd only have one guard spot that sucks!   

I dunno, sorry for the bitterness, I'm just so over wishing and hoping about this OL.  It's been way too long since we've seen anything consistently even mediocre.  In the meantime we've completely ruined the effectiveness of our franchise QB, stud RB, and all the other shiny ornaments we've strung onto this offense.

love the last sentence. i'd rather have a bunch of mediocre position players and a good-great oline. we have a bunch of ferrari's and porsche's with bald tires. what good are they in that condition?

T200

Can we talk about the Ezeudu injury? Not sure if anyone caught it and there was little mention of it.

We know he injured his big toe... but it was because he got beat and tried to kick/trip the defender. That's how he injured his toe!!!  :boooo:  :surrender:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

B1GBLUE

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 09:05:57 AMCan we talk about the Ezeudu injury? Not sure if anyone caught it and there was little mention of it.

We know he injured his big toe... but it was because he got beat and tried to kick/trip the defender. That's how he injured his toe!!!  :boooo:  :surrender:

probably for the best. he's been BRUTAL. really makes you wonder if they will ever try neal at LT. i get he's been a disaster at RT, but you have to at least see if you have something there. i wonder if they are concerned that if he plays well there...what do you do with thomas? obviously you dont move him. but what do you do with two good LT's and no good RT? i think at worst, if he does well at LT, you trade him. i think its foolish for the giants not to try this.

T200

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 09:10:43 AMprobably for the best. he's been BRUTAL. really makes you wonder if they will ever try neal at LT. i get he's been a disaster at RT, but you have to at least see if you have something there. i wonder if they are concerned that if he plays well there...what do you do with thomas? obviously you dont move him. but what do you do with two good LT's and no good RT? i think at worst, if he does well at LT, you trade him. i think its foolish for the giants not to try this.
Neal is too slow with his feet and does not have good lateral movement. If he can't do that on the right, he ain't doing it on the left.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

I was impressed by the line play last night.  I have to think Pugh was a major reason the line calmed down.

That and I think last night was Neal's best game as a professional
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jgrangers2

Pugh was fine once he got his sea legs under him. Couldn't expect much more from a guy coming off a major injury who was pulled off his couch two weeks ago and asked to play a position he's barely played

MightyGiants

Giants' OL Justin Pugh went from "straight off the couch" to straight to the fire. He expected to play left guard but due to in-game injuries, was moved to left tackle, where he had played six snaps his entire career. The plan was for him to play 25 snaps

https://x.com/adamschefter/status/1713965592414159125?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

Sunday night; he wound up playing 77 after spending the past year recovering from a torn ACL and being signed to the practice squad about 10 days ago. He didn't know cadence for the game, so he had to guess many times. Due to being on the practice squad and being elevated, he is technically a free agent and could sign with any team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 09:05:57 AMCan we talk about the Ezeudu injury? Not sure if anyone caught it and there was little mention of it.

A toe injury and he was driven off to the lockerroom in a cart?  Anyone thought that was unusual.  Seemed like the opposite of tough.

TDToomer

Quote from: Philosophers on October 16, 2023, 01:30:38 PMA toe injury and he was driven off to the lockerroom in a cart?  Anyone thought that was unusual.  Seemed like the opposite of tough.

Was Mark Bavaro tough?  He was sidelined for Turf Toe.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

Quote from: TDToomer on October 16, 2023, 02:11:13 PMWas Mark Bavaro tough?  He was sidelined for Turf Toe.

I am not talking about a chronic injury that takes longer to heal like what Bavaro had.  I'll bet he walked off the field.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on October 16, 2023, 01:30:38 PMA toe injury and he was driven off to the lockerroom in a cart?  Anyone thought that was unusual.  Seemed like the opposite of tough.

@T200

My guess is he had suffered turf toe.  The cart was a better alternative to hobbling to the locker room
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE