News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll just said the play at the end of the half…

Started by JT39, October 16, 2023, 12:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 07:58:23 AMYES! i thought i was the only one who noticed this. there was like 35 seconds on the clock and he calls a timeout with 27 seconds. we were half a second late getting that ball snapped on the last play. we NEEDED that time. EVERYONE knows you take shots to the end zone there, and if you dont get a td you kick the field goal. unreal. if jones did that you'd NEVER hear the end of it.
If Jones did what exactly?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 08:02:41 AMIf Jones did what exactly?

I assume make the boneheaded audible, which was indeed inexcusable. Why on earth was that even an alert play?   

B1GBLUE

Quote from: bamagiantfan on October 16, 2023, 07:00:51 AMI know we just paid Jones the be the guy, but I want to know by the end of this season if he is THE GUY. Offensive line issues aside, there are some backups in the league and rookie QBs outplaying him right now. If he is healthy, he plays, especially if Kafka is now going to call plays to move the pocket like he did for Taylor.

i really think kafka is the biggest problem. and i'm a little annoyed that they seemed to make a better/more effective game plan for tyrod. other coaches find ways to hide their deficiencies and maximize the weapons they do have. kafka does neither of these things. daboll bears some responsibility for this as well. i am curious to see how things look when we have barkley, schmitz, and thomas all back with jones. its too hard to judge anything until that happens.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: kingm56 on October 16, 2023, 08:06:15 AMI assume make the boneheaded audible, which was indeed inexcusable. Why on earth was that even an alert play?   

correct

True Blue

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:07:28 AMi really think kafka is the biggest problem. and i'm a little annoyed that they seemed to make a better/more effective game plan for tyrod. other coaches find ways to hide their deficiencies and maximize the weapons they do have. kafka does neither of these things. daboll bears some responsibility for this as well. i am curious to see how things look when we have barkley, schmitz, and thomas all back with jones. its too hard to judge anything until that happens.

Maybe they had a more effective plan because the QB playing did not restrict their ability as much

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on October 16, 2023, 08:06:15 AMI assume make the boneheaded audible, which was indeed inexcusable. Why on earth was that even an alert play?   

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:08:23 AMcorrect

Unless I'm missing something, Tyrod is taking his lumps, as he should. I don't see it being any different if it was Jones.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 08:09:55 AMUnless I'm missing something, Tyrod is taking his lumps, as he should. I don't see it being any different if it was Jones.

i think people are looking for any reason to move on from jones. every bad thing he does gets magnified. and every decent thing tyrod does is fuel for the anti jones people.

T200

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:25:42 AMi think people are looking for any reason to move on from jones. every bad thing he does gets magnified. and every decent thing tyrod does is fuel for the anti jones people.
First, let's ditch the "anti-Jones" and "pro-Jones" labels. We all want him to succeed. Putting people in boxes just adds fuel to a fiery debate.

Second, did you see anything from Taylor last night that Jones does better?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:25:42 AMi think people are looking for any reason to move on from jones. every bad thing he does gets magnified. and every decent thing tyrod does is fuel for the anti jones people.

I think people are simply observing facts. Taylor was no worse than what we have seen from Jones this year. And in fairness he was probably better. I think it is a fair and frankly relevant observation given the cost disparity of the two players.

What you claim above could easily be reversed and stated that those with a proclivity to defend Jones will use any and every excuse to do so. So with due respect it's not as one-sided as you make it out to be.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 08:34:59 AMFirst, let's ditch the "anti-Jones" and "pro-Jones" labels. We all want him to succeed. Putting people in boxes just adds fuel to a fiery debate.

yes, audibling into a running play with 14 seconds left and no timeouts. that play cost us the game, hands down.

i saw a game plan that maximized tyrods abilities. things we havent done with jones all year.

True Blue

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:44:05 AMyes, audibling into a running play with 14 seconds left and no timeouts. that play cost us the game, hands down.

i saw a game plan that maximized tyrods abilities. things we havent done with jones all year.

Maybe they don't feel DJ can, or don't trust him to do so?

They have similar skillsets, and although Jones is more physically gifted, he has panicked behind an OL that Tyrod did not and has not been convincingly better, and Tyrod had them a play from winning the game, which the refs arguably botched against a top team on the road.

T200

Quote from: B1GBLUE on October 16, 2023, 08:44:05 AMyes, audibling into a running play with 14 seconds left and no timeouts. that play cost us the game, hands down.

Jones has had his "WTF?" moments too. Let's not forget the pick-6 against Miami that had Daboll tossing the tablet.

Kafka has moved the pocket for Jones and rolled him out. The big difference I saw last night between the two QBs was Taylor didn't get panicky in the face of the pressure and he took shots downfield. Jones readily takes the short stuff.

And before you mention the dink-and-dunk from Tyrod on the last series, it's what the defense was giving them. And it worked. And we would have won had it not been for those meddling refs, despite Tyrod's blunder at the end of the first half.

quacker

The most notable positive difference I saw between Taylor and Jones is that Taylor was able to throw some deep completions. He did this by getting rid of the ball early and trusting his receiver to be where he was supposed to be. It seems to me that Jones never does this and by the time the receiver gets some separation downfield he is either getting sacked or being pressured to escape one. Taylor was able to take advantage of the speed of Slayton and Hyatt.

Messiah717

Quote from: quacker on October 16, 2023, 09:11:42 AMThe most notable positive difference I saw between Taylor and Jones is that Taylor was able to throw some deep completions. He did this by getting rid of the ball early and trusting his receiver to be where he was supposed to be. It seems to me that Jones never does this and by the time the receiver gets some separation downfield he is either getting sacked or being pressured to escape one. Taylor was able to take advantage of the speed of Slayton and Hyatt.

There's no doubt the line is an issue but even with time Jones doesn't look to go downfield.  He went from Danny Dimes to Checkdown Danny for a reason.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 08:34:59 AMFirst, let's ditch the "anti-Jones" and "pro-Jones" labels. We all want him to succeed. Putting people in boxes just adds fuel to a fiery debate.

Yes.  Red zone production.  Jones had the Giants at 68% last year, top 5 in the league.  Taylor was 0 for 5.  Even with all of the dysfunction this year Jones had them converting on 45% of red zone opportunities.  Taylor was 0 for 5.

And while Jones has certainly has had his share of WTF moments, they have been physical.  I don't think he has ever done anything as stupid as giving up 2-3 shots into the end zone for a half-ending momentum killing check down to a run.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll