News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll just said the play at the end of the half…

Started by JT39, October 16, 2023, 12:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 16, 2023, 11:39:22 AMYes.  Red zone production.  Jones had the Giants at 68% last year, top 5 in the league.  Taylor was 0 for 5.  Even with all of the dysfunction this year Jones had them converting on 45% of red zone opportunities.  Taylor was 0 for 5.

And while Jones has certainly has had his share of WTF moments, they have been physical.  I don't think he has ever done anything as stupid as giving up 2-3 shots into the end zone for a half-ending momentum killing check down to a run.
Good points.

I'd submit that Tyrod played one game. I'd like to think that if he played 5 games, his red zone production would go up.

When you say physical, does that include not seeing open receivers?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: quacker on October 16, 2023, 09:11:42 AMThe most notable positive difference I saw between Taylor and Jones is that Taylor was able to throw some deep completions. He did this by getting rid of the ball early and trusting his receiver to be where he was supposed to be. It seems to me that Jones never does this and by the time the receiver gets some separation downfield he is either getting sacked or being pressured to escape one. Taylor was able to take advantage of the speed of Slayton and Hyatt.

quacker: This is the ONLY thing about last night that caused me to wonder, "Would Jones have thrown that ball?" or "Would the Giants be better off with Taylor at QB?"

My memory is not great, but I think there were about six such balls, mostly to Slayton, only two of which were completed. The others were bad throws, except for the final (and most crucial) one, which was ever-so-slightly under-thrown (allowing the defender to make a great play - without committing pass interference - to break it up). 

I'm inclined to give Taylor a "Mulligan" in general because he is/was rusty from riding the bench. On the other hand, I'm also inclined to believe Jones would have checked down at least half of those six throws. It is unknown whether that's good or bad news... it's good if two or three would have been completed on the check-down... but I'm not entirely certain WHICH HALF Jones would have checked down.

If he checked down on the two which Taylor completed, the net result IMO would have been negative. If he checked-down the three bad throws, the net result would have been positive.

Maybe someone will review the all-22 and determine whether check-downs were available on the six mid-range attempts, but I'm not wasting my time because I can guarantee you Jones will play once the doctors clear him and he states that he's ready.  Accordingly, I consider all the fol de rol discussing who should start the next game to be superfluous.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

A run pass option should not hVe been the playcall even if the run part was not to happen because a QB could err as TT did.

Roll out pass with option for TT to run should have been the play call.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on October 16, 2023, 12:27:11 PMA run pass option should not hVe been the playcall even if the run part was not to happen because a QB could err as TT did.

Roll out pass with option for TT to run should have been the play call.

Phil: In that situation, IMO you (1) trust your veteran to make a veteran decision; (2) even if you don't trust him, you MUST have a run-pass option because certain defenses make getting a single yard very very easy; and (3) there are good reasons why exercising the run option could have been an acceptable choice.

My problem with what happened is two-fold: (a) the run option was the WRONG run option; and (b) the obvious point about the severe penalty for failing to score (i.e., no second chance).

Anyone who knows anything about Barkley (and I assume the Giants' coaches know EVERYTHING about Barkley) knows that he excels at launching himself into the air to get the final yard at the goal line. I'll acknowledge that there may be a reason (injury-related) why they didn't ask Barkley to do it last night, but IMO there is no other excuse for not having THAT running play as the run-option.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 11:56:09 AMGood points.

I'd submit that Tyrod played one game. I'd like to think that if he played 5 games, his red zone production would go up.

When you say physical, does that include not seeing open receivers?

Yes.  Taylor's blunder was a lack of situational awareness that was made before the ball was even snapped.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

BluesCruz

dont shoot the messenger but what HC
even has such an audible in that situation?
insane it was available, and insane TT called it

He should have been given loud and clear pass only plays in the headset

there were 3 choices on that play- pass, pass, pass and QB run if there was hole you could drive a truck through but no, not even then
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"