News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What a difference a name can make at QB

Started by MightyGiants, October 16, 2023, 09:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:30:39 AMFactually speaking Taylor produced no better (and some might argue a bit worse) than Jones.  What's more important production or how they look producing?

Taylor produced like a backup QB. It's to be expected. He's also paid commensurate to his production.

Jones's production to this point is on par with Taylor's (a backup QB). His pay is significantly higher.

More importantly, that extra money spent on Jones could have been invested in the offensive line, which we all universally agree is historically horrendous.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on October 16, 2023, 10:46:28 AMTaylor produced like a backup QB. It's to be expected. He's also paid commensurate to his production.

Jones's production to this point is on par with Taylor's (a backup QB). His pay is significantly higher.

More importantly, that extra money spent on Jones could have been invested in the offensive line, which we all universally agree is historically horrendous.

Is the bar for backup QBs to produce only 6 points (Barkley accounted for the other 3 with his two long runs, as discussed earlier) against a depleted Bills defense?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:30:39 AMFactually speaking Taylor produced no better (and some might argue a bit worse) than Jones.  What's more important production or how they look producing?

How is it factual? Based on what?

They are equal, interchangeable players, however one comes $35 Million cheaper

A Tyrod Taylor offense, with no DJ contract, allows them to add a RG, and replace the depth guys like Lemiuex, Peart etc, and maybe a little bit on defense or WR as well.

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:49:34 AMIs the bar for backup QBs to produce only 6 points (Barkley accounted for the other 3 with his two long runs, as discussed earlier) against a depleted Bills defense?

if DJ played you would not have discredited those 3 points.

Anyway, 6 points is double what DJ scored against Dallas and Seattle combined. So maybe the bar is set there?

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 16, 2023, 10:50:08 AMHow is it factual? Based on what?

They are equal, interchangeable players, however one comes $35 Million cheaper

A Tyrod Taylor offense, with no DJ contract, allows them to add a RG, and replace the depth guys like Lemiuex, Peart etc, and maybe a little bit on defense or WR as well.

Yards, points, and red zone production
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:49:34 AMIs the bar for backup QBs to produce only 6 points (Barkley accounted for the other 3 with his two long runs, as discussed earlier) against a depleted Bills defense?
Don't take those 3 points away from Taylor. He was still the QB and directed the offense the entire game.

The bar is set for Taylor because he only had the opportunity to play one game.

From a production standpoint, in 5 games, Jones has done no better or no worse.

Point being, we could have exactly what we have now with 40 million to spend on other positions, specifically along the offensive line.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

sooners56

A backup QB plays just as bad/well as the starter Jones is a bad thing. Goes to show Jones is not it.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Doc16LT56

Quote from: True Blue on October 16, 2023, 10:51:04 AMif DJ played you would not have discredited those 3 points.

Anyway, 6 points is double what DJ scored against Dallas and Seattle combined. So maybe the bar is set there?

Lol. Sometimes you just have to laugh at the inaneness of it all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 16, 2023, 10:51:04 AMif DJ played you would not have discredited those 3 points.

Why pick those two games?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

Jones is a "dead man walking" as a Giant QB. Unfortunately his "appeal" process will last through next season. I really do believe the conversation between Mara and Schoen/Dabol this past off-season went something like this. Mara "we really screwed up this kid. let's compensate him. Schoen/Dabol "grumble, rumble, grumble. You're the boss. BUT we won't be saddled with Gettlemen's folly. Two year out built in. Complain about the play calling all you want. However a QB is called a Field General for a reason. Dabol rightfully expects his QB to make the right calls, and see what he sees on the field. Hence his discussion with Taylor after the half, and his Surface toss with Jones.

True Blue

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 11:22:57 AMWhy pick those two games?

Why discredit a third of the offensive points on a drive the QB led?

AZGiantFan

I don't get the Taylor played better argument.  They scored 9 points.  They were 0 for 5 in the red zone, something that had been a real strength, last year.  He made a completely unacceptable rookie error at the end of the half to cost points.  They could have had 2-3 pass attempts into the end zone rather than checking into a half-ending run.  A rookie would be embarrassed to make that play, let alone a 35 year old veteran.  He was horrific.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Doc16LT56

I'm telling you all we are in a time warp back to arguing about whether Kent Graham is actually better than Danny Kanell (he was/is). And the Danny Kanell dead enders refuse to give an inch of ground. They would rather see the franchise remain where it is than to accept that Kanell stinks.

Difference being Kanell 2.0 is making 40 million which is a joke.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 16, 2023, 11:26:09 AMI don't get the Taylor played better argument.  They scored 9 points.  They were 0 for 5 in the red zone, something that had been a real strength, last year.  He made a completely unacceptable rookie error at the end of the half to cost points.  They could have had 2-3 pass attempts into the end zone rather than checking into a half-ending run.  A rookie would be embarrassed to make that play, let alone a 35 year old veteran.  He was horrific.

I think the general observation people have made was not really that he was "better", but more that he was about the same, give or take. He was neither materially better nor materially worse than Jones has been this year, despite being less than 1/7th of the cost.

And if one game is not a relevant sample (which is a perfectly reasonable pushback point), consider their total careers. Taylor has a visibly higher passer rating, a visibly higher YPA, and a much better career record despite playing on bad teams for the majority of his career. I can't find career QBRs, but looking at each player's seasonal QBRs over the courses of their career, Taylor's appears to be clearly better.

In short, there is just no evidence that Jones is materially better either over a large sample or just by watching last night's game and comparing it to what Jones has done this season. They seem similar in caliber. Jones just costs much, much more.

MagicRat

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that neither is the long-term answer for our club.

Bit of a "no xxxx Sherlock" statement on some levels but whether we screwed Jones up or he was never "the one", I think his long term ship has sailed.
I'd say that, in the short term, Taylor is a better option for two reasons.
1) He's shiftier behind a collapsing line, moving more effectively east to west;
2) His experience stands him in better stead for the type of crisis management situations we'll encounter weekly.
Smell my cheese you mother!