News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What a difference a name can make at QB

Started by MightyGiants, October 16, 2023, 09:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 16, 2023, 11:26:09 AMI don't get the Taylor played better argument.  They scored 9 points.  They were 0 for 5 in the red zone, something that had been a real strength, last year.  He made a completely unacceptable rookie error at the end of the half to cost points.  They could have had 2-3 pass attempts into the end zone rather than checking into a half-ending run.  A rookie would be embarrassed to make that play, let alone a 35 year old veteran.  He was horrific.

T2 didn't just cost points, he cost the team the game
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Bottom line, gentlemen, no QB could possibly be expected to function at all behind this horrifically bad OL. Not Daniel Jones. Not Pat Mahomes. Not anyone!!!

Except for Tyrod Taylor. Tyrod definitely should have done more behind this OL. And that's why I think Daniel Jones is a franchise QB. Or at least that's why I think we can't properly evaluate Daniel until he has a proper OL and a better OC.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 16, 2023, 11:25:20 AMWhy discredit a third of the offensive points on a drive the QB led?

Because the ball was moved to FG range on two long runs by Barkley.  Was there something special in the way Tyrod handed Barkley the ball that you credit him?  Now that I answered your question, how about answering mine?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on October 16, 2023, 11:51:38 AMBottom line, gentlemen, no QB could possibly be expected to function at all behind this horrifically bad OL. Not Daniel Jones. Not Pat Mahomes. Not anyone!!!

Except for Tyrod Taylor. Tyrod definitely should have done more behind this OL. And that's why I think Daniel Jones is a franchise QB. Or at least that's why I think we can't properly evaluate Daniel until he has a proper OL and a better OC.

Let's turn that around.  How does Tyrod Taylor putting up 6 (or 9 points if you count Barkley's long runs as T2's accomplishments) in one game prove Daniel Jones is bad?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Daniel Jones' play on the field is what demonstrates he's a bad player. It has nothing to do with Taylor.

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 11:54:39 AMLet's turn that around.  How does Tyrod Taylor putting up 6 (or 9 points if you count Barkley's long runs as T2's accomplishments) in one game prove Daniel Jones is bad?
It doesn't. Jones isn't bad. He's just average at best. TT is a back up QB for a reason. Last night TT made a bad call that maybe cost them the game on the road against a prominent team. A couple of weeks ago DJ threw a pick six that probably cost them the game against a decent team. Both Giant QBs have flaws. Both are average at best. As a fan, I want to see better than average from my QB.

Bob In PA

As for this topic in general, IMO all we can say is Taylor played well enough to be the Giants' backup QB. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

At this point I want TT because he seems more comfortable in a collapsing pocket and can move better and is looking downfield.  At least with those attributes we have a shot to make a downfield play and score.

OL needs a rebuild.  LG, RG and RT.  Bring at least 1 high priced top tier free agent but ideally 2 for leadership and draft the third.  As importantly, establish the five starters in May and let them build cohesiveness early and throughout camp.  Please no more experimenting with different combos.  Settle on one early.

Painter

Perhaps, we can only see what we want to see in terms of little picture/ big picture. Whatever, I might choose to conclude from a comparison of Taylor and Jones, it does nothing but reaffirm what by now should be obvious to everyone. No, I'm not talking about the terrible officiating that stole the game from Our Heroes who otherwise did whatever else they could on Offense to lose it.

I'm talking about playing Quarterback, or indeed any of the so called skill positions as an essentially vacant exercise behind what has been and remains a non-functional Oline. Simply put, the Giants have had no Offense in 23 of 24 Quarters played thus far. 

If we subtract DJ's and the Giants now inexplicable 31 point, 2nd Half comeback to beat the Cardinals- the biggest of such in more than 70 years- from their current lowest in League 71 points, we see that they have managed to score a mere 40 points in the other 5 games, all losses. Not even DaBears or the 0-6 Carolina Panthers Offenses have been quite so futile.

No matter how many little pictures we choose to paint, there is one huge blank canvas in front of us all. It is named Daniel Jones, who following his "career year" and leading the Giants to their first Playoff win in 11 years, is currently guaranteed to be paid $85 million- "Guaranteed" plus another $35 million in mostly easy to achieve incentives from his $160 million deal through 2026.

Thus, Daniel Jones, barring disability, and given his actual and live and dead cap cost will be the Giants starting QB through next year and most likely 2025 if not longer. So why has the canvas become blank, and why is it a dilemma? Because with the League's worst Oline, effectively no Oline, the paint box is empty, and there is no way for the Giants brain trust to begin to estimate the return on its investment or to plan beyond a stopgap.

We can blab all we want as I have just done but unless and until the single and by far the most important question, which involves one name only, will go unanswered.

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 11:50:11 AMT2 didn't just cost points, he cost the team the game

I wouldn't go that far because you can't really assume those points wouldn't have changed the second half.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 11:52:26 AMBecause the ball was moved to FG range on two long runs by Barkley.  Was there something special in the way Tyrod handed Barkley the ball that you credit him?  Now that I answered your question, how about answering mine?

Maybe those 2 long runs came on check downs  /sarcasm/
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

beaugestus

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on October 16, 2023, 11:34:32 AMI'm telling you all we are in a time warp back to arguing about whether Kent Graham is actually better than Danny Kanell (he was/is). And the Danny Kanell dead enders refuse to give an inch of ground. They would rather see the franchise remain where it is than to accept that Kanell stinks.

Difference being Kanell 2.0 is making 40 million which is a joke.

That is not the memory and at my age it's not what I remember. Now, I thought that Graham was a better player. In his last year where he defeated the eventual SB champs Denver, he was replaced by Kerry Collins the following year.

Trench

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 16, 2023, 10:30:39 AMFactually speaking Taylor produced no better (and some might argue a bit worse) than Jones.  What's more important production or how they look producing?

Amani Toomer said otherwise. I trust him as an expert.

I wish I could post the clip for everyone to hear.

Trench

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 16, 2023, 12:33:00 PMAs for this topic in general, IMO all we can say is Taylor played well enough to be the Giants' backup QB. Bob

If he played better than Jones (which many believed he did) then he should be given a chance again

TDToomer

Quote from: beaugestus on October 16, 2023, 01:42:37 PMThat is not the memory and at my age it's not what I remember. Now, I thought that Graham was a better player. In his last year where he defeated the eventual SB champs Denver, he was replaced by Kerry Collins the following year.

Collins > Graham
Graham > Kanell
Kanell > Brown

Every QB change Fassell made from 97-99 was the correct one.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs