News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Giants are 8.5 point underdogs against the Commanders

Started by MightyGiants, November 17, 2023, 01:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

If you were betting, do you take the Giants or the Commanders?  Why?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Commanders. We will score 10 points. They will score a lot more. Especially if Thibs is out.

Our rookie CB has hit a wall and I can see us playing guys like Dexter a little less each game.

kingm56

Quote from: JT39 on November 17, 2023, 01:41:03 PMCommanders. We will score 10 points. They will score a lot more. Especially if Thibs is out.

Our rookie CB has hit a wall and I can see us playing guys like Dexter a little less each game.

Also, Sam Howell is quietly putting together a very competent season playing behind one of, if not the worst, offensive lines in the league.  Just another example of a young QB enjoying some success, regardless of oline play.  If he continues to improve, he'll present the Commanders with an interesting choice.

His 17 game projection:

4800 passing yards; 30 TDs; 15 int; 67%; 91.5 rating.

Those are dang good numbers!

Uni

The Giants already beat this team that now has a dimished pass rush after trading away Sweat and Young. I think they can win outright, but they should cover

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

SlotCorner

I am not sure how we win this one. Their o line is awful, but Thibs is out. They have decent WRs and Jackson will most likely be out and Banks is on the injury report. If McBride and Hawkins play significant snaps, we're in trouble. We dominated on defense in our first game against them and it came down to a 4th down play at the end.

How do we score? DeVito is who he is and its not NFL caliber. Neal will still be out. Saquon can only do so much. I think we'll be playing catch up again. They're home and the seat is getting warm under Rivera. The players will play to save a coach they like.

I think betting the Commies to cover is a decent bet.

DaveBrown74

When I first saw this line on Monday morning, it was 10. Then it was 9.5 the next day. Now 8.5.

Clearly people are betting the Giants, and on some level I do get that. 10 points is an awful lot for the Commanders to be laying against ANYONE. It seems absurd, actually. 8.5 is less absurd than 10, but it's still a fair number of points to be laying on a team that sold off good to very good starters for draft picks ahead of the deadline and whom the Giants themselves just recently beat.

I am reminded though of an old saying you often hear in the trading/investing community, which is "don't try to catch a falling knife." I am sure some (or many) here are familiar with this one. For those who never heard it, the meaning is kind of self-explanatory: when a stock (or other financial asset) is going down in price very quickly, while it may be tempting to stick your hand in and buy, it is often not a good idea, because the price is likely going down for a real reason and may have a lot further to fall.

Obviously, it would be dumb to equate NFL betting to investing, and I am not doing that, but to the extent that there are occasional similarities, I would point out that, right now at least, particularly with the QB situation being what it is, the Giants are something of a falling knife. Because it feels that way to me, this is not a game I would ever bet.

If I absolutely had to though, I would probably take the Giants and say a prayer.