News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What is the problem with WAITING next year to draft a QB ?

Started by brownelvis54, January 08, 2024, 12:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 02:37:32 PMThis team is significantly further along than most teams that inherent a new Qb. Better than the Texans roster that got Stroud, better than the Bengals roster that got Burrow, Miami was a worse off when they got Tua and the list goes on. If we get a Qb1 this offseason we are a playoff team next year easily.

These are not your father's Texans.  Even with Tank Dell and Jimmy Ward on IR they have a stronger lineup than the Giants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

I fully expect the Giants to strike while the iron is hot. The Giants, imo, will 100% take a Qb if either of Williams, Maye, or Daniel's is available at pick 6.  Next years QB class is not looking too hot compared to this years so waiting a year is not ideal. QB hell is what is staring the Giants in the face for years if they don't get a QB THIS year!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Jclayton92

Quote from: Stringer Bell on January 08, 2024, 03:15:57 PMCompletely disagree. The Texans offense is more talented than ours. Significantly better WRs, better OL, comparable RB and TE. And the Bengals offense is WAY better than ours. Not sure how you could even compare the two.
I wasn't referring to just the offense but the team as a whole.

The Texans
Nico Collins, Noah brown, Robert woods at Wr and Devin Singletary at RB.. we have significantly better skills as Schultz their TE is good but we have 2 good TEs also. The Texans have a great LT just like we do but had issues at Ol all season too.

Bengals
Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins at Wr were clearly better but our team outside Burrow and the two wrs are better than the Bengals when Burrow was drafted.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 03:30:23 PMThese are not your father's Texans.  Even with Tank Dell and Jimmy Ward on IR they have a stronger lineup than the Giants

I know, I've followed the Texans all season. They have some talent but I wouldn't say they have more talent than we do team wide.

Their schedule did a ton for them even moreso than what our schedule did for us last season. They had a cupcake schedule outside the Ravens/Bengals.

https://www.houstontexans.com/schedule/

StompYouOT

I hope we didn't win our way out of a top WR as well.  This is an offense heavy draft so we're not getting a dominant defender and an OL at #6 isn't making this team better.

I will watch tonight's game and see if either McCarthy or Penix really impress.  We know these draft boards change a lot by April/May.  There's always some sliding up or down.  Maybe we can get a QB in Day 2 or else someone else climbs up high enough to be worth picking at #6.

jgrangers2

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 03:30:23 PMThese are not your father's Texans.  Even with Tank Dell and Jimmy Ward on IR they have a stronger lineup than the Giants

That Texans O-line still isn't great and I'm not sure they have better wide receivers than we do. Are Nico Collins and Tank Dell significantly better than Jalin Hyatt and Wan'dale Robinson? I think CJ Stroud is just significantly better than the guys we've had under center all year. A new QB who can process and create a vertical threat can make us look a lot better.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 08, 2024, 06:03:53 PMAre Nico Collins and Tank Dell significantly better than Jalin Hyatt and Wan'dale Robinson?

Yes, and it's not close.

coggs

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 12:42:53 PMThe problem with that is that unless you have a QB none of that matters.  We have a solid defense now, we just can't score points.
they can't score points because they can't block.

Jclayton92

Quote from: coggs on January 08, 2024, 08:14:59 PMthey can't score points because they can't block.
Look around the NFL there is maybe 3 elite olines in the NFL. The Rest are either ok or hot garbage, and the biggest difference is whether they have a QB or not.

AYM

With the way Daboll is teetering, no. Let him show some improvement with the roster we've got. It would be bad if we drafted a QB and then have to fire Daboll and end up dictating the direction of the team based on a QB who could be a dud (like Daniel Jones).

We need to get the coach, QB, and GM on the same schedule so they're working together.

katkavage

Quote from: AYM on January 08, 2024, 08:31:51 PMWith the way Daboll is teetering, no. Let him show some improvement with the roster we've got. It would be bad if we drafted a QB and then have to fire Daboll and end up dictating the direction of the team based on a QB who could be a dud (like Daniel Jones).

We need to get the coach, QB, and GM on the same schedule so they're working together.
That should have happened when they came in two years ago. And before that when Gettleman came aboard. It won't ever happen as long as Mara is the owner.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 08:30:08 PMLook around the NFL there is maybe 3 elite olines in the NFL. The Rest are either ok or hot garbage, and the biggest difference is whether they have a QB or not.

If you can build a line with even 3 above average dudes, you're ahead of the game. The Texans still only have two guys fitting that description according to PFF. They were, by no means, in better shape last year than we are now.

coggs

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 08, 2024, 08:30:08 PMLook around the NFL there is maybe 3 elite olines in the NFL. The Rest are either ok or hot garbage, and the biggest difference is whether they have a QB or not.
This line was historically bad.  Allowed the 2nd most sacks since it became an official stat.  And, that is with 3 QB's who can actually move.  Not as if they had pure pocket passers who couldn't scramble.

AYM

I think PFF Or someone did an analysis.  To roughly combine their findings with your categories, there are actually 4 categories of OLs in the NFL: Elite, Ok, Hot Garbage, and the Giants. The Giants were far below hot garbage.

Jclayton92

Quote from: AYM on January 08, 2024, 09:07:59 PMI think PFF Or someone did an analysis.  To roughly combine their findings with your categories, there are actually 4 categories of OLs in the NFL: Elite, Ok, Hot Garbage, and the Giants. The Giants were far below hot garbage.
I'm not saying they weren't hot garbage, but a new Oline Coach, a Couple FA pieces, and a healthy group will look significantly better next season as long they aren't trotting Jones back out there.

As bad as the line was, Taylor made it look serviceable the past two weeks even with a few sacks.